Current game mechanics support a shorter world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Current game mechanics support a shorter world

Postby Liss12 » Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
Zampfeo wrote:Good post, but I agree with others that you shouldn't solve the lack of end game with infinite quality grind.

I've never been a faction player in Haven. I have however played with factions in other sandbox MMOs (Darkfall, Mortal, Eve). It's largely because I find the quality grind exhausting after a month or two. Whereas in those other games I've played there's generally a progression cap and the end game becomes the PVP content. You say that the quality grind ties into PVP because of better weaponry, but factions rarely have a reason to fight each other in the first place. The only somewhat fun PVP content in this game is sadistically messing with spruce caps.

If there were better realm and siege mechanics that promoted PVP, it would create more late-game content. Right now, there's no real incentive to fight over realm territory other than for clout and siege mechanics are so bad, sieging might as well not exist.

I'm not saying infinite quality grind shouldn't exist necessarily. The importance of industry is part of Haven's niche. If it's going to be this way, metal spiraling is the right way to do it because the act of a sprucecap selling iron is an organic catch-up mechanic. Ideally, we'd have a similar mechanic for each industry to allow plebs to trade their low-medium quality materials for high Q tools. And, as Maze pointed out, the barriers to this trade shouldn't be so high. To a sprucecap, trade stands are expensive and markets are unreachable.

PVP is not endgame in any good MMO I can think of, there are tons of people who play games like EVE for years and never once engage in PVP. EVE and MANY other MMOs can literally be super comparable to the endless sort of grind that haven is.

Fixing endgame with PVP in mind would be the biggest mistake the devs could make because they would be catering to such a tiny percent of the player population it would be a waste of time. PVP should not be considered the endgame in ANY way, just like in most other MMOs, PVP is 100% optional.

Do I agree that siege and pvp could use work? Sure.
Do I agree that there could be more incentive to fight over shit for the tiny percent of players who engage in realm-based battles? Sure.

That being said, I absolutely think haven endgame needs work but I think it should be MILES away from PVP in every imaginable way. Achievements, permanent trophies, leaderboards and anything that ultimately substantiates one's effort should be the endgame. Whether I am playing alone, with a couple friends or a realm village of 40 I think an endgame type of mechanic that could be enjoyed across the board of all types of players would be achievements. Everybody loves to brag, PVPers, hermits, casuals, you name it. Players can literally set their endgame - "this world I will aim for q500 metal and get the q500 metal badge." "This world I will aim for the kill 1000 foxes badge and get that permanent fox cape." etc.

Honestly if it feels like the game is steering away from catering to PVPers I think that is a blessing. There are about 750 people online right now as I type this and I would be incredibly surprised if 20 of them are actually interested in PVP. Haven endgame could be incredibly dynamic and accessible, contain many avenues for effort and time just as other MMOs do.

If you want to implement any type of competition or leaderboards you should get rid of bots and custom clients first. The sole thought that you might be spending dozens hours and still be behind because java junior dude wrote 30 lines of code is disheartening enough to deter people to even trying to compete.
Liss12

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri May 21, 2021 5:30 pm

Liss12 wrote:If you want to implement any type of competition or leaderboards you should get rid of bots and custom clients first. The sole thought that you might be spending dozens hours and still be behind because java junior dude wrote 30 lines of code is disheartening enough to deter people to even trying to compete.

Not necessary at all. Every mmo has bots to do menial tasks, and even the ones that are capable of enforcing rules are still plagued with people trying to circumvent them in any way they can.

There are so many facets to what one might be able to achieve in this game. I highly doubt that having a visual leaderboard for best quality X is going to motivate a botter to write a dozen new scripts just to get to the top of a leaderboard. And if it does, I suspect that a leaderboard might actually be a good tool for the devs to use for monitoring people for botting.

I know I would not be deterred from wanting to achieve a great menial task and being rewarded a very cool permanent item just because some other dude wrote a script for it.
Zentetsuken

Postby Zampfeo » Fri May 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:PVP is not endgame in any good MMO I can think of, there are tons of people who play games like EVE for years and never once engage in PVP. EVE and MANY other MMOs can literally be super comparable to the endless sort of grind that haven is.

Fixing endgame with PVP in mind would be the biggest mistake the devs could make because they would be catering to such a tiny percent of the player population it would be a waste of time. PVP should not be considered the endgame in ANY way, just like in most other MMOs, PVP is 100% optional.

I disagree. Even if someone doesn't participate in PVP directly, they're still contributing towards the resources that fuel it. PVP is what drives the economy in most sandbox MMOs. Without it, there would be no reason to craft, transport, or gather anything. In the end, everything gets consumed by faction PVP. Being a PVPer is optional, but PVP is not. The game might as well be single player if it weren't for PVP. This is the case for the majority of sandbox MMOs I've encountered (aside from Second Life I guess).

Zentetsuken wrote:That being said, I absolutely think haven endgame needs work but I think it should be MILES away from PVP in every imaginable way. Achievements, permanent trophies, leaderboards and anything that ultimately substantiates one's effort should be the endgame. Whether I am playing alone, with a couple friends or a realm village of 40 I think an endgame type of mechanic that could be enjoyed across the board of all types of players would be achievements. Everybody loves to brag, PVPers, hermits, casuals, you name it. Players can literally set their endgame - "this world I will aim for q500 metal and get the q500 metal badge." "This world I will aim for the kill 1000 foxes badge and get that permanent fox cape." etc.

I think you're overestimating the amount of people who care about achievements. WoW has become bloated with them, but the only people who care about them are either guilds who can get realm first achievements or a small minority of completionist players.

Edit:

Zentetsuken wrote:Honestly if it feels like the game is steering away from catering to PVPers I think that is a blessing. There are about 750 people online right now as I type this and I would be incredibly surprised if 20 of them are actually interested in PVP.

What does it matter if all of those players will be gone in a month anyway? Most of them are probably playing because building a village is fun. Not because grinding quality is.
Zampfeo

Postby Zentetsuken » Fri May 21, 2021 6:24 pm

the people who will be gone in a month will also include the 20 pvpers

you are overestimating the amount of people who actually actively trade and have their resources go towards fueling PVP

ever heard of a pvp right happening 4-5 months in to a world in the last 3 years? probably not

the few hundred people who play the game for the majority of the world are larper, hermits and casual players.

PVP in this game has become an afterthought for a good reason and it should stay that way
Zentetsuken

Postby Ozzy123 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:the few hundred people who play the game for the majority of the world are larper, hermits and casual players.

This^

I don't think metal spiralling would make anyone keep playing for longer except for a few botters and many people would quit sooner because they'd know that there is no way that they can catch up, atleast now they can hope to get lucky with ore ql. I agree with a lot of the thread but spiralling stuff is not the way to go imo.
epicbuds wrote:just got this game a bad review on my website and will post on every forum and game page i can think of to tell people to stay away from this site this game is a joke

viruseg wrote:Kill all new players for no reason. Polish scum came running and killed me with a crowd. Suck fuck fucks..
Ozzy123

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri May 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Ozzy123 wrote:
Zentetsuken wrote:the few hundred people who play the game for the majority of the world are larper, hermits and casual players.

This^

I don't think metal spiralling would make anyone keep playing for longer except for a few botters and many people would quit sooner because they'd know that there is no way that they can catch up, atleast now they can hope to get lucky with ore ql. I agree with a lot of the thread but spiralling stuff is not the way to go imo.

I feel like even the larper/hermits benefit more from this as it fuels a better economy and even the larpers/hermits get bored of the caps as we can see my some responses in this thread. Maybe spiraling isn't the way to go but yeah at the very least this capped bullshit definitely causes a lot of people to stop playing, especially me (I'm not a botter). Normally I continue playing the world far after PVP stops but there just isn't any point anymore.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Zampfeo » Fri May 21, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't think we should let the current state of the game distract us from what the game could be. Ideally, there'd be a reason for everyone: larpers, PVPers, casuals, factions, etc. to be playing 5 months+ into a world.
Zampfeo

Postby maze » Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Talked to my guys a bit and they suddenly laughed about caps.
I'm not even sure where ChildhoodObesity considers my group, but most stay off the forums without voicing their concerns.

But it was instantly, "O yeah metal spiraling, when everyone would only send one faction metal because they had the highest Q of stuff and there was no point in buying anyone else shit tier gear"
Pointing out it was also impossible to catch up to the people beyond q2000. they'd sell us their shit and they'd have q4000+ stuff.

Like I said earlier I agree with trade being the life blood of the early world and one of the best social parts of this game. Most people who get a taste of trade stay longer in game.
but very few quit for hitting the cap of this game. most people quit because this game just becomes boring after a few months.
There is no real town achievements to work towards.
and even less for factions to work towards
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby bmjclark » Fri May 21, 2021 10:58 pm

Endless spiralling honestly deters anyone from starting to play/picking the game back up later in the world. If you quit 4 months in with a q400 anvil, do you really want to start playing again 8 months in when you know some autists have spiralled their shit to like q1200? Probably not. You might say "well just trade lol" but the gold standard is a subtoken which is also just retarded (not to mention the fact that you'll probably never get anything near the actual top quality at this point anyways).

It is not fun at all to play knowing that big factions are running around with shit twice your quality and that you can never compete with them ever. I'd honestly rather see quality gains pulled back to something slower like legacy had where your natural resources capped your progression to some extent
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Fri May 21, 2021 11:30 pm

bmjclark wrote:Endless spiralling honestly deters anyone from starting to play/picking the game back up later in the world. If you quit 4 months in with a q400 anvil, do you really want to start playing again 8 months in when you know some autists have spiralled their shit to like q1200? Probably not. You might say "well just trade lol" but the gold standard is a subtoken which is also just retarded (not to mention the fact that you'll probably never get anything near the actual top quality at this point anyways).

It is not fun at all to play knowing that big factions are running around with shit twice your quality and that you can never compete with them ever. I'd honestly rather see quality gains pulled back to something slower like legacy had where your natural resources capped your progression to some extent

I feel like people who are quitting almost always aren't coming back until the next world anyways. All stuff like this does is punish the people who want to continue playing by giving them absolutely nothing to do. The gold standard here would be cast iron not tokens ideally and I'm pretty sure almost all trade threads these days are selling not much lower than their max quality at all, like within 20q. Also the idea that you will ever compete with anyone in a big faction being in a small group is just stupid anyways. I've been playing in 1 of the big factions for like 8-9 years and no random person or even GROUP of people have even come close to doing anything to me. Balancing gameplay around the idea that a single person should be competitive with a 30 person group is just really dumb.
Last edited by ChildhoodObesity on Fri May 21, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChildhoodObesity

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas