The new smelter gives me depression

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: The new smelter gives me depression

Postby Vesena » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:35 pm

While we're discussing the smelter, you might want to fix this.
Attachments
chimneysmelter or stack furnace.png
chimneysmelter or stack furnace.png (78.01 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Vesena

Postby loftar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:41 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:What's that? It sounds like you're trying to say something really good but I can't hear you over the absolutely deafening sound of your actions screaming through a megaphone directly into my ears about how much you guys like bots. Design mechanics that respect people's time and people will be less likely to bot them.

If all you wish to accomplish is shitposting, then I have nothing further to add. Botting confirmed for not encouraged.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:43 pm

I like the new smelter... I love the look of the bellows and the fact that it can be interacted with.

But even I have to acknowledge that it's the kind of thing, like spit-roasting, that's going to encourage alt abuse/botting.

It *is* neat in concept though.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:48 pm

xdragonlord18 wrote:What's that? It sounds like you're trying to say something really good but I can't hear you over the absolutely deafening sound of your actions screaming through a megaphone directly into my ears about how much you guys like bots. Design mechanics that respect people's time and people will be less likely to bot them.

Talking about with specificity about specific mechanics is a lot more likely to engender change than talking about us in banal generality. Feel free to suggest improvements.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jorb » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:55 pm

True fact: The pumping-the-bellows mechanic and the turning-the-spitroast mechanic (all innuendo intended) only exist because I want to be able to see the character perform the interaction animation. Any mechanic which accomplishes that is fine, but I would like that to be possible, because it is IMMERSIVE and cute.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 pm

As this is the only thread talking about the Stack Furnace: What happens if you put Chalcopyrite in it? Does it give only the copper with the iron becoming slag? Does it just not smelt?
VDZ

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:00 pm

jorb wrote:True fact: The pumping-the-bellows mechanic and the turning-the-spitroast mechanic (all innuendo intended) only exist because I want to be able to see the character perform the interaction animation. Any mechanic which accomplishes that is fine, but I would like that to be possible, because it is IMMERSIVE and cute.

Something I can completely get behind, to be honest, and something I appreciate in your design.

VDZ wrote:As this is the only thread talking about the Stack Furnace: What happens if you put Chalcopyrite in it? Does it give only the copper with the iron becoming slag? Does it just not smelt?

It will produce copper.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Flameturtle » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
It will produce copper.

+1 We've used it for several copper already.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby Jackwolf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 am

loftar wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:Perhaps this could be better conveyed to the player. Something along the lines of "You don't need to blow the bellows right now."

True. The reason I didn't do that was because I wanted it to be possible to "recharge" the bellows without having to wait for it to go back to normal, though.

If it's something you'd be willing to make a tad more obvious, you could also show the bellows "meter" in the window when you click the stack furance
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

Postby telas » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 am

Jackwolf wrote:
loftar wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:Perhaps this could be better conveyed to the player. Something along the lines of "You don't need to blow the bellows right now."

True. The reason I didn't do that was because I wanted it to be possible to "recharge" the bellows without having to wait for it to go back to normal, though.

If it's something you'd be willing to make a tad more obvious, you could also show the bellows "meter" in the window when you click the stack furance

this, a bar for the bellows like the temperature of the fireplace would be useful.
telas

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas