Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Mine Support Repair = Ugh

Postby Zepar72 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am

VDZ wrote:You mean 'tedious'. It is never an actual question whether you can afford the resources to maintain your Mine Supports - they're cheap enough that the answer is always to just repair the things. The problem is that wooden supports require wood, which contrary to what an earlier post implied do not in fact grow commonly enough or in great enough numbers underground to maintain them, and stone columns require nuggets, which likewise require materials to be carried into the mine from outside (either bricks for the crucible and coal to fuel it, or the nuggets themselves). It's never a challenge in that in certain circumstances it's infeasible or undesirable - it's always feasible and desireable. It's just a hassle.

I always found tediousness to be an important limiting factor in this game. It what makes people do stuff in reasonable ammount. One farmer can make 500x500 plot, but it's tedious. Hunter can kill wagons of stuff reasonably fast, but the butchering / drying / sorting is what makes it a chore. My opinion is, that's what supports are for mining. Without them, mining turns into pure afk task, limited by pretty much energy only. With them in game you have to ask yourself "do i rly want to bother?".
Zepar72

Postby Massa » Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 am

Zepar72 wrote:
VDZ wrote:You mean 'tedious'. It is never an actual question whether you can afford the resources to maintain your Mine Supports - they're cheap enough that the answer is always to just repair the things. The problem is that wooden supports require wood, which contrary to what an earlier post implied do not in fact grow commonly enough or in great enough numbers underground to maintain them, and stone columns require nuggets, which likewise require materials to be carried into the mine from outside (either bricks for the crucible and coal to fuel it, or the nuggets themselves). It's never a challenge in that in certain circumstances it's infeasible or undesirable - it's always feasible and desireable. It's just a hassle.

I always found tediousness to be an important limiting factor in this game.

can you have this opinion somewhere else
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Zepar72 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:18 pm

Massa wrote:can you have this opinion somewhere else

You're not putting much into this conversation now, are you? Mby stick to the topic.
Zepar72

Postby Massa » Mon May 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Zepar72 wrote:
Massa wrote:can you have this opinion somewhere else

You're not putting much into this conversation now, are you? Mby stick to the topic.

Of course I'm not, because you barge into a thread with a single focus, attack your own irrelevant strawman, dance on a pile of non sequiturs, then bless us with the opinion that tedium and boring shit nobody likes is, in fact, a thing you like/a good thing.

Go ahead and actually try mining in any reasonable quantity and you will see how much of a needless, boring and pointless feature it is.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby VDZ » Mon May 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Zepar72 wrote:I always found tediousness to be an important limiting factor in this game. It what makes people do stuff in reasonable ammount.

No, it's what makes people bot. People are going to perform an activity as much as is useful to them, and if they can't do it normally they will bot it. Do you also propose we get rid of study desks and remove area planting/harvesting?
VDZ

Postby Zepar72 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:36 pm

VDZ wrote:No, it's what makes people bot. People are going to perform an activity as much as is useful to them, and if they can't do it normally they will bot it. Do you also propose we get rid of study desks and remove area planting/harvesting?

The same way as you propose to remove action time from the game and make every action and craft instantaneous and cupboards / stockpiles capacity inifinite.
Zepar72

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon May 17, 2021 1:48 pm

Zepar I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have done very little mining in your limited haven experience.

Mining tedium is huge and there are so many facets to the shit you must maintain in order to mine in a bot-like way.
Water, energy, moving boulders, fighting enemies that literally spawn out of your mined tiles, dealing with hardness nodes, mining nodes in intelligent, strategic ways, navigating caves in general, moving what you have mined and building/maintaining supports

Now ofcourse all of this can be done by a bot and there are people who definitely do it, but adding or removing any of the aspects from this equation are not going to slow the bot down in any significant way.

Removing mine support repair or even just adding in something that makes it easier, like a support that can be repaired with stones, is actually only aiming to relieve 1 annoying piece of the tedium puzzle from people who specifically do NOT bot

It's a simple quality of life suggestion that in the grand scheme of things doesn't actually change anything major and would probably be barely noticed by the average player, whether they are pro or anti-tedium

tl;dr - there is no reason to shit up this thread with "pro tedium" banter, it is only revealing your lack of experience in this case
Zentetsuken

Postby Massa » Mon May 17, 2021 4:35 pm

Zepar72 wrote:
VDZ wrote:No, it's what makes people bot. People are going to perform an activity as much as is useful to them, and if they can't do it normally they will bot it. Do you also propose we get rid of study desks and remove area planting/harvesting?

The same way as you propose to remove action time from the game and make every action and craft instantaneous and cupboards / stockpiles capacity inifinite.

you did it AGAIN

why are you going wildly off topic and talking about and arguing against stuff no one said?
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Valnar » Mon May 17, 2021 4:57 pm

It seems like the tediousness mostly comes from the risks of the cave in. Maybe if the danger was changed it could be better?

Like a mine support still needs to be repaired, but it never gets destroyed (or at least not before a ton more damage). Instead it eventually goes into a state of disrepair where you can get some rocks falling on your head that do a bit of damage but a lot less then normal cave-ins. A miner's helm would mitigate all of the damage, and can take quite a lot of hits before it gets destroyed.

So you still have the choice to repair mining supports, but you're not really put into a position where you can instantly get fucked if you let your character mine for a while.
Valnar

Postby Zepar72 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:06 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:Zepar I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have done very little mining in your limited haven experience.

Mining tedium is huge and there are so many facets to the shit you must maintain in order to mine in a bot-like way.
Water, energy, moving boulders, fighting enemies that literally spawn out of your mined tiles, dealing with hardness nodes, mining nodes in intelligent, strategic ways, navigating caves in general, moving what you have mined and building/maintaining supports

Now ofcourse all of this can be done by a bot and there are people who definitely do it, but adding or removing any of the aspects from this equation are not going to slow the bot down in any significant way.

Removing mine support repair or even just adding in something that makes it easier, like a support that can be repaired with stones, is actually only aiming to relieve 1 annoying piece of the tedium puzzle from people who specifically do NOT bot

It's a simple quality of life suggestion that in the grand scheme of things doesn't actually change anything major and would probably be barely noticed by the average player, whether they are pro or anti-tedium

tl;dr - there is no reason to shit up this thread with "pro tedium" banter, it is only revealing your lack of experience in this case

Actually last 2 worlds i've been the village miner, so yea, not a smart thing to guess stuff just to make your arguments better. Most of the time i mine it is without supports tho, and when i mine with them, then (surprise) i actually watch from time to time to check if they're going to crash. I am not saying having to repair stuff is fun, all i am saying is that supports were hugely buffed since last "experiment" with them and we should be actually grateful that we can use them to mine bot-like, instead of asking "MORE! MORE!". My point is - mining is already easy. By agreeing to this small change, players will just ask for another and another change. I'd rly like to see old, nerfed supports back, which would actually force players to plan ahead when mining, instead of just spamming supports and afk-mining.
Kinda suprised on the ammount of sheer hate for just speaking my mind tho.
Zepar72

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas