This game is not fun any more

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

This game is not fun any more

Postby Kaios » Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 am

Beyond the initial early world charm, there is nothing I feel has been interesting or fun enough to keep my attention for long.

Can’t compete in the quality grind, can’t participate in combat, the only groups creating realms are filled with assholes, there are a slew of new mechanics that only make things more difficult for casual players (including seasons), still no object controlled objects, still no good updates with the excuse being the focus on object controlled objects, trade and tokens are awful and the devs don’t care about trying to resolve this, can’t tell the difference between ocean deep and deeper, the lack of rage/murder on a character does not prevent them from being murdered, hunting is still exploity and terrible, there is nothing enjoyable about managing wounds, no matter what I’m doing I always feel like it’s grindier than it ever used to be.

It’s no longer possible to tell what direction this game is going in, seems like it is all over the place.
Kaios

Re: This game is not fun any more

Postby Archiplex » Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am

What did you enjoy about your previous runs through the game? What sort of things keep you playing the game?

I agree with most of your points; the only way to really enjoy this game personally is by playing as a small hermit and playing with other friends- which sucks. I want to be able to compete and fight with others, but I can't; not even in a skill-based way, there's just zero way I can ever compete with a geared fighter in terms of equipment. Instead, I just play with my friends and make sure to play during off-peak hours for the big bags near me, because any one run-in with them will spell doom; already heard plenty of stories of our neighbors getting killed instantly as-is, and that seems to be the only enjoyment those players get from the game (i.e snails 'foraging' trips).

I like some larpy stuff, I like being able to progress forward and to an extent, watching number go up is pretty neat. But there's so much of this game I basically am not allowed to participate in for fear of putting a target on me (one scent means i'll likely have an alt/bot sitting around near me that'll alert some autist's discord that they just detected someone- i mean, people already do it for anglers, doing it for players isn't much of a step above that.), and i can't even think about trying to defend myself from people attacking me because they're going to have gear triple my quality or more- not to even mention stats.

Sucks to an extent; best way to enjoy this game is to think of it like minecraft except you need to keep your head low or get hunted down. Even making a realm is a bad idea because you might get someone, idunno, baiting you into a 'friendly' conversation only to yeet you and kill you.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Kaios » Sun May 02, 2021 10:00 am

Archiplex wrote:What did you enjoy about your previous runs through the game? What sort of things keep you playing the game?

The opportunity to help other players has been a big factor in my enjoyment. I have always very much enjoyed creating public areas or useful locations (such as safe palis) for others, however I feel like that effort mostly goes to waste when the only people left playing a world after some time are the players that don't need such help or are the type I'd prefer not to help at all.

Creating a realm in world 9 was very fun and it was great being able to actually get it up to a level that was comparable to the other realms in terms of buffs. At the end of that world (or maybe it was world 10) I beat Frosty in a fight despite him having more stats than me, so in that regard I can say that at least I felt like I had a chance at being able to compete with others. As world's have progressed however this has become a more difficult and daunting task, players learn all the ways they can take advantage of the various mechanics, their botting capabilities improve, and worst of all the devs are suddenly okay with blatant bug abuse. I guess, in prior worlds there was at least a chance of being competitive but this has only become more difficult to the point of impossibility over time.

They continue to try and add mechanics to fix those issues instead of dealing with the offending players directly and the game has become worse as a result of that. I get the perspective that it's not the player's fault bugs exist, or that poor mechanics can be taken advantage of, but this stance that they shouldn't be punished or banned for such behaviour has truly not done this game any favours.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 am

good luck escaping ur mentality
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 am

Snail, running around on your own or building personal "travel networks" does not mean you're doing everything yourself. Without your group to provide you with resources and quality, you wouldn't be able to do half the things you think you are capable of.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 02, 2021 10:57 am

"I am not simultaneously the best at everything on my own, therefore I do not matter" -Kaiso, probably
"One minor thing didn't seem to go perfectly my way, therefore I was never going to succeed" -Also, Kaiso

I meant that sincerely, btw. Good luck.
I wish there were more people in have, and I guess more people in general that had the will to do something other than dwell on minor setbacks. Makes things more interesting
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kaios » Sun May 02, 2021 11:04 am

I have no clue what you are talking about. My complaints are related to the majority of current mechanics, such as how my chickens are losing quality because the feed and water is less than what they are. None of that first post is related to any particular set back, rather a statement that it's obvious the main issues haven't improved and in some cases have gotten much worse.
Kaios

Postby jordancoles » Sun May 02, 2021 11:14 am

My biggest issue with Hafen is that the devs constantly feel the need to reinvent the wheel on literally every mechanic that they add into the game

If there is a straight forward industry standard that works, they try to get the same result with the addition of 7 or 8 extra steps that just make the whole process drag on and kick you in the dick

Normal games:

Haven
Last edited by jordancoles on Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun May 02, 2021 11:34 am

When your critique becomes "I no longer enjoy anything about the game" It might be time to self-reflect on that and realize that maybe your tastes are just changing too?
Maybe this game is no longer for you, maybe it's totally okay if you don't like the game?

I think a lot of people will agree that certain mechanics are not their favourite and some decisions both recent and old are not what they expected or wanted, but ultimately the majority of them continue to play and change their playstyle based on the evolution of the game.

Many games shed players as they develop and add/remove/change things that people don't like and I think this is a pretty normal, organic process. As long as you don't expect/demand the developers to rethink everything they have done to suit your personal needs I think this is a healthy and normal experience and I am sure you will find other games to suit your needs.
Zentetsuken

Postby MightySheep » Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 am

Kaios wrote:Beyond the initial early world charm, there is nothing I feel has been interesting or fun enough to keep my attention for long.

Can’t compete in the quality grind, can’t participate in combat, the only groups creating realms are filled with assholes, there are a slew of new mechanics that only make things more difficult for casual players (including seasons), still no object controlled objects, still no good updates with the excuse being the focus on object controlled objects, trade and tokens are awful and the devs don’t care about trying to resolve this, can’t tell the difference between ocean deep and deeper, the lack of rage/murder on a character does not prevent them from being murdered, hunting is still exploity and terrible, there is nothing enjoyable about managing wounds, no matter what I’m doing I always feel like it’s grindier than it ever used to be.

It’s no longer possible to tell what direction this game is going in, seems like it is all over the place.

Early world trade has always been bad, hunting has always been exploity. Getting perma killed is very difficult, it used to be way easier so thats a weird one to complain about. Managing wounds and not getting them in the first place should be a piece of cake for a veteran player. There is literally no reason why you can't participate in combat or do realm stuff. No idea what you mean about oceans, I've never had any issue with that.

That's a really bad list of complaints tbh. You're wrong about just about everything.

Also Id like to add I think if I play in small group of friends this world instead of big village / faction I would probably have basically all the same things I have now and my character basically the same so I just dont agree with the "cant compete" stuff.
MightySheep

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas