CON gilds are actively harmful. Poor Borj.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: CON gilds are actively harmful. Poor Borj.

Postby VDZ » Mon May 17, 2021 4:18 am

Flameturtle wrote:Keep the wounds and require them to heal before they will go above 1HHP

Example

Sprucie Has 150HHP with 50 of that from con gilds.

Sprucie takes 120HHP Damage

Sprucie takes off gildings.

Sprucie should now have -20HHP

Sprucie stays at 1HHP until he has healed at least 20 of the wounds and then after that the wound recovery allows him to increase it above 1 again.

If Sprucie puts his gilds back on then it would allow him to have 30HHP.

If Sprucie only puts 10HHP worth of his Con gilds back on, then he would still be at -10HHP and would be required to heal 10 of his wounds before getting above 1 again.

Obviously further damage would mean death.

Sprucie chops some wood, Sprucie spontaneously dies to Scrapes & Cuts.
VDZ

Postby Liss12 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 am

VDZ wrote:
Flameturtle wrote:Keep the wounds and require them to heal before they will go above 1HHP

Example

Sprucie stays at 1HHP until he has healed at least 20 of the wounds and then after that the wound recovery allows him to increase it above 1 again.

If Sprucie only puts 10HHP worth of his Con gilds back on, then he would still be at -10HHP and would be required to heal 10 of his wounds before getting above 1 again.

Why not? Going out chopping wood while he have 1HHP instead of lying in bed waiting for his most minor wounds to heal a bit seems to be his own fault.
Liss12

Postby Flameturtle » Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 pm

VDZ wrote:

Example

I mean, sure, but Sprucie could die to anything with 1HHP, not knowing they can die to almost anything at 1HHP is more of the fault of them not knowing than anything else, it would be the same if they got down to 1HHP without this system.

Also, I was just explaining how they wanted it to work, I havent personally decided what I would like to see for this, but it hasnt affected me since I have never put a CON gild on anything.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 7:30 pm

Flameturtle wrote:I mean, sure, but Sprucie could die to anything with 1HHP, not knowing they can die to almost anything at 1HHP is more of the fault of them not knowing than anything else, it would be the same if they got down to 1HHP without this system.

It is not intuitive that your character can instantly die from
  • Chopping wood
  • Taking honey from a bee skep
  • Taking wax from a bee skep
  • Opening a dovecote
  • Opening a birdhouse
  • Eating peppered food
  • Mining black coal
  • Picking up a Stinging Nettle
  • Smoking pipestuff
  • Having bad luck with wounds growing or escalating into worse wounds
and in most of those cases it would be a ridiculous cause of death. There would also be a sharp increase in deaths from midges, sand fleas and yarrow usage, which would likewise be dumb. You can't even safely treat your wounds without risk of death as you're never 100% sure which treatments cause damage/reduce CON and which don't (and the wiki is never 100% accurate and complete). At 1 HHP you can only stop playing entirely and pray (because chances are wound changes will kill you before you get above 1 HHP).
VDZ

Postby Flameturtle » Tue May 18, 2021 7:36 pm

VDZ wrote:
Flameturtle wrote:I mean, sure, but Sprucie could die to anything with 1HHP, not knowing they can die to almost anything at 1HHP is more of the fault of them not knowing than anything else, it would be the same if they got down to 1HHP without this system.

It is not intuitive that your character can instantly die from
  • Chopping wood
  • Taking honey from a bee skep
  • Taking wax from a bee skep
  • Opening a dovecote
  • Opening a birdhouse
  • Eating peppered food
  • Mining black coal
  • Picking up a Stinging Nettle
  • Smoking pipestuff
  • Having bad luck with wounds growing or escalating into worse wounds
and in most of those cases it would be a ridiculous cause of death. There would also be a sharp increase in deaths from midges, sand fleas and yarrow usage, which would likewise be dumb. You can't even safely treat your wounds without risk of death as you're never 100% sure which treatments cause damage/reduce CON and which don't (and the wiki is never 100% accurate and complete). At 1 HHP you can only stop playing entirely and pray (because chances are wound changes will kill you before you get above 1 HHP).

All of the above is the case whether this system was implemented or not. All this change would do would make it so that if you have 30HHP and take off 50HHP worth of con gilds, you'd stay alive with some 'wound debt' instead, so it would lead to less deaths. You seem to be arguing that this system would make people have 1HHP all the time for no reason which just isnt the case. Nothings stopping those people from putting their gilds back on or making new ones if the old ones were stolen.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby loftar » Tue May 18, 2021 9:17 pm

Massa wrote:If you go into HHP debt through buff/debuff shenanigans you're blessed with 1 HHP and nothing more. The only way to die should be through a 'hit'. Be it a midge, a nettle, a blessing from a crab, starvation tick, a bonking, etc.

I know I also suggested this quite some time ago. I can't recall why we rejected it at the time. Should probably reconsider.

Liss12 wrote:Why not? Going out chopping wood while he have 1HHP instead of lying in bed waiting for his most minor wounds to heal a bit seems to be his own fault.

This, to be honest. Any way you look at it, it's better than already being dead.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Tue May 18, 2021 9:31 pm

The only way to die should be through a 'hit'. Be it a midge, a nettle, a blessing from a crab,

It could be argued that death by midge bite, nettle string or crab biting your finger is quite dumb, maybe there should be 2 types of hits, those which kill you(like bear mauling your neck), and then those that do not kill you(midge bite), even if you have 1 hp left.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Flameturtle wrote:All of the above is the case whether this system was implemented or not. All this change would do would make it so that if you have 30HHP and take off 50HHP worth of con gilds, you'd stay alive with some 'wound debt' instead, so it would lead to less deaths.

It would lead to people being at 1 HHP more often, as situations that would now kill you would then leave you at 1 HHP. And death from PvP, even if actual death takes place during the looting rather than the bonking, feels more reasonable than death because you were chopping wood.

Flameturtle wrote:Nothings stopping those people from putting their gilds back on or making new ones if the old ones were stolen.

Except for crafting-induced wounds. Let me make some Yarn to recraft my gear. Bam, pricked by the spindle, instant death.

loftar wrote:
Liss12 wrote:Why not? Going out chopping wood while he have 1HHP instead of lying in bed waiting for his most minor wounds to heal a bit seems to be his own fault.

This, to be honest. Any way you look at it, it's better than already being dead.

Look, there is something to be said about getting random bullshit wounds for daily activities 'for immersion'. But death from chopping wood or various other daily activities is just bullshit. Such activities should never kill a player, and in the current system, they do not in practice (because it's very rare for someone to be below 10 HHP and not dead). Avoiding any form of risk when at low HHP is reasonable. Avoiding any form of playing is not.
VDZ

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas