Remove the speed boost from bunny slippers

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Remove the speed boost from bunny slippers

Postby Foarl » Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Y'know, on the note of clothes and "optimal", more expensive clothes need a bit of a buff. The game has a decent balance on spamming things like linen, no need to touch it imo. But neat/expensive things are never getting used so they need a bit of love.
Foarl

Postby jordancoles » Thu May 06, 2021 7:30 pm

Foarl wrote:Y'know, on the note of clothes and "optimal", more expensive clothes need a bit of a buff. The game has a decent balance on spamming things like linen, no need to touch it imo. But neat/expensive things are never getting used so they need a bit of love.

All silk gear should start with 2 open gilding slots imo
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby vatas » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Making various problematic speed boosts (bunny slipper, forager etc.) inactive when you have any combat relation is the most elegant solution to me.

EDIT: People below have excellent points how changing just that won't work and would make PvP arguably even worse.
Last edited by vatas on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Disabling speed boosts in aggro would be terrible. Having to turn around and aggro people chasing you so they don't get a speed boost would be awful.
DDDsDD999

Postby terechgracz » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Just make that dropped rabbits won't run away for X seconds because they're confused/stunned.
terechgracz

Postby strpk0 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:42 pm

vatas wrote:Making various problematic speed boosts (bunny slipper, forager etc.) inactive when you have any combat relation is the most elegant solution to me.

This just leads to weird exploits and metas of not being in aggro with people when chasing so you can keep the speed boosts. It doesn't work, just makes PvP more obnoxious and obscure to master for no good reason, specially for newer players potentially being attacked and not knowing why (if they knew about the mechanic previously) it suddenly stopped working for them.

Seems odd how many people are suggesting the same in this thread, when with a short thought experiment you can easily realize why it's a bad idea.

The mechanic is fine, what's not good about it is that it's such an obscure thing that nobody would learn on their own unless taught by another player. I've seen a lot of people die because they don't realize wearing their steel/walrus boots actively hurts their chances of escaping. The game should somehow intuitively teach the players that this mechanic exists. Removing it altogether is also an option, though one I'd be against because chasing critters is one of the VERY few things that it takes a certain amount of skill and time to master in PvP.
Last edited by strpk0 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby vatas » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Forager bonus could be replaced with "reduced critter flee radius."

Bunny Slippers equip effect: "reduced rabbit flee radius."

Both effects stack.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:37 pm

I think it's a terrible idea also the thread is old af and just got bumped by some bot earlier today

edit: like mentioned it adds a nice skill component to pvp and especially bunny slippers are something everyone with a new character can get that would not make him auto lose an encounter with someone further ahead in the game.
I wouldn't be against adding more variety of boots with this effect or a gilding that adds effect like this tho xd
Pommfritz

Postby MadNomad » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:43 pm

wearing soft shoes does not increase speed so the boost shouldn't be there
MadNomad

Postby abt79 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:18 pm

Halbertz wrote:If you like the speed bonus so much, you can make both speed increases from chasing animals only work outside of combat. At least it will be better than the way it works now.

then the meta will be to not engage in/try to remove relations, get a massive speed advantage, then (re-)engage in combat once you've caught up or gotten ahead of your adversaries
abt79

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas