Object controlled objects

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Object controlled objects

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:37 am

First mention by jorb, 2016.
But what are they really?
[requesting for small explanation from devs about what it is and why we need them]
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Re: Object controlled objects

Postby dafels » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:02 am

yeah, I am wondering that too, what it is in the essence. All I hear are some vague explentations like that they want the characters to be able to walk over objects(walking on a knarr, etc..), but what do they mean exactly by their own invented term, I have no idea. Why do we want this and how the game will really benefit from this is pretty unknown too, maybe it just seems "another cool feature to implement duhhhhhhhh I want to be able to stand up on my herbalist table yolo maximize profits"
dafels

Postby iamahh » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:56 pm

maybe objects will be able to tell objects what to do, maybe some communication protocol between a group of objects?

basically would open the game to new mechanics
iamahh

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:44 pm

2016: viewtopic.php?p=620286#p620286

jorb wrote:[*] We have begun discussing the prospect of taking some time to fix "object controlled objects", a server engine upgrade which basically would allow for some objects to depend upon other objects in a more developed fashion. The immediate purpose of this would be to allow for objects which can actually be walked upon, which could potentially allow us to do things like walk-on-walls, rafts that can actually be walked upon and onto, non-pocket world houses, and bridges. It is a significant project, so it might be more than one week in the making. I'm not 100% that we'll go for this next week, but we want to do it at some point in the not too distant future, mostly because it seems like one of the more significant level ups we can give the game, but also because it is foundational enough that plenty of things could potentially come to depend on it, so it'd be nice to have out of the way.

2020: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=69220

jorb wrote:[*] An update to the server-client protocol is the next project in the pipe. It is a relatively limited scope project to allow for better definitions of objects in relation to other objects (E.g. bubbling retort standing on lit tripod burner with variable materials, standing on an Alchemist's table. That kind of stuff). One upside is that it could allow us to add variable materials to tools and equipment. This is necessary for the next project after, namely Object Controlled Objects, which we consider the next major milestone in development.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:01 pm

It is a significant project, so it might be more than one week in the making. - jorb 2016
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:01 pm

jorb wrote:[*]It is a significant project, so it might be more than one week in the making.

when one hears this, one generally does not round up to "4 years later"
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Massa wrote:
jorb wrote:[*]It is a significant project, so it might be more than one week in the making.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:31 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Massa wrote:

i unfortunately do remember world 6
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:42 pm

Massa wrote:

Well, loftar did undertake the rendering engine rewrite, and when I hear "rewriting a rendering engine," I think in terms of years. It's why so few studios create their own engines. Easier to adapt your development methods and tools to Unreal, Source, Unity, Havoc, CryEngine, etc than to build a good engine from scratch. (FWIW, look at the performance and requirements on Path of Exile in comparison to games that have gone with licensed engines.)

I wish I could pull quotes, but jorb has mused on things that could be possible in past posts and video streams.

shubla wrote:[requesting for small explanation from devs about what it is and why we need them]

Colors, of course.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:55 am

Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Return to Critique & Ideas