Signs on cupboards

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Signs on cupboards

Postby Procne » Thu May 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Make it possible to put signs / images on cupboards' top. Similar to display signs.

Either right clicking with an item, or with a display sign, on a cupboard should put corresponding image on top of that cupboard.
Procne

Re: Signs on cupboards

Postby shubla » Thu May 20, 2021 5:16 pm

I think its nice to have some mental gymnastics to remember contents of the villages all 500 cupboards.
But adding signs for weaker beings is probably a good idea!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Porteirofag » Thu May 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Would be really nice indeed.
Porteirofag

Postby VDZ » Thu May 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Study Desks and Barter Stand slots passively display the items most recently placed on/in them, and barrels automatically get a label fitting their contents. I think UI-wise the simplest solution would be if cupboards would just always passively display a sign based on the most recent/least recent/first/last item in the cupboard. (If it's bound to a slot, the sign could be removed by leaving that slot empty.)
VDZ

Postby Procne » Thu May 20, 2021 7:55 pm

VDZ wrote:Study Desks and Barter Stand slots passively display the items most recently placed on/in them, and barrels automatically get a label fitting their contents. I think UI-wise the simplest solution would be if cupboards would just always passively display a sign based on the most recent/least recent/first/last item in the cupboard. (If it's bound to a slot, the sign could be removed by leaving that slot empty.)

I would prefer static signs. Not to see what's inside, but to plan and let others know what should be inside :)
Procne

Postby mvgulik » Thu May 20, 2021 10:32 pm

OCO should allow one to put display sign's on top of cupboard's.
mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 20, 2021 10:41 pm

mvgulik wrote:OCO should allow one to put display sign's on top of cupboard's.

If this is the case, then all will be well. As it is... I should probably add this to the "top 10" list.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Thu May 20, 2021 11:07 pm

MagicManICT wrote:As it is... I should probably add this to the "top 10" list.

Rather than you adding it to the top 10, the devs should add it to the game. All of the "top 10" ideas are things that either aren't happening for good reason or things that will take a while because they're complicated. But barrels already have implicit content display, and display signs already have explicit content display (with the item icons no less). I'm not sure why it still isn't in the game. If there's a technical reason, it's probably something performance-related with the amount of extra signs that need to be rendered.
VDZ

Postby vatas » Fri May 21, 2021 8:19 am

VDZ wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:As it is... I should probably add this to the "top 10" list.

Rather than you adding it to the top 10, the devs should add it to the game. All of the "top 10" ideas are things that either aren't happening for good reason or things that will take a while because they're complicated. But barrels already have implicit content display, and display signs already have explicit content display (with the item icons no less). I'm not sure why it still isn't in the game. If there's a technical reason, it's probably something performance-related with the amount of extra signs that need to be rendered.

To my understanding, that's why the OCO (Object-Controlled-Object) is needed; Cupboard would have to "control" the Display Sign on top of it for it to work properly, both for the correct information and "being on top" -part.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby wolf1000wolf » Fri May 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Having some sorta of sign/indicator for cupboards would be amazing and a great quality of life improvement. Putting little display signs in front of cupboards makes it more difficult to access the cupboards...
wolf1000wolf

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas