Early game- lower foraging exp+per, more lushnish to noobies

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Early game- lower foraging exp+per, more lushnish to noobies

Postby maze » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:44 pm

The world of a noob is blank and bleak. Wondering around the forest seems very hallow as you can only see the tree's.
I suggest first lowering a few foragables to 0 exploration 0 Perception. This would help populate the lands

-Cattail
-Swamplily
-Dusk Fern

then adding another 0 exploration 0 perception,

-Flower patch
-Mushroom patch
-Weed patch

The patchs would be random flowers, mushrooms or WWW but will always be q10.
Items collected from the patchs could have flavor/info text telling the noobie to raise Perception and exploration "Raising Perception or exploration will reveal more foragables while exploring"
Last edited by maze on Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Re: Early game- lower foraging exp+per, more lushnish to noo

Postby abt79 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Swamplily is a tree/bush not a forageable. Mushroom/flower patch would devalue whatever relatively rare mushrooms/flowers you could find in them. Dusk ferns already have a very low perexp requirement.

More low-tier forest flowers would be nice tho
abt79

Postby maze » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm

abt79 wrote:Swamplily is a tree/bush not a forageable. Mushroom/flower patch would devalue whatever relatively rare mushrooms/flowers you could find in them. Dusk ferns already have a very low perexp requirement.

More low-tier forest flowers would be nice tho

Swamplily is a forageable (http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Swamplily).

Mushroom and flower patchs would not really devalue anything depending how J&L put it in.
Simply just make some flower/mushrooms rarer in the patch or impossible to get (troll mushroom).
and always q10 + the randomness devalues the patches futher.

a check should be inplace when spawning in an item, say blueberries.
Server would go "can player see this item" if no the blueberries would not show and a flower patch would be seen inplace.
They could go over and attempt to collect the flower patch and it would have a pool of items (Blueberries 50%, Nothing 25%, clovers 25%, and so on)

abt79 wrote:ferns already have a very low perexp requirement.

But you still need 15*10. you might not see that as a problem as you can easily get that within 10 mins on an alt.
But the normal noob comes into the world buying skills or placing points in cooking, survival, exploration and so on.

the game needs to be appalling for them right from the geeko.
game ideas
maze

Postby shubla » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:51 pm

Agree, not much point locking them behind. Maybe some a bit more rare early game forageables could be added to replace them, at low perc*exp values to still give incentive to rise foraging skills a bit in the beginning.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Reiber » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 am

agreed, with all the clutter on my minimap usually i quickly forget how empty haven looks before you got somewhere around 2500perc x exp
Reiber

Postby Sevenless » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:34 pm

100%. Haven is an empty lonely game as a beginner and that's not a great way to introduce people to the game.

I've wondered in the past if "mystery herbs" replacing some forageables that noobs can't see would be a good way to go about it. Heck maybe even every common (spawning frequently enough that using alts to spot them wouldn't provide any advantage) herb. Give the world mystery, let them try to pick it and say something like "you can't quite tell what that is, better not touch it" or something.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Mashadar » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:54 pm

Sevenless wrote:100%. Haven is an empty lonely game as a beginner and that's not a great way to introduce people to the game.

I've wondered in the past if "mystery herbs" replacing some forageables that noobs can't see would be a good way to go about it. Heck maybe even every common (spawning frequently enough that using alts to spot them wouldn't provide any advantage) herb. Give the world mystery, let them try to pick it and say something like "you can't quite tell what that is, better not touch it" or something.

Yes, this is a very good idea. When you start the world looks bleak and you have no idea that it would look very different if you reached higher levels of perception. Mystery herbs would tell the players that there is actually something to "unlock" and keep their interest for longer.
Mashadar

Postby SavageFox » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 pm

are some ideas for The Flower Patch
scrubgrass what it will say on the scrubgrass a mixture of dandelions and clover I don't have the perception to understand what this is if you study it would have the same value as a dandelion
if you offer it to a horse it will laugh it would be a donkey sounding laugh and if you offer it to a sheep or cow you will have a chance of receiving a wound my finger was nibbled

blueberry or not blueberry
that's the question for the second idea
if you eat it you will have a 10% chance of getting a wound it says why did I eat this it would do -1 intelligence and it will last for 45 minutes
you could study at it would have the same amount of value is a pine cow it will give you the same value as a blueberry towards intelligence if you eat it
SavageFox

Postby maze » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:33 am

Reiber wrote:agreed, with all the clutter on my minimap usually i quickly forget how empty haven looks before you got somewhere around 2500perc x exp

That's one of my biggest issues.
So little clutter, I really feel everything should have a variant.

lower perc/exp the more you will see stuff as patches, if someone else were beside you they would see the patch as what it is.
The lower perc/exp person only has a % to get the item as what it is. and if their perc is way to low (ie to see like Edels) they would only ever get garbage.
game ideas
maze

Postby maze » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 pm

Bump for relevance of a new world.
game ideas
maze

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas