Legacy haven free?

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Legacy haven free?

Postby yozzik111 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:20 pm

So you like the game yet you're so ungrateful and don't want to pay devs for it? It's not even a subscription with regular payments, come on, commie.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby rhzk » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:07 pm

yozzik111 wrote:So you like the game yet you're so ungrateful and don't want to pay devs for it? It's not even a subscription with regular payments, come on, commie.

bla bla bla bla bla...
rhzk

Postby Mr_Bober » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:05 pm

As much as legacy will always have a special place in my memories, I think they should just close it.

Without a dedicated dev team it would just mean wasting more time and resources on it, pushing back updates for the current build. Or having it like it is now, with no hope for the future since no effort at all is going to be put into it. Either way it's bad.
Mr_Bober

Postby Regnurr » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:14 am

loftar wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:they should have never changed the art style imo

I mean, the intention was to keep the art style as similar as possible. I still think the Christmas preview screenshot is fairly legacy-like, for instance. Of course there are some things that are hard to translate between 2D and 3D for sure (the trees, for instance), but that was always the basic intention.

Being a spriter myself sometimes, I can tell you that 2D often doesn't translate easily or well into 3D, that's just how it is. You don't use the same palettes on spritework as you do in real world and it's why you are told never to take a picture and get your palette off real life colours. 2D Sprites are often more saturated and colourful than real life, in a sense so is haven. Consider the base player's sprite as well, the player is bulky and blocky in new haven, in the sprite iteration they're fairly lanky and subdued in comparison, with relatively undefined faces due to their sprite's size.

Same can be said of the difference in the foliage in both games. The mulberry trees, wheat crops, bee hives, all just look much different in legacy haven as compared to new haven's new bulky shoot system. The best example of new art in this haven is probably the flax crops which make very nice looking purple fields. Though compared to the farmed fields of old haven, they do look beautiful.

Haven's an old enough game that it was in an era where graphics were rapidly evolving and the advent of 3D mmos was just coming out and booming really, World of Warcraft classic was still popular and people still played doom a lot more consistently, the idea was that your game was crappy and was catering to limitations of the engines you were using if it wasn't 3D, but nowadays, 3D engines are pretty abundant and classic spritework is a novelty that people want to see.

It's a bit like when they made the photo and how that affected realism in artwork. Why bother painting for life anymore when a picture was faster, easier, more accurate than the human hand could ever be? Art evolved into things that were not real as a result, more abstracted, and creative. I do like the sprite game design, it's pretty charming.
Regnurr

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:48 am

Regnurr wrote:Haven's an old enough game that it was in an era where graphics were rapidly evolving and the advent of 3D mmos was just coming out and booming really, World of Warcraft classic was still popular and people still played doom a lot more consistently, the idea was that your game was crappy and was catering to limitations of the engines you were using if it wasn't 3D, but nowadays, 3D engines are pretty abundant and classic spritework is a novelty that people want to see.

Bro you know Legacy Haven came out in like 2009/2010 right? WoW launched in 2004 and Runescape 2 came out in 2001. Hell, Mario 64 was 3D and it came out in 96. The tech was definitely there for them to make a 3d game in 2010 :lol: I'm glad they didn't though.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Regnurr » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 pm

It feels a lot older than 2010. I remember some of the original threads on /v/ ages ago. That'd mean I was about 18 When it first came out, which doesn't sound right to me.
Regnurr

Postby jordancoles » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:53 pm

Regnurr wrote:It feels a lot older than 2010. I remember some of the original threads on /v/ ages ago. That'd mean I was about 18 When it first came out, which doesn't sound right to me.

Are you replacing facts with feelings rn? There is a literal archive for when the game was launched with dates and times

World 1 posting started in 2009
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Regnurr » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:16 am

jordancoles wrote:
Regnurr wrote:It feels a lot older than 2010. I remember some of the original threads on /v/ ages ago. That'd mean I was about 18 When it first came out, which doesn't sound right to me.

Are you replacing facts with feelings rn? There is a literal archive for when the game was launched with dates and times

World 1 posting started in 2009

No, I specifically said it felt older. What even is a fact anyway? Maybe I should be more hypervigilant about being technically correct instead of so laid back.
Regnurr

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas