Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Zepar72 wrote:When supports were hugely nerfed, everyone cried and it got reworked, as "not everyone wants to play minesweeper".
Now it's pretty much free to mine undefinied ammount of rock, looking how cheap supports are, people cry as "nobody wants to take nuggets / wood (that actually GROWS underground) with them to repair".
Will the next step be "nobody wants to deal with supports, remove cave-ins"?
After that let's go with "Mining isn't fun, make caves just empty places with ore lying around" ?
Then let's remove the whole coal + smelting stuff, cuz it's a bother too . . Why can't we mine metal bars?

The issue for me is more "if I'm spending resources to make a mine support, I don't want to have to pay attention while mining out that support"

The game has been filled with things forcing you to watch your character do that action. Farming you can mostly afk, but with mining you always have to keep an eye out for getting chewed on. Mine support repair is just one more "oops hope you didn't forget to be watching me" that's added on to a bulk task that the devs agreed wasn't fun to pay attention to and let us partially automate it. Probably making this worse is no custom client I'm aware of having a sound alarm for supports dropping below HP thresholds like they do for getting aggroed by beasties or sound alarms for trolls.

Cave sweeper vs supports as a choice still exists. People do a bit of both depending on the situation. But having to pay attention to a support while area mining isn't enjoyable.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby iamahh » Sun May 16, 2021 3:33 pm

it's similar to stockpiles limits, just plan ahead and bring your stuff, I used to have crucibles and nuggets piles on every level, now I just bring my stuff

mining pace was too fast for the devs,afterall it's a bot game that faction players consume way too fast, leaving the world after a few months, only to pest the remaining players with forum posts
iamahh

Postby Massa » Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 pm

Zepar72 wrote:When supports were hugely nerfed, everyone cried and it got reworked, as "not everyone wants to play minesweeper".
Now it's pretty much free to mine undefinied ammount of rock, looking how cheap supports are, people cry as "nobody wants to take nuggets / wood (that actually GROWS underground) with them to repair".
Will the next step be "nobody wants to deal with supports, remove cave-ins"?
After that let's go with "Mining isn't fun, make caves just empty places with ore lying around" ?
Then let's remove the whole coal + smelting stuff, cuz it's a bother too . . Why can't we mine metal bars?

I love non sequiturs and self-admitted strawmen. Thank you for your contribution.

Mine supports did not need to be nerfed. Especially with spiralling gone, they're an exercise in tedium. What EXACTLY is your point and who raised it? There's a point to the OP, it's about mine support repairing and that's it, and nothing at all that you've stated. You're literally just attacking nothing and no one's post.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 8:41 pm

Massa wrote:Mine supports did not need to be nerfed. Especially with spiralling gone, they're an exercise in tedium. What EXACTLY is your point and who raised it? There's a point to the OP, it's about mine support repairing and that's it, and nothing at all that you've stated. You're literally just attacking nothing and no one's post.

What does spiralling have to do with this?

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby wonder-ass » Sun May 16, 2021 8:59 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Massa wrote:Mine supports did not need to be nerfed. Especially with spiralling gone, they're an exercise in tedium. What EXACTLY is your point and who raised it? There's a point to the OP, it's about mine support repairing and that's it, and nothing at all that you've stated. You're literally just attacking nothing and no one's post.

supports were supposed to nerf the miner bots that were going around mining ore to spiral metal, although im sure most of the metal came from trading for the big boi spiralers.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 9:41 pm

wonder-ass wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

supports were supposed to nerf the miner bots that were going around mining ore to spiral metal, although im sure most of the metal came from trading for the big boi spiralers.

I see the logic.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 17, 2021 12:37 am

Except that the bots can build supports and play minesweeper more precisely than human players.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Zepar72 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 am

it's just good old "make stuff easier". Some people would love it, some wouldn't. The question is how easy we want this game to become.
Zepar72

Postby VDZ » Mon May 17, 2021 3:55 am

Zepar72 wrote:it's just good old "make stuff easier". Some people would love it, some wouldn't. The question is how easy we want this game to become.

You mean 'tedious'. It is never an actual question whether you can afford the resources to maintain your Mine Supports - they're cheap enough that the answer is always to just repair the things. The problem is that wooden supports require wood, which contrary to what an earlier post implied do not in fact grow commonly enough or in great enough numbers underground to maintain them, and stone columns require nuggets, which likewise require materials to be carried into the mine from outside (either bricks for the crucible and coal to fuel it, or the nuggets themselves). It's never a challenge in that in certain circumstances it's infeasible or undesirable - it's always feasible and desireable. It's just a hassle.
VDZ

Postby Massa » Mon May 17, 2021 10:27 am

Zepar72 wrote:it's just good old "make stuff easier". Some people would love it, some wouldn't. The question is how easy we want this game to become.

Yeah, repairing supports is a serious, hardcore challenge, for us hardcore gamers. It makes the game hard, and without it, it would be too easy. Mining is too easy without repairing supports, a truly needless change. Mining is too easy with the constant threat of boreworms, slimes, the obnoxious boulders that just don't stop.

The point is that there was never a need for this repairing mechanic, it's not hard, adds nothing to the game, and is just an annoying hassle. Mining has enough impediments, between its constant dangers and hard stat checks.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas