please just fix mystic.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: please just fix mystic.

Postby azrid » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:25 pm

and last world on one of my characters I kept getting the same experience event quest near the end of the credo over and over again which made me never complete it even with rerolling many many times
you have an advantage since you know exactly how experience events get triggered
azrid

Postby Valnar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:05 pm

jorb wrote:I like the event quests. True, they are hard to pursue teleologically, but you can reroll, and you can accept completing them when you happen to complete them. Also, completing them is not a simple function of time.

Not convinced that "time gates" is a universal concept, that it is universally bad, or really any of those things you said. I mean, crops in Haven are "time gated". Shouldn't they be?

I have completed Mystic.

I don't think the issue is with time gates per say, but rather agency.

Granted most of my expirence with credos is last world, but I'm currently feeling the same way with my forager credo this world.

I just don't feel like I really feel like I'm actually progressing in anything related to credos until its done. It doesn't really feel good completing a 'hard' credo quest when I could have just gotten a bunch of easier quests. Or maybe I do reset a hard quest, and get harder quests for the next two resets while I lose a bunch of progress. It is technically a choice done by me, but it doesn't really feel like a choice I make.

I can't really get personally invested in any progress I make, because there isn't really any meaning to it with how RNG the quest giving system feels.
Valnar

Postby loleznub » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm still of the opinion that credo's should be similar to the numen system, where you are given options to complete multiple tasks.
loleznub

Postby jordancoles » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 pm

All credos rely heavily on rng. Some more than others. Mystic is one you can complete in a day or two if lucky, or weeks/months if unlucky.

I got set back to the start of mystic like 3 times this world
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:51 am

Every world I say I'm not going to bother with mystic as that is how much I hate doing it, I never get lucky with the event quests and like Azrid I seem to just keep getting the same event quest over and over and spending weeks trying to trigger it just to get it to go away. I was once stuck on mystic for four months ... FOUR months!!! :evil:

I think there should just be a limit of one event quest per level.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:11 am

jorb wrote:I like the event quests. True, they are hard to pursue teleologically, but you can reroll, and you can accept completing them when you happen to complete them. Also, completing them is not a simple function of time.

Not convinced that "time gates" is a universal concept, that it is universally bad, or really any of those things you said. I mean, crops in Haven are "time gated". Shouldn't they be?

I have completed Mystic.

Time gates make sense in certain aspects, for instance, farming, sure, it makes sense for things to take time to grow etc, but thats why these are all side-jobs to an extent, you plant your stuff, then do everything else and come back when its ready to harvest. You can see exactly what you need to do here, but the very real difference is that you can actually see quite clearly as day and night exactly what it takes to grow a crop, first you need the seed, then you need to plant it, then you know roughly how long it takes to grow to harvest it and the payoff is having the resources you recieved from farming and the increased Q if you increased your stats. This is gated progression, which is acceptable when done right.

Mystic's "experience events" are just solid time gates with zero difficulty around them, for instance "Experience ancient windthrow" requires you to arbitrarily walk to a windthrow every single day until the event triggers and thats it. There is nothing interesting about that, there is nothing difficult about that, its just boring, inconvenient and as you can see others complaining about this every single world, hated by literally everybody. Everybody has the same reaction either "i hate it" or "just abandon it", please listen to this. By the time most people get to doing mystic, if they are going to do it at all, they are already a couple of months into the world, a time where player engagement is the most important thing of keeping them playing for longer and not just getting bored, quests like this can play a huge role in players just giving up on the game. Every world the same complaints are made about these quests by a lot of players.

Its a fake difficulty, you can pick every other credo quest possible and describe exactly what its very real difficulty is, whether its finding a specific foregable, slaughtering a specific animal, visiting a tree on the other side of the world, felling a specific tree, growing a specific crop, mining a specific ore, even quests like "get a pearl". All of these the player knows exactly what they need to do and have a rough idea how long its going to take, they all have very real difficulties to them, solid time gating where you just have to complete the exact same boring task of walking to the exact same natural resource every single day until an event triggers is an artificial difficulty and does nothing but make the player resent the game.

Further reading as a few examples:
tv tropes fake difficulties document how waiting is a bad mechanic.
keep the player engaged, no-one likes waiting around
this reddit post that makes a solid point about 5 entire demographic groups of players you are forcing away from the game with solid time gates
Trial and error level design

Honestly, credos have issues sure where some quests are just impossible at certain times and it would be nice to see those addressed in the future, but "experience event" quests are actually the biggest problem with credos in that everyones response to them, including your own, seems to be "reroll it".
Pills

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:29 am

Sorry for the double post but to further back this up, just look at what people actually think about these quests.

In this thread:

azrid wrote:and last world on one of my characters I kept getting the same experience event quest near the end of the credo over and over again which made me never complete it even with rerolling many many times
you have an advantage since you know exactly how experience events get triggered

jordancoles wrote:All credos rely heavily on rng. Some more than others. Mystic is one you can complete in a day or two if lucky, or weeks/months if unlucky.
I got set back to the start of mystic like 3 times this world

Amanda44 wrote:Every world I say I'm not going to bother with mystic as that is how much I hate doing it, I never get lucky with the event quests and like Azrid I seem to just keep getting the same event quest over and over and spending weeks trying to trigger it just to get it to go away. I was once stuck on mystic for four months ... FOUR months!!! :evil:
I think there should just be a limit of one event quest per level.

and in other threads:
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=859254#p859254
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68368&hilit=mystic
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=857472#p857472
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=60965&p=829640&hilit=mystic#p829640
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=65396&p=828652&hilit=mystic#p828652
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65138&p=825087&hilit=mystic#p825087
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=64792&p=820264&hilit=mystic#p820264
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=62406&p=792006&hilit=mystic#p792006
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=61900&p=785658&hilit=mystic#p785658

There are more posts but that's just a few as an example, I'm not even going to begin scrawling through the various discord channels from across the worlds to found the countless complaints about this there also. Please seriously reconsider this, every world i see people get bored of the game and quit because of quests like these because they come at the absolute worst time you could possibly give players this kind of boring, tedious stuff to do, when people are already on the verge of getting bored.
Pills

Postby Bad_Habit123 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am

What does a word "quest" mean? Do smthng to get your reward? No, do just nothing but wait for like 2 weeks. Wronk basis
"Survival can be summed up in three words - never give up. That's the heart of it really.Just keep trying." -- Bear Grylls
Bad_Habit123

Postby Pills » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Take this for instance, and this is one of the lesser problem events.

Not only do I need to already talk to a tree, i have to deliver an item to another tree, then i need to arbitrarily right click on quest givers for the next few days until one gives me the talking tree event.

Its just stupid, inconventient, frustrating and down right annoying as a mechanic. Honestly experience events actually are the worst thing wrong with credos right now
Pills

Postby DauntlessGolem » Sat May 02, 2020 1:49 pm

+1 Experience "X" event is bad for a quest, as almost ALL OTHER QUESTS are intuitive and something you can actively pursue. When you break down the quests they become:

1. An objective that can be completed in the game, ignoring player stats/wealth
2. Something a player can actively pursue
3. A guarantee if being actively pursued

The common early quest complaint of "Study Glimmermoss" Is a good quest. It does not care who you are, just asks that you obtain glimmermoss and study.
Any craft quests/tree quests are good, you can actively work to obtain what is needed, no matter how bullshit it is

Experience "X" event quests can be completed, and can be pursued, but they are not guaranteed, and that's what makes them a bad quest. As far as I know™, there is still no concrete info on how experience events work, and even if you meet the criteria 50 times over and different time intervals, you may still not get the event. It feels luck based without more in depth explanation on the system of mechanics it's based on. The timegate isn't an issue imo, study events are a thing and there are some really shitty curios to get for that. If we could see what event we are clogged on to refresh our queue it would be so much better. Maybe add a system to where if an event is in our queue for 2 or more days, it gets highlighted to let us know and guide us along the right track of getting unclogged.
Agame wrote:Gorgeous, practical, common-sense idea. They will talk about bots and will not implement it because it is brilliant.

+1, not that it will matter anyway.

jorb wrote:@ OP: Terrible idea. Just run a bot doing that.
DauntlessGolem

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas