"Permanent" Accessories

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

"Permanent" Accessories

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat May 15, 2021 11:58 pm

I think the idea of tattoos and body modifications is extremely old and especially common in nomadic tribal type cultures.

We have bones, needles, fine metal working, jewelry, brands, pigments and a pretty elaborate understanding of medicine as hearthlings...

So why not allow body basic body modifications in the game?

My idea is that it could be some kind of permanent or semi-permanent way to really set ourselves apart in a bit of a more real way than the simple character creation pool in the starting area. It could be a whole additional skill that requires understanding of medicine for sterility, painting for art, and relevant skills like psyche, lore, and so on

The idea would be that we could get 1 tattoo (or brand?) and 1 peircing, and that it would be like a permanent equipment that goes in the invisible aesthetic slots and actually provides us with some kind of bonus. Perhaps the location and pigments used for the tattoo would determine the stat bonus we get, and for peircing it would be the location and materials used. It would ofcourse inflict major wounds that would heal slowly over time or maybe need many applications of something like an ant paste to heal properly, but in the end it could be a way to uniquely customize your character visually as well as in a sort of "stat specialization" sort of way.

Just imagine the interesting possibilities, like having some tribal nose-bone piercing or tribal face tattoo that gives flat (or even small %??) stat or ability bonuses.

I imagine it being a earlymid-game sort of thing, having to build or craft specific tools for it and have specific stats for it to maximize the bonuses it gives and minimize the wounds it gives, both from the giver and the receiver (which could probably both be the same person too).

Many possibilities of how it could be worked out, from us actually knowing exactly what pigments and locations give what, to being something that we would have to experiment with over time and slowly learn as a community.

Over all, it sounds pretty FUN
Zentetsuken

Re: "Permanent" Accessories

Postby DatSheep » Sun May 16, 2021 12:09 am

Man idc if any of those don't even give stats, I'd like to modify my hearthling's body. Having the ability to change your hairstyle is a good step in that direction. Let's take it further pls
Something died in my basement and gave me rubella
DatSheep

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 12:14 am

If there's no stats attached, what's the point of cosmetics most players will never see due to the zoom the game kinda requires due to aggro range?
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun May 16, 2021 12:22 am

Sevenless wrote:If there's no stats attached, what's the point of cosmetics most players will never see due to the zoom the game kinda requires due to aggro range?

I think stats should definitely be involved, but honestly, even if it was a total blind grab bag of stats with an excel sheet as big as alchemy and in the end you ended up with a green dick tattoo on your forehead that gave +5 stealth and +2 carpentry along with a -40hhp wound that gave -20 charisma and took 2 irl weeks to heal ...

I think MOST players would be so entertained by how ridiculous it is that they would definitely continue to tattoo every character they have for the odd chance of discovering some kind of badass pigment/location combo that gives a badass stat boost

if not, just to make their alts look hilarious for screenshots
Zentetsuken

Postby MightySheep » Sun May 16, 2021 2:06 am

-1 totally pointless to add shit that u can cant even see

Look at my sick ear and nose piercings and forehead tattoo guys!!

Even if you could see it, its a shit idea. Can think of a lot of ways Id rather be able to customize the look of my character than some gay body modification shit
MightySheep

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun May 16, 2021 9:09 am

MightySheep wrote:-1 totally pointless to add shit that u can cant even see

Look at my sick ear and nose piercings and forehead tattoo guys!!

Even if you could see it, its a shit idea. Can think of a lot of ways Id rather be able to customize the look of my character than some gay body modification shit

Okay, sure, you wont be able to see it when you are fully decked out in gear, but you can't see your rings and necklace either???? Are they stupid pointless shit content?
It's still free stats and an interesting concept that can be implemented in to the game that is actually relevant to the theme and technology.

Also, even a mr grump like you would take your mask off before screenshots every time if you had a funny face tattoo and thoroughly enjoy it and you cannot convince me otherwise!!!!
Zentetsuken

Postby vnsmirnov » Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm

We want green, red and black skin tones!
vnsmirnov

Return to Critique & Ideas