please just fix mystic.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

please just fix mystic.

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:52 am

Every single world the same complaints are made about mystic and i'm pretty certain the dev's have never once completed the credo.

Experience "EVENT_NAME_HERE" is the actual worst quest in any credo (except scholar when it gives bullshit like "study 3 golden eggs"), the sole reason for this is because there is no indication as to how long you have to wait to get the event you need, it could be off cooldown and ready to go, or it could be up to 2 weeks wait.

The absolutely stupid argument of "its supposed to be difficult lol" is not valid here, time gates are not difficult they are just completely inconvenient and are enough to force people to quit your game. It is literally taught in universities that teach Games Design courses how monumentally bad and detrimental to players experiences within a game time gates are. Equally, "you can just abandon it lol" is just as invalid as that is a core screaming sign of terrible design if the go-to answer by everybody is "abandon it".

Lets look at absolute worst case scenario, you have done a few othere credo lines before mystic, for argument sake, you have 12 quests per level, not even clsoe to worst case but lets roll with it. Every single one of your quests with bad RNG is "Experience "NATURAL_RESOURCE_EVENT"" and every single event is one you had the previous day so you have up to 7 days to wait. that would take 420 real days to complete to give some perspective as to exactly why time gates of this nature are so cripplingly bad for video game design.

Please either just straight up remove experience "EVENT_NAME_HERE" from mystic or change it so that its an event you can actually go and trigger or give some information about how long until the player can trigger the event again.

every world the dev's acknowledge that credos have issues and yet every single world they ignore the complaints from their players about EXACTLY why they are bad.

Mystic is considered (one of) the worst credos in the game to play through by the vast majority of players because of these awful quests, please fix this
Last edited by Pills on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pills

Re: please just fix mystic.

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:52 am

its supposed to be difficult lol
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:55 am

Ardennesss wrote:its supposed to be difficult lol

dude either contribute to the topic or just don't post.
Pills

Postby ErdTod » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:58 am

On the other hand, Mystic has one of the best bonuses from credos. Making it hard to aquire makes it not a "required" credo, because some would not have patience to go through the experience quests. Otherwise just everyone would be mystics.
ErdTod

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am

ErdTod wrote:On the other hand, Mystic has one of the best bonuses from credos. Making it hard to aquire makes it not a "required" credo, because some would not have patience to go through the experience quests. Otherwise just everyone would be mystics.

I agree that there should be some difficulty to mystic, and my problem isn't that experience events exist, its there there is no "real" difficulty to a time gate. This has been well documented by countless leading designers in the industry and in many educational courses and literature.

If it was changed to only giving experience events that you can get right now with no cooldown and will trigger as soon as you meet hte requirement to trigger it, then it still has the difficulty of finding the event. For instance, "crashing through the woods" i would be more inclined to not abandon this if i hadn't just seen an ent yesterday and gotten the event, however, given how rare ents are and how I have absolutely zero indication on how long it is before i can trigger that event again, there is no reason for me to keep the quest at all because, as i said in the original, if i was to do this for every quest it would take upwards of 420 real days to complete the credo if I got super unlucky on the RNG.
Pills

Postby Tamalak » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:10 am

ErdTod wrote:On the other hand, Mystic has one of the best bonuses from credos. Making it hard to aquire makes it not a "required" credo, because some would not have patience to go through the experience quests. Otherwise just everyone would be mystics.

Wait what.. what is that best bonus, the slightly faster study speed??

In my topic on "how do I" people were pretty down on Mystic.
Tamalak

Postby Pills » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:14 am

Tamalak wrote:

Wait what.. what is that best bonus, the slightly faster study speed??

In my topic on "how do I" people were pretty down on Mystic.

I think the 10% reduced xp cost on magic is what make it valuable as a credo. Especially to big groups when it comes to things like spending 5mil xp on well Q etc.
it can't possibly be the study speed since cave hermit gives you +15% study speed at level 10, and is also way easier to finish as a credo, and honestly the hardest part about cave hermit is that mystic is a requirement. its on the same level as quarryman and miner to complete to be honest, just slightly longer.

And again, its okay to have difficult quests, things like "study dark effigy" for instance require you to spend time looking for a mandrake, this is fine because its an actual difficulty in finding a mandrake. not just waiting for an invisible clock to tick down
Pills

Postby azrid » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Would be nice but I lost all hope of mystic being fixed.
azrid

Postby Fostik » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:10 pm

+1
Credo challenges are too random.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:41 pm

I like the event quests. True, they are hard to pursue teleologically, but you can reroll, and you can accept completing them when you happen to complete them. Also, completing them is not a simple function of time.

Not convinced that "time gates" is a universal concept, that it is universally bad, or really any of those things you said. I mean, crops in Haven are "time gated". Shouldn't they be?

I have completed Mystic.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas