Most changes to hunting since w8 have been terrible

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Most changes to hunting since w8 have been terrible

Postby Rebs » Sun May 16, 2021 3:26 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Rebs wrote:I believe the original OP was talking about new village members who liked hunting but can't because of hardcapping and basically never being able to catch up. The video proves that I can spawn into a village and help kill a troll and the hardcapping stops me from having that fun with the village. and needless to say with that gear I could hunt whatever animals id like and feel like I am helping the village out day 1 of a new character, however as OP described, hardcapping is fucking that dynamic.

You can't farm day one either. In a game with stat progression as important as haven's that's just a reality of life. Hunting is not a unique mechanic in this regard.

The inability to trade between developed and undeveloped villages effectively is also an indicator of this. There is nothing you can do with human effort as a new character that generates useful resources. You can basically do botwork or you can wait to mature.

aye, I am in two minds about it really. I agree that stat progression should tie you to better gear ovs. but i also hate the idea of people having to just basically log on to study and do nothing for a few weeks, when i invite friends to play now i normally tell them to build their own hermit until they catch up a bit so they don't feel useless, kinda works but they still can never catch up and not feel like they are softcapping everything.

They changed farming to allow for everyone in the village to harvest without farming stats, so there is at least an argument to be made to change when the animals are hardcapped to allow for something similar.
Rebs

Postby Archiplex » Sun May 16, 2021 3:26 pm

VDZ wrote:
ZantetsukenX wrote:So I've read through the entire thread and not one person mentioned the reason survival capping was added in the first place. Jorb hated how some people would just use tons of "fresh" alts to hunt bears/mammoths starting on day 1 of the new world. So his solution was, "Want to use alts to help hunt? Then raise their survival too." Knowing that it would be too much effort for most people to bother with. Essentially if you want him to get rid of that change, you need to come up with an alternate solution to mass alt hunting.

Brought up by Archiplex:
Archiplex wrote:i think the surv hardcap can be removed without seriously harming the game; people cheese it either ways, and it removes the fun of being able to hunt with a bunch of allies who dont also have high surv- and now that old cheese methods are gone its not as simple to send an alt out to trap it somewhere while you kill it (new cheese strats are 100% soloable wow!)

People are still hunting bears at the start of the world as far as I know (not sure if day 1, also not sure about mammoths, but probably those too). They just use different methods now, so the actually intended result (stopping early animal cheesing) has not been accomplished. I'm not familiar enough with cheesing myself though; can someone more versed in this confirm this still applies to day 1 and to mammoths?

mammoth hunting is just trapping them in a palisade with a gap in it, so doable as soon as you dry a palisade.
the other cheese methods are outranging an animal with a boar spear while in a place they can't move to (i.e, the water). applies to whales too as they can't go on land/coastal waters
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Archiplex wrote:mammoth hunting is just trapping them in a palisade with a gap in it, so doable as soon as you dry a palisade.
the other cheese methods are outranging an animal with a boar spear while in a place they can't move to (i.e, the water). applies to whales too as they can't go on land/coastal waters

Surprises me there's no whale gunk equivalent. But realistically that would just make hunting whales unfeasible for basically the whole world. Their raw stats are insane from what I understand.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby bmjclark » Tue May 18, 2021 5:30 am

Sevenless wrote:
Archiplex wrote:mammoth hunting is just trapping them in a palisade with a gap in it, so doable as soon as you dry a palisade.

Surprises me there's no whale gunk equivalent. But realistically that would just make hunting whales unfeasible for basically the whole world. Their raw stats are insane from what I understand.

It's pretty easy to deal with the ranged attacks anyways so any ranged attack would likely just be cheesed in the same way mammoth ranged attacks are.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby Archiplex » Wed May 19, 2021 4:08 am

Sevenless wrote:

it would just make it a "is my knarr faster than the whale" check (which it already is lmao) on top of making the fight take 20x as long

and what clark said ofc.

you literally can't fix whale cheesing in the current state of the game because only one person on a ship can be in combat right now, you'd need a ton of extra knarrs just to even try to fight "as intended" or... whatever the intent is with these fights? not really sure what it is
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby jordancoles » Wed May 19, 2021 5:14 am

Orcas and whales go like 130+ speed while in combat or while fleeing as well, making it actually impossible to fight them legit with multiple people. You either cheese them or you don't kill them.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas