CON gilds are actively harmful. Poor Borj.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: CON gilds are actively harmful. Poor Borj.

Postby bmjclark » Sat May 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Making wounds apply as a percentage of your max hp rather than as a flat value and having medicines heal in the same way would be a simple solution. If you have 300 hhp with gildings and you get hit down to 240 hhp (20% of your hhp gone) and then remove your gear, you should just be at 160 hhp (also 20% of your hhp). If medicines healed as a percentage as well it would heal no slower or faster if you remove gear.

That or just remove const from gear and replace it with something else
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby azrid » Sat May 15, 2021 10:44 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:Then at that point they add literally nothing to the game. Like if you are just going to make them behave like normal armor why have them at all when we have armor.

They add survivability like con gilds with the added bonus of not being able to die if you get KO'd.
The_Lich_King wrote:Not to mention it still gets into the issue, where a Cloth Tabbard could provide more protection than hard metal body armor.

Obviously dont make them so strong that they outclass metal armor. Pretty easy to balance that.
azrid

Postby fallout » Sun May 16, 2021 3:20 am

By bringing attention to the issue, you're much more likely to cause Jorb to add more constitution attribute gilds and put it on existing gilds.
fallout

Postby ZantetsukenX » Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 am

Of all the suggestions, I still think "Just make it take you down to 1 HHP and not kill you" has been the best/easiest solution.
ZantetsukenX

Postby VDZ » Sun May 16, 2021 7:28 am

ZantetsukenX wrote:Of all the suggestions, I still think "Just make it take you down to 1 HHP and not kill you" has been the best/easiest solution.

But how? Should taking off CON gear just heal your wounds? Because that certainly doesn't sound right.
VDZ

Postby Flameturtle » Sun May 16, 2021 12:29 pm

VDZ wrote:
ZantetsukenX wrote:Of all the suggestions, I still think "Just make it take you down to 1 HHP and not kill you" has been the best/easiest solution.

But how? Should taking off CON gear just heal your wounds? Because that certainly doesn't sound right.

Keep the wounds and require them to heal before they will go above 1HHP

Example

Sprucie Has 150HHP with 50 of that from con gilds.

Sprucie takes 120HHP Damage

Sprucie takes off gildings.

Sprucie should now have -20HHP

Sprucie stays at 1HHP until he has healed at least 20 of the wounds and then after that the wound recovery allows him to increase it above 1 again.

If Sprucie puts his gilds back on then it would allow him to have 30HHP.

If Sprucie only puts 10HHP worth of his Con gilds back on, then he would still be at -10HHP and would be required to heal 10 of his wounds before getting above 1 again.

Obviously further damage would mean death.

I am unsure if this could be abused in any meaningful way, however.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm

VDZ wrote:

I doesn't heal your wounds, you just don't die unless you get a new tick of HHP damage.

Still doesn't fully solve the issue though imo, because there's lots of edge cases that are abusable. Attackers put leeches on you, and you gotta get them all off before a single one ticks and kills you. Etc.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Liss12 » Sun May 16, 2021 2:44 pm

Sevenless wrote:
VDZ wrote:

I doesn't heal your wounds, you just don't die unless you get a new tick of HHP damage.

Still doesn't fully solve the issue though imo, because there's lots of edge cases that are abusable. Attackers put leeches on you, and you gotta get them all off before a single one ticks and kills you. Etc.

Midges would become exta fun too.
Liss12

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Sevenless wrote:
VDZ wrote:

You know, when I posted that "simple" suggestion earlier, I didn't even think of the wounds you'd have. Derp. Taking that into consideration, is there ANY possible fix on this other than changing the way con gilds function (now temp SHP) or just removing them entirely? Only other thing I can think of is locking CON gear into place until wounds are healed enough, which isn't a solution so much as a 'fuck you' to people that didn't think of the problem beforehand, and a safety net for those that made a conscious decision on using +con gear.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 5:56 pm

MagicManICT wrote:You know, when I posted that "simple" suggestion earlier, I didn't even think of the wounds you'd have. Derp. Taking that into consideration, is there ANY possible fix on this other than changing the way con gilds function (now temp SHP) or just removing them entirely? Only other thing I can think of is locking CON gear into place until wounds are healed enough, which isn't a solution so much as a 'fuck you' to people that didn't think of the problem beforehand, and a safety net for those that made a conscious decision on using +con gear.

That would make con gear unstealable, which would force it as mandatory in pvp. Tossing a +1 con jewel onto a ring to make it unstealable seems silly.

I'm going back to my earlier position, I just don't see how to do this neatly. We can implement messy or extremely obtuse mechanics to make it work but those don't feel like a solution that deserves dev time. The only solutions that seem like useful additions to the game are about removing con gilds and replacing it with some other effect/stat that does what we feel con gilds "should" do.

Bonus healing speed for example, I think people would use that. Current realm mechanics make "real" fights very common compared to past worlds, being able to accelerate wound healing might be appropriate. But the potential implications of that are a bit beyond me, there's a lot to theorycraft before I'd really call that a good idea.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas