Most changes to hunting since w8 have been terrible

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Most changes to hunting since w8 have been terrible

Postby ZantetsukenX » Sun May 16, 2021 6:08 am

So I've read through the entire thread and not one person mentioned the reason survival capping was added in the first place. Jorb hated how some people would just use tons of "fresh" alts to hunt bears/mammoths starting on day 1 of the new world. So his solution was, "Want to use alts to help hunt? Then raise their survival too." Knowing that it would be too much effort for most people to bother with. Essentially if you want him to get rid of that change, you need to come up with an alternate solution to mass alt hunting.
ZantetsukenX

Postby VDZ » Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 am

ZantetsukenX wrote:So I've read through the entire thread and not one person mentioned the reason survival capping was added in the first place. Jorb hated how some people would just use tons of "fresh" alts to hunt bears/mammoths starting on day 1 of the new world. So his solution was, "Want to use alts to help hunt? Then raise their survival too." Knowing that it would be too much effort for most people to bother with. Essentially if you want him to get rid of that change, you need to come up with an alternate solution to mass alt hunting.

Brought up by Archiplex:
Archiplex wrote:i think the surv hardcap can be removed without seriously harming the game; people cheese it either ways, and it removes the fun of being able to hunt with a bunch of allies who dont also have high surv- and now that old cheese methods are gone its not as simple to send an alt out to trap it somewhere while you kill it (new cheese strats are 100% soloable wow!)

People are still hunting bears at the start of the world as far as I know (not sure if day 1, also not sure about mammoths, but probably those too). They just use different methods now, so the actually intended result (stopping early animal cheesing) has not been accomplished. I'm not familiar enough with cheesing myself though; can someone more versed in this confirm this still applies to day 1 and to mammoths?
VDZ

Postby Massa » Sun May 16, 2021 7:57 am

ZantetsukenX wrote:So I've read through the entire thread and not one person mentioned the reason survival capping was added in the first place. Jorb hated how some people would just use tons of "fresh" alts to hunt bears/mammoths starting on day 1 of the new world. So his solution was, "Want to use alts to help hunt? Then raise their survival too." Knowing that it would be too much effort for most people to bother with. Essentially if you want him to get rid of that change, you need to come up with an alternate solution to mass alt hunting.

This literally was a non-issue. This wasn't real. People didn't do this. This was a delusion harbored by spruce caps. A literal strawman. It NEVER happened, much less was it a 'meta' of any sort.

Alt swarming a big mob (that is already cheesable day 1) is a pointless endeavor that will get your main killed if you try to control them all at once, unsuccessfully botted, and an egregious waste of multiple people's time if done manually. You don't need an alternative to mass alt hunting because it's stupid and never existed. If we're absolutely dreadfully afraid of the alt swarm bogeyman, then the mechanic/restriction can/should be lifted a month after a world start. Lifting it would be a significant boon to nabs and not make a difference to established players who can already casually fight everything up to mammies.

Ultimately, it's just an antisocial mechanic that hampers otherwise group activities in an MMO, which is MUCH worse than the inverse if the inverse were even an actual thing. Also, survival+tools already cap the animal well enough. It's just not a good mechanic.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Rebs » Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 am

Massa wrote:

This literally was a non-issue. This wasn't real. People didn't do this. This was a delusion harbored by spruce caps. A literal strawman. It NEVER happened, much less was it a 'meta' of any sort.

Alt swarming a big mob (that is already cheesable day 1) is a pointless endeavor that will get your main killed if you try to control them all at once, unsuccessfully botted, and an egregious waste of multiple people's time if done manually. You don't need an alternative to mass alt hunting because it's stupid and never existed. If we're absolutely dreadfully afraid of the alt swarm bogeyman, then the mechanic/restriction can/should be lifted a month after a world start. Lifting it would be a significant boon to nabs and not make a difference to established players who can already casually fight everything up to mammies.

Ultimately, it's just an antisocial mechanic that hampers otherwise group activities in an MMO, which is MUCH worse than the inverse if the inverse were even an actual thing. Also, survival+tools already cap the animal well enough. It's just not a good mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stg1B96WRd0
Rebs

Postby Massa » Sun May 16, 2021 8:52 am

Rebs wrote:
Massa wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stg1B96WRd0

ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby mulamishne » Sun May 16, 2021 8:55 am

This video isn't at ALL what he's talking about. I could spawn a fresh alt right now and kill a troll if I give a belt full of skins and a b12. This is still doable, this is just playing well.

What Massa is saying is spawning a ton of alts and just running at the mammoth until it is suffocated by the weight of corpses.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Rebs » Sun May 16, 2021 9:48 am

mulamishne wrote:

This video isn't at ALL what he's talking about. I could spawn a fresh alt right now and kill a troll if I give a belt full of skins and a b12. This is still doable, this is just playing well.

What Massa is saying is spawning a ton of alts and just running at the mammoth until it is suffocated by the weight of corpses.

I merely thought the video was good material for this convo, being able to kill top-level animals with new spawns. Old video but thought it was relevant and entertaining.
Rebs

Postby Massa » Sun May 16, 2021 9:52 am

Rebs wrote:
mulamishne wrote:

I merely thought the video was good material for this convo, being able to kill top-level animals with new spawns. Old video but thought it was relevant and entertaining.

It might be entertaining but it's definitely not relevant whatsoever. The mechanics in legacy were wildly different, and even if they weren't, these are not day 1 alts. They all had end game, high quality gear.

I skipped to the middle of the video and saw, with my own eyes, a b12 swinging for 9000 damage. That's not a day 1 alt. At all.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Rebs » Sun May 16, 2021 10:13 am

Massa wrote:
Rebs wrote:
mulamishne wrote:

It might be entertaining but it's definitely not relevant whatsoever. The mechanics in legacy were wildly different, and even if they weren't, these are not day 1 alts. They all had end game, high quality gear.

I skipped to the middle of the video and saw, with my own eyes, a b12 swinging for 9000 damage. That's not a day 1 alt. At all.

I believe the original OP was talking about new village members who liked hunting but can't because of hardcapping and basically never being able to catch up. The video proves that I can spawn into a village and help kill a troll and the hardcapping stops me from having that fun with the village. and needless to say with that gear I could hunt whatever animals id like and feel like I am helping the village out day 1 of a new character, however as OP described, hardcapping is fucking that dynamic.
Rebs

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 3:13 pm

Rebs wrote:I believe the original OP was talking about new village members who liked hunting but can't because of hardcapping and basically never being able to catch up. The video proves that I can spawn into a village and help kill a troll and the hardcapping stops me from having that fun with the village. and needless to say with that gear I could hunt whatever animals id like and feel like I am helping the village out day 1 of a new character, however as OP described, hardcapping is fucking that dynamic.

You can't farm day one either. In a game with stat progression as important as haven's that's just a reality of life. Hunting is not a unique mechanic in this regard.

The inability to trade between developed and undeveloped villages effectively is also an indicator of this. There is nothing you can do with human effort as a new character that generates useful resources. You can basically do botwork or you can wait to mature.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas