Global Chat/ No realm chat bans

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Global Chat/ No realm chat bans

Postby Hasta » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Couple'o'things for OP: first of all, don't kid yourself, you don't have a thick skin. You may honestly believe so; deriving from your posts' lexicon, your skin may be thick for the cultural discourse you're in but it's not Hafen (or, honestly, "the internet") thick. Try to live with a fact that there are people here who spam your PM with "nigger" and you can do nothing but ignore this sad fact.

Secondly, as you get gradually more frustrated, obnoxious and generalising, the notion that you retroactively probably deserve the ban (and all the consecutive messing with you that followed) grows in my mind.

And, lastly, since you've decided to quit, good riddance. This will probably go down in history as "that time when Snail made a special snowflake ragequit via realm chat".
As for the matter of Critique and ideas from the original post, the only thing left to do is reiterate: realm chats are not "a global chat", therefore they are governed and moderated at will of the owner. Their house, their rules, nothing is supposed to be "fair".

Global chat feature, arguably, may be a good idea (although I personally don't see the necessity), go make a Suggestion thread without all the drama. Oh wait, you've quit.
Hasta

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Lol, well in case you are still reading FW, I actually wasn't victim blaming, you can't control what other ppl say or do in the game and I was actually trying to be helpful and 'kind' to you by suggesting you just ignore it or try speaking to the realm leaders. I admit it's not the kind of 'fix' you were looking for and I'm sorry my post only seemed to add to your frustration. It wasn't intentional.

Also, just for the record, MM didn't say the community was toxic, he says it's a great community once you get past 'the rough parts'. :)
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby stya » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:42 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Since clearly the children don't know how to behave on the forums, they need a time out. (Note: consider this a warning.) If you can't be reasonable and keep the drama in The Moot, then don't post. It's a valid question, and if you can't provide valid answers or feedback, fuck off. Off topic posts are being Hel'd.

@OP: if you can't handle rude people, this probably isn't the community for you. I hate to run people off from the game, as it's a great game, and really is a great community once you get past the rough parts. It takes a thick skin to run with the pack here.

Also, if you have questions about the game, we have a help section here that is moderated.

Would you consider moving it to The Moot instead? I think the OP just missclicked C&I.
stya

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Great thread, good read. Almost had a flutter of legacy moot nostalgia.

Lets be honest guys, this community is absolute dogshit because rather than being moderated in any productive way at any time in its history, drama and banter has practically been encouraged. For everybody willing to lend a helping hand there are 5 people willing to spend 36 hours sieging your noob palisade just to toss everything on the ground and pave a swastika where your house once was.

It's a shame that most of the drama caused by you bunch of absolute animals is washed away just as fast as it is autistically spittled on to discord.

I miss when bullying and drama was a near permanent spectacle that I could take my time and really read and enjoy on the forums.
Zentetsuken

Postby Darruin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:52 am

If they made a global chat who's going to moderate it?
Darruin

Postby Amanda44 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:53 am

Me ... :D
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Undefined » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:30 pm

FreedmanWayne wrote:SO...is anyone ever going to postulate on WHY....FUCKING WHY...Not whether or not it exists now, or who moderates what, blah blah blah. WHY don't we have a global chat, and WHY can't we switch the feature from realm mute to personal ignore list? This is a critique and ideas forum, people. SUGGESTIONS! Familiar with the term?

Just move to a different realm if needing a realm chat is something you consider important in the game... It's within your power to change the situation.
Thick skin doesn't imply a willingness to argue when baited on an internet forum, if anything that's the antithesis of what I would consider having thick skin to be.
Undefined

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:22 am

FreedmanWayne wrote:SO...is anyone ever going to postulate on WHY....FUCKING WHY...

This is a critique and ideas forum, people. SUGGESTIONS! Familiar with the term?

You need to Google "mansplaining".

DUH!

FreedmanWayne wrote:I have plenty thick skin.

Yeah no you don't. Almost feel bad for you for the spam thing but... Why not just block? Not victim-blaming you for it but your approach to reporting harassment is also straight up toxic. Also on mansplaining, I would've guessed you were cis male from the "Wayne" in your username :lol:

Global chat would be cool though. Moderate it with a bot that temp-mutes spam, language, whatever.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:49 am

Apocoreo wrote:Moderate it with a bot that temp-mutes spam, language, whatever.

No. That just results in an arms race with people trying to evade any bots. I don't get paid enough to deal with such, and I know jorb doesn't have the time to do so.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jorb » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 pm

I mean... you can just ignore the realm chat, but I guess a way to hard close it could be cool if that's not already in.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas