The new smelter gives me depression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: The new smelter gives me depression

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:32 pm

You only need to activate them once, and you could just let it burn and forget about it, unless the fuel is somehow a major constraint.

Much like turning the roasting spit, it's mostly fluff.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:45 pm

jorb wrote:You only need to activate them once, and you could just let it burn and forget about it, unless the fuel is somehow a major constraint.

Roasting spit turning is no fluff, but a reason to spawn 10 alts.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:47 pm

jorb wrote:You only need to activate them once, and you could just let it burn and forget about it, unless the fuel is somehow a major constraint.

Turning the spit is huge though, most villages early world are just lines of campfires with alts turning spits of fish.
DDDsDD999

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 pm

lol. Ok, may look at both.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Flameturtle » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:53 pm

jorb wrote:lol. Ok, may look at both.

Maybe instead of making the flame bigger if you like it where its at and dont wanna cover the little output bit then make it very obviously spew a lot more smoke?
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby Zampfeo » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:Botting is, like, the whole game which is an attractive quality when your group knows how to program. I say make the game more tedious! Plus the devs want us to bot anyways.

I understand the sentiment, but that's not the intention of the game. Have you heard of Screeps? It's an MMO specifically designed for programmers. The gameplay is writing scripts for your workers.
Zampfeo

Postby xdragonlord18 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm

Zampfeo wrote:but that's not the intention of the game.

You must be confused. Of course it's the intention of the game. Why else would they encourage botting so much?
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:Of course it's the intention of the game. Why else would they encourage botting so much?

Never once have I encouraged botting. If anything, every time I've talked about it in any valuing terms, I've discouraged it, and mentioned that I've sometimes taken to arbitrarily killing bots in-game as a bit of a hobby. The fact that we (to some extent) tolerate botting for a host of reasons that have been argued more or less to death is very different from encouraging it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Can confirm that roasting spit alts are a thing early world. Since people are already using alts/bots, the groundwork for pumping out more already exist. Duplicate accounts, clients with the ability to run multiple sessions in a single window, etc.

If the furnace is one pump per light, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just needs to be a bit more obvious and it should be fine.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby xdragonlord18 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:09 pm

loftar wrote:Never once have I encouraged botting. If anything, every time I've talked about it in any valuing terms, I've discouraged it, and mentioned that I've sometimes taken to arbitrarily killing bots in-game as a bit of a hobby. The fact that we (to some extent) tolerate botting for a host of reasons that have been argued more or less to death is very different from encouraging it.

What's that? It sounds like you're trying to say something really good but I can't hear you over the absolutely deafening sound of your actions screaming through a megaphone directly into my ears about how much you guys like bots. Design mechanics that respect people's time and people will be less likely to bot them.
Ysh wrote:You all forget that bucket is include. I think with bucket it is fair price.
xdragonlord18

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas