The new smelter gives me depression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The new smelter gives me depression

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 am

The requirements are good, the rumor that it can't do iron, intriguing, I'm talking about the bellows.

When smelting, you can right click the bellows expending energy to speed up your smelting, (more details and theory below). Similar to spitroasting, but the problem is you have to click to blow the bellow each time. When people talk about botting, they're talking about shit like this; it's tedious and clicky.

PeanutGallery wrote:Lol who is even gonna bot that

Me. Going to make something quick and dirty, that gets the gob for the bellows, right clicks, and waits a select amount of time to do it again. I'll run the bot on a naked labour alt with a bucket then alt+tab to my main or combat alt and do something actually fun.

I implore you, Jorb and Loftar, spawn in one of these things and some ore. Smelt it yourself. Tell me you wouldn't rather do anything else. Because I would rather be writing the bot to do it for me, with the tv on, then do the same looking occasionally to click.

So there's a lot we don't know. Our first load took about 40 minutes (faster than the other smelter). For all we know pumping constantly might have a negative effect, but we can't know that yet. Say in theory we only need to pump once in that 40 minutes, I am a forgetful ass, I would probably still make a bot blow that shit at the 18 and 38 minute marks just to be safe.

I am intrigued by a lot of the new stuff this world, I think most of it is good. Very interested in the new fast travel and realm mechanics. But this in particular saddens me; there has been NOVELS of discussion about blotting and this game's direction, and this makes me feel the devs don't get it, or want more botting. This is pretty much why we harras J&L for details before releasing stuff. Anyway, I might be overly salty, but I actually ran this through by my villagers and they said post it so... Take my salt, you look full.

Also if these are faster than the other smelter we'll use and bot them for every metal they can smelt.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: The new smelter gives me depression

Postby xdragonlord18 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:47 am

Botting is, like, the whole game which is an attractive quality when your group knows how to program. I say make the game more tedious! Plus the devs want us to bot anyways.
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:58 am

I suspect you might be misunderstanding the bellows. You don't need to be constantly blowing them. Once you do it, the higher speed will maintain itself for a fairly long time, which will be visible by the extra flames spouting from the opening.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby TerraSleet » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:43 am

loftar wrote:I suspect you might be misunderstanding the bellows. You don't need to be constantly blowing them. Once you do it, the higher speed will maintain itself for a fairly long time, which will be visible by the extra flames spouting from the opening.

Perhaps this could be better conveyed to the player. Something along the lines of "You don't need to blow the bellows right now."
TerraSleet

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:01 pm

TerraSleet wrote:Perhaps this could be better conveyed to the player. Something along the lines of "You don't need to blow the bellows right now."

True. The reason I didn't do that was because I wanted it to be possible to "recharge" the bellows without having to wait for it to go back to normal, though.
loftar

Postby Phaen » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:16 pm

How about keep it so people can stoke the fires as often as they want, AND if its already stoked send a message saying "you blow with all your might, but the bellows are already thrusting a full speed" or whatever the right wording is
Phaen

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:28 pm

TerraSleet wrote:Perhaps this could be better conveyed to the player. Something along the lines of "You don't need to blow the bellows right now."

Why do I always feel like posting this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Phaen wrote:How about keep it so people can stoke the fires as often as they want, AND if its already stoked send a message saying "you blow with all your might, but the bellows are already thrusting a full speed" or whatever the right wording is

Well, I've found it a bit difficult to think of wording that is both concise, and also doesn't imply either that the extra blowing had no effect at all (which I think is the problem with your choice of words), or that it might've had some actual positive effect. Arguably, the real problem might just be that the extra spouting flames aren't obvious enough.
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:20 pm

As a mechanic, needing to check back before it's done is... painful.

Could we just do a "charge up enough for 1 batch at the start" instead?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:28 pm

loftar wrote:I suspect you might be misunderstanding the bellows. You don't need to be constantly blowing them. Once you do it, the higher speed will maintain itself for a fairly long time, which will be visible by the extra flames spouting from the opening.

If only there was a way to know beforehand, lol. Yeah I overreacted a little, we smelted more and caught the tell, more notification is not necessary, you would have probably seen less people agreeing with this thread if the new feature was explained in the changelog though.

loftar wrote:Arguably, the real problem might just be that the extra spouting flames aren't obvious enough.

EDIT: reread and caught this, was trying not to give it away now that I had this secret knowledge :lol: We didn't notice the fire thing because we were constantly pumping, unwilling to risk our first load of metal if not doing so was a fail state. That joy of discovery thign I now you and Jorb are chasing Can be frustrating and worrying when you're trying to power your way through the first steps of a new world lol. I imagine a new player world have a wildly different experience with this smelter.

One point does still stand, and that it is another clicky and tedious feature. If there is no random factor to it the timing will be figured our and botted, or just bots bellowing at the minimum required time. For manual players this gameplay is bellowing on an alt and checking occasionally.

I suppose I could have waited and tested more, was feeling passionate last night and wanted to be the first to critique this new feature, with an actual critque rather than "new smelters bad". Still feel the same about the deliberately vague changelog.
Last edited by Apocoreo on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas