Yet another thread about re-adding Kaka's amazing music

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Yet another thread about re-adding Kaka's amazing music

Postby linkfanpc » Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm

We still want it.

We still need it.

The was just listening to the Cave track from legacy and realized it would be just a beyond perfect fit for dungeons, and you know how much we all miss the delightful house music.

I almost wonder if you could still get Kaka to do some newer renditions, CMB (or combat i assume it originally was meant to be) would sound great in a more modern form and maybe you could actually add it to combat, maybe just PvP.

The Fishing and trail following ones were so nice too. CHR (title screen) brings back SO many memories, i think i want that one back most to be perfectly honest.

Plz jorbtar. :cry:
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Re: Yet another thread about re-adding Kaka's amazing music

Postby VDZ » Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 am

linkfanpc wrote:We I still want it.

We I still need it.

The was just listening to the Cave track from legacy and realized it would be just a beyond perfect fit for dungeons, and you know how much we all I miss the delightful house music.

Fixed that for you.

No offense to the artist, but I hated the music in Legacy, and the house music was the worst offender. I think it was more an issue of usage than the music itself (e.g. complete quiet interrupted for a couple seconds as you enter a house, then complete silence again), but I always played with the music turned off (which I very rarely do in video games). Hafen's music is tons better and even after these countless hours I still haven't turned it off even once.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon May 17, 2021 4:13 am

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ogey » Mon May 17, 2021 4:28 am

linkfanpc wrote:the delightful house music

Anything but that.
ogey

Postby loftar » Mon May 17, 2021 3:03 pm

VDZ wrote:I think it was more an issue of usage than the music itself (e.g. complete quiet interrupted for a couple seconds as you enter a house, then complete silence again), but I always played with the music turned off (which I very rarely do in video games). Hafen's music is tons better and even after these countless hours I still haven't turned it off even once.

I certainly agree. I was always looking for ways in Legacy to incorporate Kaka's music, since I did indeed like it a lot, but the ways I found left a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, we've incorporated some of it in the current ambient music, and I think there's a case to be made that if we want more of it, adding more of it that way is probably the better way to go. The fact that it's MIDI music makes it stand out a bit against the other tunes though, so it's a wee bit iffy. Also there's a case to be made to make a larger project of it. I've long wanted to have a much larger selection of unique sounds and tunes that could be selected for each terrain so that they could all have more individual "soundscapes". Currently, the Heath terrain is the only one with a fairly unique soundscape, and while I don't necessarily think each terrain should be totally unique (I think it's nice to have some harmony between the forest terrains and the grassland terrains, for instance), a lot more of that would be really nice. It would be a bit of a project, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby WowGain » Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm

loftar wrote:snip

pull a monkey island and have a base theme that gets modulated based on location (general outdoors soundtracks, modified by the sort of terrain you're in)
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Fishing is simply not the same
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby ogey » Mon May 17, 2021 3:36 pm

While on the topic of music, does anyone know what triggers that short bit of the symbel music? I'm guessing it's proximity to plowed land but I'm not sure, just that it happens every now and then in my homestead.
ogey

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon May 17, 2021 3:46 pm

loftar wrote:I certainly agree. I was always looking for ways in Legacy to incorporate Kaka's music, since I did indeed like it a lot, but the ways I found left a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, we've incorporated some of it in the current ambient music, and I think there's a case to be made that if we want more of it, adding more of it that way is probably the better way to go. The fact that it's MIDI music makes it stand out a bit against the other tunes though, so it's a wee bit iffy. Also there's a case to be made to make a larger project of it. I've long wanted to have a much larger selection of unique sounds and tunes that could be selected for each terrain so that they could all have more individual "soundscapes". Currently, the Heath terrain is the only one with a fairly unique soundscape, and while I don't necessarily think each terrain should be totally unique (I think it's nice to have some harmony between the forest terrains and the grassland terrains, for instance), a lot more of that would be really nice. It would be a bit of a project, though.

The random ambient sounds and musics are something I absolutely adore and I think even if some of this music was implemented in random soundscapes it would be amazing.

I would love to have more ambient sounds as well. Where I live near a river the default ambient noise at all times is a perpetual melody of tree frogs and birds chirping day and night endlessly. Bats, owls, crickets, cicadas, animal howls, we need more of ALL of this, and if it was mixed in with amazing music like kakas I would seriously never watch or listen to anything else while playing.
Zentetsuken

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon May 17, 2021 3:47 pm

Everything else aside doesn't the sound need to actually work right before we talk about adding fifty billion sounds
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas