Nude Swimming

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Nude Swimming

Postby sMartins » Tue May 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Swimming is very dangerous in this game and I always found it a bit weird, probably related to mobs idk...

Well, why don't allow naked chars to swim easily with a minor cost of stamina? While keeping the system as it is for dressed chars.
Would be a good way for escaping bad situations for new players and the chance to escape fights later on at the cost of dropping all your clothes .... yeah the problem would be what to consider bad for swimming, only clothes, or also weapons, rings, etc... maybe you have an idea about.

Also add a new wound, such as Hypothermia, for swimming in winter.

EDIT:
Yeah it would require an empty inventory also, with the consequence that a couple of berry would make you drown .... probably, too convoluted for such small benefits.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Re: Nude Swimming

Postby VDZ » Tue May 18, 2021 5:33 pm

sMartins wrote:Yeah it would require an empty inventory also

Which would make it an unintuitive, obscure and most importantly useless mechanic. How often do you walk around with an empty inventory outside of your base? And if you need to escape a fight like you mentioned, are you really going to have the time to drop every single item in your inventory plus whatever you have equipped?

sMartins wrote:Also add a new wound, such as Hypothermia, for swimming in winter.

Why? The rest of your post is about encouraging swimming. Now you want to punish the very act of swimming with a wound?
VDZ

Postby sMartins » Tue May 18, 2021 6:49 pm

VDZ wrote:Which would make it an unintuitive, obscure and most importantly useless mechanic. How often do you walk around with an empty inventory outside of your base? And if you need to escape a fight like you mentioned, are you really going to have the time to drop every single item in your inventory plus whatever you have equipped?

Yeah doesn't work that way, I'm aware, now I understand better why it always worked like that , tho be able to swim around naked would be nice to me, and simulating the wet status for your clothes that slow you down and all that jazz, but not sure how it could be done.

VDZ wrote:Why? The rest of your post is about encouraging swimming. Now you want to punish the very act of swimming with a wound?

Same thing, also I'd like some kind of temperature control in the same fashion of the wet status and that could be a beginning.
sMartins

Postby Pills » Wed May 19, 2021 4:37 pm

sMartins wrote:Same thing, also I'd like some kind of temperature control in the same fashion of the wet status and that could be a beginning.

What planet are you on mate to think that would be a good idea and actually add anything to a game that's already packed with things that exist just to punch you in the dick for no reason at all?
Pills

Postby sMartins » Wed May 19, 2021 6:18 pm

Pills wrote:What planet are you on mate to think that would be a good idea and actually add anything to a game that's already packed with things that exist just to punch you in the dick for no reason at all?

Oh, come on .... this game should be way more harsh with the enviroment and the wild life, fear keeps you alive and ... playing the game.
Otherwise I'll answer you like Jorb would do: I like the survival aspect when playing solo.

Hypothermia wound for swimming in winter is a good idea, good content.
sMartins

Postby shubla » Wed May 19, 2021 7:02 pm

Swimming without clothes on and skin-pockets (inventory) empty should definitely consume less stamina,
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm

Everyone with any survival knowledge knows that a good pair of pants makes a perfectly fine emergency life preserver. If anything, swimming with empty pockets should be thing that preserves stamina, and wearing pants should be a bonus to that... at the cost of slowing you down. (Not sure nettle clothes should count, though.)

Of course, heavy armor will just give you the ability to walk across the bottom of the river or lake (at the cost of instant asphyxiation damage?)

I kid here, but it is odd that we have such a thing as part of quests, but there doesn't seem to be any bonus for it other than the freedom of swimming naked. Maybe jorb or loftar (or both) are confirmed nudists and just wanted to put that in the game?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas