Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 am

Zepar72 wrote:If that was implemented into the game - all supports decaying with time, people would go ballistic.

It already works like this! Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Zepar72 wrote:Actually that's how ore nodes looked like with the "terrible RIP supports patch" - some parts of the node were left and made natural supports.

No it wasn't, not at all. Nodes looked like someone tried and failed to tunnel through an ore vein and then abandoned it. Eventually you inevitably hit a wall of potential cave-in tiles you can't navigate around. Building supports did not prevent a cave-in as much as guaranteeing them after some time (if not from cave-in prevention then from decay), meaning it was better to not build supports. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

And as pointed out by Massa, there is no way you are a 'village miner', unless your village consists entirely of sprucecaps. If you've done any amount of mining you'd know you get locked out of large chunks of nodes if you don't build supports, and even disregarding convenience it's always more efficient to build supports to mine the rest of the node than it is to minesweeper through them.
VDZ

Postby bmjclark » Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am

Yup. Mine supports slowly breaking honestly brought nothing good to the game
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 6:51 am

bmjclark wrote:Yup. Mine supports slowly breaking honestly brought nothing good to the game

I don't really mind support decay in its current state. I don't see what it adds, but it'll only happen to nodes you aren't actively mining.

I do still dislike cave decay in general due to disallowing cupboards in caves, reducing cave storage convenience and more importantly nerfing cave hermiting into the ground. Living deep inside a cave is simply not feasible anymore; at best you can live close to the entrance but even that provides barely any advantages anymore.
VDZ

Postby Zepar72 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:35 pm

VDZ wrote:
Zepar72 wrote:If that was implemented into the game - all supports decaying with time, people would go ballistic.

It already works like this! Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Then how often do you repair all of your supports in your claimed mines? We don't do it, yet our underground base still haven't caved-in. Guess i'm too greencap to notice that.
Zepar72

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Zepar72 wrote:claimed

Oh, so what you want is for players living in caves to lose everything if they go inactive for a bit? Or is it the access to lower levels that you want to require constant maintenance?
VDZ

Postby Zepar72 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:44 pm

VDZ wrote:

Oh, so what you want is for players living in caves to lose everything if they go inactive for a bit? Or is it the access to lower levels that you want to require constant maintenance?

I don't want anything. Are your reading skills ok? You're going deeper and deeper into pointless conversation, purely on accusing other people.
Zepar72

Postby Massa » Tue May 18, 2021 5:35 pm

VDZ wrote:

why are you arguing with a guy who claims to have been 'the miner' for 2 worlds and who 'doesn't mine with supports'

it's done, it's over, he's making it up.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Zampfeo » Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 pm

VDZ wrote:
bmjclark wrote:Yup. Mine supports slowly breaking honestly brought nothing good to the game

I don't really mind support decay in its current state. I don't see what it adds, but it'll only happen to nodes you aren't actively mining.

I do still dislike cave decay in general due to disallowing cupboards in caves, reducing cave storage convenience and more importantly nerfing cave hermiting into the ground. Living deep inside a cave is simply not feasible anymore; at best you can live close to the entrance but even that provides barely any advantages anymore.

Like with most decay mechanics, I imagine its purpose is to make an inactive area "return to nature", but in the case of mine supports, it just ends up fucking the land even more with cave ins that turn neat tunnel systems into swiss cheese. I personally don't think mine supports should decay over time to the point of destruction and instead decay to 25% at most, but that's a bit off topic.
Zampfeo

Postby Archiplex » Wed May 19, 2021 4:05 am

Zentetsuken wrote:
Zepar72 wrote:My point is - mining is already easy. By agreeing to this small change, players will just ask for another and another change.

this has to be the laziest and least logical inference to back up an opinion I've heard in a long time

players are asking for and getting small tweaks all the time, both in favor of and against tedium

your argument, just like lunarius's is "I just don't like it"

we get it, your opinion has been noted and repeated 10 times, I think you can safely move on

his argument is literally just slippery slope. it's not an argument, it's a fear
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Zentetsuken » Wed May 19, 2021 9:32 am

Archiplex wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:
Zepar72 wrote:My point is - mining is already easy. By agreeing to this small change, players will just ask for another and another change.

this has to be the laziest and least logical inference to back up an opinion I've heard in a long time

players are asking for and getting small tweaks all the time, both in favor of and against tedium

your argument, just like lunarius's is "I just don't like it"

we get it, your opinion has been noted and repeated 10 times, I think you can safely move on

his argument is literally just slippery slope. it's not an argument, it's a fear

I'll be honest, he can retard all over this thread as much as he likes with his bizarre reasonless banter, he's keeping the thread bumped and relevant for so long the devs might actually take it in to consideration. :lol:

I don't think Jorb is going to read the ramblings of somebody like this and think - "oh he's right, we probably WILL ruin mining by doing a bunch of stupid changes after this one" :lol:
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas