Dice + Easter eggs inspired curio

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Dice + Easter eggs inspired curio

Postby ErdTod » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:29 am

Hello!
I am swimming in excess wood that is still kinda good, but not my best so it's also kinda useless. So I thought it would be cool to have some sort of a sink for it:
"Idle Wood Carving" - when you're sitting idle in the woods with a knife and you start to carve random sticks. Sometimes something interesting might come out!

It would have one generic craft recipe and would take a wood block.
The LP gain would depend on the wood type AND a randomly rolled exact carving - basically, like Easter eggs and dice with a touch of meat smoking. Did you carve just a sharp stick? Or maybe some peculiar idol? Or a tribal mask? What wood did you use - a stick is probably better when it's oaken, but mask looks much better carved from cherry!

The resulting LP & weight should range from terrible to pretty good. Since the outcome is random, you'd need many-many attempts in order to farm "the best combination" - creating a sink to excess wood.
ErdTod

Re: Dice + Easter eggs inspired curio

Postby Reiber » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:36 am

ErdTod wrote:Hello!
I am swimming in excess wood that is still kinda good, but not my best so it's also kinda useless. So I thought it would be cool to have some sort of a sink for it:
"Idle Wood Carving" - when you're sitting idle in the woods with a knife and you start to carve random sticks. Sometimes something interesting might come out!

It would have one generic craft recipe and would take a wood block.
The LP gain would depend on the wood type AND a randomly rolled exact carving - basically, like Easter eggs and dice with a touch of meat smoking. Did you carve just a sharp stick? Or maybe some peculiar idol? Or a tribal mask? What wood did you use - a stick is probably better when it's oaken, but mask looks much better carved from cherry!

The resulting LP & weight should range from terrible to pretty good. Since the outcome is random, you'd need many-many attempts in order to farm "the best combination" - creating a sink to excess wood.

i like the idea, maybe make it take really long like 2x smithing , but with an slightly faster crafttime when sitting,
would be an cool way to "use" the time you are sitting in your rocking chair, waiting for your pipeweed to tick up before going afk. or your outlaws.

maybe different carvings could have slightly different caps too, or give out chances for different outcomes based on stats, your mc/carpentry char makes great wooden swords, whereas the idols of your psy char are way better.

while we are at it, what about an generic "painting" similar to eastereggs, but using cloth instead of eggs, different outcomes, could be an way to give some generic paintings for players walls, while also being an convenient clothsink, i know they are many, but hell everybody overproduces flax anyway.
Reiber

Return to Critique & Ideas