Early game- lower foraging exp+per, more lushnish to noobies

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Early game- lower foraging exp+per, more lushnish to noo

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 pm

+1

Especially cattail would be good for 0 per*exp , because one of the earliest gatekeeps to all recipes is string and many noobs probably see that they need string for everything and quit because all they have is sucky taproot and nettle that they need for clothes.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Jalpha » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:18 pm

I like the idea. I like almost any idea which is a buff to foraging.

There is a case to be made though that the game is meant to be hard to learn, and that a new player should seek guidance from the community thereby participating in it.

If the game holds the players hand the whole way through they never learn how to learn. Also this community could benefit from new members.

I think making the game easier is better for income, some players will just walk away if they have to learn how to learn. Also if they never have to ask questions they never will.

Not a fan of zero per*exp visible foragables though.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby khajios » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:14 am

I have known a few people who didn't manage to figure out foragables without a few explanations.
Not sure what the best solution is, but I feel like a better way to explain this would be to add a quest at the start (Can you dismiss a quest?) having them reach like 3? perc*exp as a quest objective and have a couple things kick in at that point. Something very low so it is easy to hit off the bat.
It would be great to have a couple of these spread between different skills, like walking you through making a q10 board step-by-step, needing to make a saw, etc, and let the quests be dismissed if that isn't already a thing so that experienced players that just want their quest log clear can get rid of them.

It seems like it would be pretty low effort to add a few such quests as there is already a system in place. We already have a starting quest with objectives like "I hope you can find a birchtree where you spawned that hasn't been picked clean already, assuming you can even figure out which tree IS a birch".

It's kind of hard to know what you need to explain well to new players when you have been hermit-ing each world restart since world 2.
khajios

Postby Lojka » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:11 pm

idea 1:

if some flower can be picked only at 50 exp*per, view full of it at 100 exp*per
just make us available to see it (but not pick up) at around 30 exp*per

you will learn where to find this items, and you can see in tooltip how many points you need to gather it (just remember wow herbalism)

idea 2:

add some foragables, that need other skills:
for example carpentry*agility = and you will se some uniqe branches, some bird nests, or just lucky cone cows !

the cook can find more berries (or maybe the same bluberres, but you can see it either with exp*per or cook*per)

miner should spot more items in caves and so on
Lojka

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas