Reduce hunger on Roast meat

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Reduce hunger on Roast meat

Postby Archiplex » Tue May 11, 2021 10:28 am

Most roast meat gives around 4% hunger while providing extremely low amounts of feps- and because of the abundant source of early game food now, roasting meat is barely even worth it early game. Even if all roast meat only gave 1% hunger, they wouldn't be good- but they would become decent variety foods. It would also give the Gridiron http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Gridiron somewhat of a use, as you could use it to boost the quality of meat that is hard to get high quality (i.e adder) for decent variety foods.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Re: Reduce hunger on Roast meat

Postby loskierek » Tue May 11, 2021 10:31 am

pretty much cooked meats early on for the LP only.
loskierek

Postby Kaios » Tue May 11, 2021 11:35 am

It would be nice I certainly agree, though I think the reason that they do have a higher hunger percentage than other foods is intentional in order to make them less appealing to spam eat. You can get a decent amount of attributes purely from roasted meats but the high hunger percentage is what mainly deters me from using them for longer than I do. I think it could certainly be lowered a bit but I would guess that their concern is they don't want players ignoring better foods in favour of roasted meats and fish.
Kaios

Postby Zampfeo » Tue May 11, 2021 2:55 pm

1.5 hunger would be good. That puts in the position where it's not quite ideal compared to 1% hunger variety foods, but it's not a complete useless noob trap either.
Zampfeo

Postby Sevenless » Tue May 11, 2021 3:06 pm

1% hunger meat wouldn't break the game, but roast meat would be intentionally consumed outside credos and mistakes. Smoked meat suffers a similar issue, but I don't think we'd see smoked meat eaten even if it's hunger was reduced to 1%. Too much work for what you gain out of it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Kaios » Tue May 11, 2021 3:23 pm

What are some examples of what the good smoked meats or sausages provide in terms of FEP?

Because if their hunger gain is an issue then perhaps they should be improved If they aren't better than something like this,
...Or maybe roast fish of high quality is just too good itself. Idk.
Kaios

Postby Sevenless » Tue May 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Kaios wrote:What are some examples of what the good smoked meats or sausages provide in terms of FEP?

Because if their hunger gain is an issue then perhaps they should be improved If they aren't better than something like this,

After testing 30-ish wood types, best I saw was +50%. But when it's 4fep>6fep at 4% hunger there's no use case for it. And for the recipes that reduce hunger from 4%>1%... it's not worth the effort compared to just finding a berry bush somewhere. Smoked fish filets only made them roughly on par with dried. A couple of the unusual meats had enough base FEPs to be maybe interesting. Cave louse being one I think.

But it all fits under the "I'm already managing 37 recipes and 13 sausage types, this isn't worth my time". Pork for bacon and eggs a different story.

Edit: Oh, sausages go insane. They don't need buffs, and fit nicely in with other power foods the game offers imo. The new "norm" so to speak, nice to be able to eat bear bangers again.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Tue May 11, 2021 5:34 pm

Kaios wrote:Because if their hunger gain is an issue then perhaps they should be improved If they aren't better than something like this,

Many fish are just really good...and even for those fish there are far better options which make them even better. For example, your Roast Eel (of which you get 2 per Eel) gives a base 4 AGI for 3 hunger, plus a 25% bonus for Sizzling. In contrast, you can also spitroast the Eel to get 3 Spitroast Eel, which each give a base 5 AGI plus 2 DEX, at only 1.5% hunger...plus that, too, gets a 25% Sizzling bonus.

Basically the only reasons to ever roast anything are either because a recipe requires it (e.g. Roast Roach Wrap) or because a quest requires you to roast X or eat Roast X.
VDZ

Postby vatas » Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Increase the amount of energy that roasted meats and filets give, that should generally make it at least bit less bad if you have to eat one.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 pm

vatas wrote:Increase the amount of energy that roasted meats and filets give, that should generally make it at least bit less bad if you have to eat one.

When you have so many other foods which give 500%+ Energy for only being 1-2% Hunger, AND also give way better stats, i don't see upping its Energy increase as a way of making it viable either TBH.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas