This game is not fun any more

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: This game is not fun any more

Postby Den4X » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm

I believe if few problems will be fixed - the game goes to be much more balanced.

1. Disable melee attacks from the boats
a. Fix bug with boat hunting. It prevents killing bears first days of the world. Hunting is super boring while you can kill each animal and not have any chance to be damaged.
b. It prevents to kill noobs by somebody who made snekja first in the region

2. Fix bug with mammoth pali kill and troll kill by the jump in hole, shoot then jump back
3. Ban bots, there is going to be some strange bot game where real people just do code and not playing anymore. Not coders have no any chance to compete with a coder who has tons of stats from the bots production.
Den4X

Postby vatas » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Den4X wrote:Hunting is super boring while you can kill each animal and not have any chance to be damaged

Source: thenoobcomic.com (unfortunately it's on indefinite hiatus mid-arc)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby rhzk » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:19 pm

game is boing, I dunno wahta do with it...
private servers ben
rhzk

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Den4X wrote:I believe if few problems will be fixed - the game goes to be much more balanced.

1. Disable melee attacks from the boats
a. Fix bug with boat hunting. It prevents killing bears first days of the world. Hunting is super boring while you can kill each animal and not have any chance to be damaged.
b. It prevents to kill noobs by somebody who made snekja first in the region

2. Fix bug with mammoth pali kill and troll kill by the jump in hole, shoot then jump back
3. Ban bots, there is going to be some strange bot game where real people just do code and not playing anymore. Not coders have no any chance to compete with a coder who has tons of stats from the bots production.

They need to add an actually hunting system before they even attempt to "fix" cheesing. Though they can't really prevent some level of cheesing unless they go full nuclear like trolls where if they can't path to you for a second, and sometimes randomly, they instantly kill you. And I'm sure jorb wouldn't like how people actually fight trolls even now, anyway.

I think there's a ton of things that could be fixed to make bots not nearly as required as they are now. But can't remove content, and the devs have no idea how the game functions at a remotely competitive level.
DDDsDD999

Postby Kaios » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:42 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:I think there's a ton of things that could be fixed to make bots not nearly as required as they are now. But can't remove content, and the devs have no idea how the game functions at a remotely competitive level.

If they aren't willing to manually intervene against the largest offenders when it comes to botting then they might as well take the game towards an RTS direction and allow for controlling multiple characters/groups/squads/etc. I say that somewhat jokingly but to be honest it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to do something like that, bring back true permadeath, and make characters more expendable than they are now.

I have had way more fun playing Kenshi and both games share many similarities.
Kaios

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm

Kaios wrote:and make characters more expendable than they are now.

characters dying is almost meaningless 99%, plebs just don't think of it reasonably because it upsets them to die.
Basically the only good kill is if you reset their credo, or if they were bothered to get all the thingwalls and now they have to do it again
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby bitza » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 am

i hear you brother.

remember too that you've been playing this game, or at least its existance has been known to you, for over a decade. sometimes we just get bored with things after a while. i really stopped having fun with haven after world 6 or so, but for some reason (i think trying to recapture those old feelings) i kept coming back.

i think for you personally, and many others (including myself), any mechanic changes won't bring back that feeling of being new to the game, finding metal for the first time, taming animals for the first time, killing someone for the first time, and so on.

but i do agree with the concept of your post. i don't play anymore, and haven't tried for over a year, but sometimes i check on the forum from time to time to read the new announcements, and i couldn't tell you what the fuck is going on anymore. it looks like the devs are adding things just to add things, and not making any effort to fix any glaring holes in game mechanics and balance that old timers have been pointing out for years, or in some cases, over a decade now
Karede wrote: It takes a special kind of autism to play this game
bitza

Postby boreial » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:22 am

For me, It really came down to the rinse repeat of the game with new worlds and basically having to build all over again doing the same things if only in slightly different ways and in the fact that the game mechanic get consistently more involved making it more of a chore to do most things to improve in any matter and I have finally decided to stop playing Haven. Perhaps one day I'll return to it. However, as the game and it's mechanics as well as the mindset of the Dev's continue down the same path of making Alt's and Bot's relevant to game play I will be finding other paths to enjoyment.
boreial

Postby Stealthkibbler » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 am

i want to be able to boil snails and i want more snail related food recipes, lake snails are cringe because there is no sense of pride and accomplishment when acquiring them, forest snails atleast try to escape you however futile it may be and everytime i eat a snail i can treat it as another victory; their shells a trophy representing my genocide against those slimy fiends.
Stealthkibbler

Postby dageir » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:19 am

I suggest botting becoming an integral part of the game.
dageir

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas