THE Boat trip

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: THE Boat trip

Postby terechgracz » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:11 pm

czaper2 wrote:
terechgracz wrote:People that aren't sailing boat shouldn't be able to use any attack move against people not inside same vessel, that way we have temporary solution.

You still could swim inside someone knarr and give them beating.

Couldn't someone just put alts in their empty boat slots?

Could, but you still could attack anyone as a player piloting another vessel, but with people not being able to attack from backslots would make this botted knarr strategy useless, except for ranged combat it should be adressed too.
terechgracz

Postby Makzul78 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Ocerion wrote:No one knows how to fix it? It seems pretty obvious if you ask me. Don't let people piloting snekkja's or knarrs attack. Don't allow boats to be destroyed with KO'd folks in them. Blammo. Problem fixed.

I support your suggestion, but it doesn't fix the issue that alts with points in 15 melee combat are able to knock a character THIS fast.
jorb wrote:Inb4 red bounding boxes, movement indication vectors, &c&c. Bye art, hello matrix, tru pvp4lyfe #winning.
Makzul78

Postby Potjeh » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Boat to boat combat should be ranged weapons only. If bows are too weak, maybe knarr should have a slot in which you could mount a ballista for more damage.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby talon00302 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:29 pm

talon00302

Postby svino » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Just let only the driver of the knarr attack? same for all other vessels like rowboat/snekkja/sleds etc.
svino

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Being able to board a huge ass ship in a nanosecond is a problem.
Being able to turn a huge vessel 180 degrees in a nanosecond is another problem.
Knarrs not being slowed in shallow water by their big draught might be a problem?
Being able to do MELEE attacks from a ship as long as ITS collision box hits your target, no matter where you sit in it is THE problem.

Potjeh wrote:Boat to boat combat should be ranged weapons only. If bows are too weak, maybe knarr should have a slot in which you could mount a ballista for more damage.

Maybe if knarrs had some sort of turning speed, max health and ballista damage that would be affected by quality, rather than only buffing speed, this would work nice.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby CSPAN » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:54 pm

No good ideas allowed guys, c'mon, you know where you are.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby ErdTod » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:55 pm

I think boat movement should also be not as swift, i.e. itshould take some time and momentum for a knarr to change direction/rotate and gain speed, and not instantly swim at full speed. This would make it harder to bodyblock people, and would look more natural. I do not have suggestions about how combat in vehicles shoudl work, but of course all hitting at once sucks in PvP very much. Maybe ships can ram each other? I.e. if Knarr rams Snekkja, both get destroyed. But if rams rowboat, Knarr only get damaged and owboat destroyed. So you can threaten with a big ship, but with disabled ability of all crew attacking at once.

Or introduce moves queue, where each crew member could contribute with a move to a general queue of movements, but only one movement at a time. And openings/damage is calculated per knarr based on average stats of crew, and distributed to all characters as such. I.e. if you use naked alt + a titan, in calculations it'll be average of both, and the titan will get hit as much as naked alt.
ErdTod

Postby Hasta » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:58 pm

@mods this has become a grabbag thread, there were quite a few of the same type. "Aquatic vessel movement thread" would b a nice way to compile all these. As well as the "allow a rowboat to get attached to an oceanic vessel" threads.
Hasta

Postby VDZ » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Vassteel wrote:i dont think there has been a ban in a while, Extortion of the devs should be a bannable offense.

good thing i dont use his shitty client

Consider this: Shubla could have done this, and immediately released his griefing tool, without any communication towards the devs. Would that be a bannable offense? Neither griefing nor releasing bot programs/scripts is bannable in Haven. Why should that same action become bannable for warning devs beforehand, giving them a chance to prepare?

wonder-ass wrote:water is still one of the few things that has bin the same since legacy risky and deadly.

Legacy did not have 10-character death ships that are twice as fast as your rowboat.

Makzul78 wrote:
Ocerion wrote:No one knows how to fix it? It seems pretty obvious if you ask me. Don't let people piloting snekkja's or knarrs attack. Don't allow boats to be destroyed with KO'd folks in them. Blammo. Problem fixed.

I support your suggestion, but it doesn't fix the issue that alts with points in 15 melee combat are able to knock a character THIS fast.

The problem of sudden ship ganks would be mostly solved if the knarr/snekkja cannot initiate combat. Forcing the characters involved to step onto land for a bit to initiate combat and then get back onto the ship should allow the victim some time to at least get to land. Bonus points for making boarding a ship take a second or so rather than being instant.

Potjeh wrote:Boat to boat combat should be ranged weapons only. If bows are too weak, maybe knarr should have a slot in which you could mount a ballista for more damage.

This makes a lot of sense. Characters punching each other on different boats never really made sense.

Hasta wrote:@mods this has become a grabbag thread, there were quite a few of the same type. "Aquatic vessel movement thread" would b a nice way to compile all these. As well as the "allow a rowboat to get attached to an oceanic vessel" threads.

This isn't a grab bag of random ideas; it's more like a brainstorm session to find a solution to the problem of knarrs being able to gank players on water within a second.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas