Notebooks: Record Ingredient Info Ingame

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Notebooks: Record Ingredient Info Ingame

Postby Apocoreo » Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 am

Came up with this idea while raging about fishing. I think this could improve several jobs and even support an ingame sudo-wiki.

New item: Notebook. Takes leather and string. Bone glue and a metal nugget if you want it to be more expensive

Notes, Combat Instructions, Scholarly Accounts, and Material Accounts can be stored within the notebook. How many? As much as possible without resulting in people filling the things in an attempt to crash the server or some shit, maybe a small chest's worth. No more cupboards full of single pages. Libraries will become single encyclopedias. Fighting Dojos will become a single book of the master's teachings.

Accounts and instructions could be copied with parchment. Combat instructions and Scholarly Accounts could be torn out and consumed on use as per normal. Notebooks could be carried on belts as a quick reference guide. This would also make them and the information within easier to steal from careless hearthlings.

Another new item to compliment the notebook: Ingredient/Crafting Account. I'll be honest, they could use a better name. Right click an item to record info on how you got it. You will be given the option between making a material account or one of these where applicable. For example, doing this to a food item would record its feps and ingredients. Other items might tell you the quality of the ingredients to aid ingame, rp-friendly means of calculating quality.

I envisioned it could be used in fishing to record the equipment on the rod used to catch the fish, the environment, the moon cycle or whatever the fuck else goes into determining your chances to catch a fish. In fact, what inspired this suggestion was when my village's fisherman told me exactly what to use to catch an Eel and I got a fucking 4% chance with a casting rod. I realise that's a whole new step as all that info need to be recorded in the fish itself. However, I think it's clear the developers of the game are interested in items carrying information about their creation due to their experimentation with "Memories of Pain". I also believe that proves it is possible in some capacity.

It's either this, or the fisherman/cook stores their information in some spreadsheet or publically in a wiki for all to see. This change would allow for better organization of current ingame items, and presents and ingame means of storing, sharing, copying, and stealing information. It would also encourage the hoarding and selling of knowledge.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Return to Critique & Ideas