Signs on cupboards

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Signs on cupboards

Postby VDZ » Fri May 21, 2021 8:17 pm

vatas wrote:To my understanding, that's why the OCO (Object-Controlled-Object) is needed; Cupboard would have to "control" the Display Sign on top of it for it to work properly, both for the correct information and "being on top" -part.

If the sign is a separate object, yeah. But why can't it just be part of the Cupboard? The label isn't an object attached to the Barrel either.
VDZ

Postby Procne » Fri May 21, 2021 11:14 pm

yeah, it could be simply painted on the top side of the cupboard
Procne

Postby terechgracz » Sat May 22, 2021 12:43 pm

mvgulik wrote:OCO should allow one to put display sign's on top of cupboard's.

Why you always say about this in almost every thread? You don't need special mechanic for putting static sign on top other static object. Like we are able to wear shield and other stuff. Also we have material variety. This game definitely can have signs on cupboards without needing to implement special interface for 2 years.
Afaik OCO is for making people able to walk on walls, tower, roofs, docks etc. something that needs to be written very well to not introduce game breaking bugs.
terechgracz

Postby mvgulik » Sat May 22, 2021 5:46 pm

terechgracz wrote:Why you always say about this in almost every thread?

Why do you never get your logic right!

Its simple, pay attention now.
When I always say that (whatever 'that' is), I would also say it in every thread. And not in almost every thread.
Or, always and almost are generally mutual exclusive. ... Well, almost always of course.
Got it!
mvgulik

Postby Liss12 » Sat May 22, 2021 5:58 pm

mvgulik wrote:
terechgracz wrote:Why you always say about this in almost every thread?

Why do you never get your logic right!

Its simple, pay attention now.
When I always say that (whatever 'that' is), I would also say it in every thread. And not in almost every thread.
Or, always and almost are generally mutual exclusive. ... Well, almost always of course.
Got it!

His logic is flaved only if we take as a fact that you comment in every thread, otherwise its alright. You arent commenting in every thread but whenever you do you always say about this. Imagine trying to play it off like cool sassy demagogue only to screw up like that lmao cringe bruh back to scholē.
Liss12

Postby mvgulik » Sun May 23, 2021 4:00 am

lol. Guess I got two, for the price of one.
mvgulik

Postby JinxDevona » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 am

VDZ wrote:Study Desks and Barter Stand slots passively display the items most recently placed on/in them, and barrels automatically get a label fitting their contents. I think UI-wise the simplest solution would be if cupboards would just always passively display a sign based on the most recent/least recent/first/last item in the cupboard. (If it's bound to a slot, the sign could be removed by leaving that slot empty.)

mvgulik wrote:OCO should allow one to put display sign's on top of cupboard's.
+1 to both

wolf1000wolf wrote:Having some sorta of sign/indicator for cupboards would be amazing and a great quality of life improvement. Putting little display signs in front of cupboards makes it more difficult to access the cupboards...

Why can we make almost everything in wood colours except for cupboards, wooden chests, etc? Even if we don't use wood colours, how about pigments dyes? Then at least we could colour code the cupboard, chests, etc.
Last edited by JinxDevona on Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry for the less common point of view, but it is the only one I have ;P
JinxDevona

Postby Soukuw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:11 am

IMO All cupboards need is skins for each wood type. Fits the game, fits the issue.

Edit: Above says the same thing, whoops
Soukuw

Postby Semja » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Wanted to start a new thread but found this one instead :D

It would be pretty awesome if there would be a way to differ cupboards from each other. While I hardly recommend not to change the color of a cupboard from the wood you use for it (it would be pretty annoying to watch for it when you are building your 300 cupboards for a great hall - just like if the palisade would get the color from the wood that is used^^) two of the 4 ideas I had are already called.

1. be able to place a sign/pergament at the front of a cupboard

Would be from all possibilities the most realistic i guess. When I think about how I would keep track of the things in my cupboards IRL I would definitly not build a sign to post it in front of the cupboard so I would stumble over it or won't be able to open it 'cause it's standing in the way...

2. reduce the hitbox of signs

Probably the easiest solution. We continue to place stupid little plates in front of our cupboards instead of nailing them at the cupboards itself but they don't block the way to reach them, even if you place them to the cupboard itself and not 1 meter afar or behind it (that's my favorit IRL-solution btw xD)

3. make it possible to color cupboards with pigments

Not very realistic and probably not very pretty, but still a possible solution. So if you have pigment in your inventory it will be added to the cupboard, just like spices or sketches.

4. place a sign on the top of a cupboard
Would for the gameplay probably the clearest solution so you can see the sign always without to turn around. But to be fair it would be also some kind of unrealistic, just like putting signs behind the cupboards ;)

I admit that I'm chaotic and forget things easy, but I saw no solution from anybody yet that looked really well organised with the signs on the ground ;P
Semja

Postby JinxDevona » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Semja wrote:I admit that I'm chaotic and forget things easy, but I saw no solution from anybody yet that looked really well organised with the signs on the ground ;P

I think one solution was mentioned you missed ;) , having wood colours on cupboards (and wood chests) would, in my opinion, be the best solution. There are I believe 70 types of wood, so there would be many options to colour code them and no pesky signage in the way.
Sorry for the less common point of view, but it is the only one I have ;P
JinxDevona

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas