make targeting client side

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: make targeting client side

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:45 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:It's seems silly to force an extra round trip for somebody to change target, and afaik not something anybody else does. The targeting could be client side, and the request the client sends to the server could just be rejected if it doesn't like what's up.

Seems more a bug/balance with event prioritization on the server. Any reason this is in C&I rather than Bugs?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Any reason this is in C&I rather than Bugs?

Cause the reason for which this method is used is unknown to the rest of us. It's not a bug since it literally needs extra rows of code to be implemented like this, rather than just being client-sided.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:55 pm

Nightdawg wrote:

Cause the reason for which this method is used is unknown to the rest of us. It's not a bug since it literally needs extra rows of code to be implemented like this, rather than just being client-sided.

Flower menus work like this too, I think it's just a general design choice that flowed into thing.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:59 pm

Sevenless wrote:Flower menus work like this too, I think it's just a general design choice that flowed into thing.

They're also so bad, it's double checking for some unknown reason too. I wish we knew the reason :roll:
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:06 pm

Nightdawg wrote:

I'm out of my area of expertise on programming here, but it really looks like an issue with prioritization of events on the server. That would be a bug.

Nightdawg wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Flower menus work like this too, I think it's just a general design choice that flowed into thing.

They're also so bad, it's double checking for some unknown reason too. I wish we knew the reason :roll:

Some data redundancy and verification in MMOs is to be expected, just like in any other client-server relationship. This is to cut down on hacking and crashing the server. Even in peer-to-peer networking relationships, there is going to be some of this just to cut down on attempts at cheating. How much lag it can cause is another thing that is out of my area of knowledge.

FWIW: MMOs use a client server model for communication and data visibility for a reason. Most of that is centered around server stability and data integrity. Other reasons include preventing hacks and other forms of cheating. It's a pretty extensive subject on when to use client-server or P2P and how to manage data and input on either.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Bump. Retarded that it can unironically take in excess of a second to switch target, and seems(?) kind of trivial to fix
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:16 am

mans got a point, y do the far bois have to be punished :( :(
ChildhoodObesity

Postby jordancoles » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:mans got a point, y do the far bois have to be punished :( :(

[Cries in west coast]
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Schattengaenger » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:29 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Naimad wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:would be COOL if the time it takes to switch targets and perform an action was equal to your ping instead of a multiplier of it

it would be nice if your bots had a ping x100

If it was for bots I could literally rent a server in the same data center haven is hosted, maybe even the same rack if I'm lucky. Honestly, now I say that out loud, it might be way better to do that for regular play

Are you sure? I know that Jorb has banned many IPs of hosting services, so you may be out of luck there.
But then again, I never tried to do it myself.
Schattengaenger

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:13 pm

I've never interacted with a commercial datacenter in any way, so I'm talking out of my ass. It intuitively feels like getting something nearby enough for ping to be ~<= the tickrate of the server should be easy, though? I mean, worst case I could just send an old PC to a 4MS friend.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas