Current game mechanics support a shorter world

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Current game mechanics support a shorter world

Postby vatas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Kaios wrote: I recall Salem obfuscating their population numbers in similar ways and to me that only indicates that the developers are afraid of showing what the true numbers look like.

Loftar has disputed Salem faking their population.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Kaios » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 pm

vatas wrote:
Kaios wrote: I recall Salem obfuscating their population numbers in similar ways and to me that only indicates that the developers are afraid of showing what the true numbers look like.

Loftar has disputed Salem faking their population.

Ah thank you, that's interesting. I think that still leaves some uncertainty as to how that data is being tracked though, for instance whether or not multiple accounts from the same IP address are each being included or are all being counted as one. Offering up a metric of "active users per day/week/month" isn't all that useful on its own.
Kaios

Postby Decadent » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:32 am

Archiplex wrote:the idea of a wipe needs to be made into a core balancing point around the game. ... I mostly echo Sevenless here. Just embrace the fact that this game doesn't really work long-term, embrace a 3-4 month wipe cycle, and make the game faster and more exciting.

I agree with this, I posted about this here viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71277
Decadent

Postby Undefined » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:12 am

OP is on point... Game peaks earlier and earlier, non-combat interaction has decreased, communities are very insular. Much of the game after the first 3 months of getting established and everything in order is about pushing numbers until you reach a point where you cba to spend 8 hours a day pushing them anymore. You slowly reduce the time you play to the point that in order to just log in and play you'll first need to spend 3-4 hours maintaining all the shit you ignored for a couple of days and realize that you're not actually enjoying the game anymore. You move on to other games you can just load up and play for 8 months until you see a "NEW WORLD" post and start prepping to do it all again because you remember how much fun those first 3 months were last year.
Undefined

Postby Pills » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:03 am

Undefined wrote:OP is on point... Game peaks earlier and earlier, non-combat interaction has decreased, communities are very insular. Much of the game after the first 3 months of getting established and everything in order is about pushing numbers until you reach a point where you cba to spend 8 hours a day pushing them anymore. You slowly reduce the time you play to the point that in order to just log in and play you'll first need to spend 3-4 hours maintaining all the shit you ignored for a couple of days and realize that you're not actually enjoying the game anymore. You move on to other games you can just load up and play for 8 months until you see a "NEW WORLD" post and start prepping to do it all again because you remember how much fun those first 3 months were last year.

^ Exactly.

Only reason world 10 lasted so long was because of all the big communities, which the community itself then ruined by getting bored and fucking each other in the ass so nobody bothers anymore.

Then there's snail who just hates the idea of anybody else having fun
Pills

Postby Thaydi » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Pills wrote:Only reason world 10 lasted so long was because of all the big communities, which the community itself then ruined by getting bored and fucking each other in the ass so nobody bothers anymore.

World 10 literally died the moment they sieged Aurora down. The biggest community in the game had no reason to keep playing.

It lasted almost one more year god knows why.
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby abt79 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Thaydi wrote:World 10 literally died the moment they sieged Aurora down. The biggest community in the game had no reason to keep playing.

lmao not at all, the most important player city in w10 was the hedgehug Community Fair which was on the other side of the world from NK.

Keep coping larperbabby
abt79

Postby Pills » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:19 pm

abt79 wrote:
Thaydi wrote:World 10 literally died the moment they sieged Aurora down. The biggest community in the game had no reason to keep playing.

lmao not at all, the most important player city in w10 was the hedgehug Community Fair which was on the other side of the world from NK.

Keep coping larperbabby

I mean, you really can't deny the start of the decline was from the Aurora siege which happened because people "were bored".

But regardless, world 10 was an outlier, OP is on point, this game is boring af after a couple of months have passed with very little to do other than monotonously boring chores.
Pills

Postby Pieczywo » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:06 pm

Proposed in first post changes will make opposite to what we need.

> There's not really a point in trying to double someone's UA/MC because the cost to double someone is exponentially more than to be half of someone.

Cost have to grow exponentialy to have usecase for LP.

Also exponential growth on metal is making game less playable for vast majority of players which cannot play 24/7 with plenty of bots. Graph should (and it is) looking like sqrt(x) not x^2 or x^x.
As a person who is back from W6 i think that gems and boost on crafted curio broke some lp business.
Pieczywo

Postby Dawidio123 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:41 pm

Pieczywo wrote:Proposed in first post changes will make opposite to what we need.

> There's not really a point in trying to double someone's UA/MC because the cost to double someone is exponentially more than to be half of someone.

Cost have to grow exponentialy to have usecase for LP.

Also exponential growth on metal is making game less playable for vast majority of players which cannot play 24/7 with plenty of bots. Graph should (and it is) looking like sqrt(x) not x^2 or x^x.
As a person who is back from W6 i think that gems and boost on crafted curio broke some lp business.

There is no usecase for lp, crafting stats rarely have to go above 400 (which is achievable easily with gildings), and except for some VERY specific power spikes that last for very short timewindow (ie. thanes + dhelmet for melee) you can hardly double someone even if you tryhard af, and even then if you double someone it only starts to scale at the point you double them, so for it to be significant you need to do more than just double.
Long-term it's impossible to double someone who plays regularly due to how cost scales (which makes hybrid builds the way to go since you can easily keep up in both uac AND melee without much fear of ppl doubling you), the only usecase for tryharding lp is to bash newbs/inactive players easier.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas