easier palisade repair

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: easier palisade repair

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:58 am

vatas wrote:
This palisade segment has taken damage during the past X hours, and cant be repaired.

It is already the case that objects cannot be repaired within ~1 minute of the destroy action being used on them
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:38 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
vatas wrote:
This palisade segment has taken damage during the past X hours, and cant be repaired.

It is already the case that objects cannot be repaired within ~1 minute of the destroy action being used on them

(Sorry for the necropost.)

If devs made a proper fix, why did they leave the old band-aid in? To my knowledge the siege system wouldn't really lend itself to "whittle the wall down gradually over time" -strategy anyway. The whole point is to get a sufficiently dried Ram next to wall and break it in one go, only real alternative is that attacker manages to destroy it before wall goes down. It just makes it pain to refurbish old reclaimed palisades.

"This wall segment has recently taken damage from a siege engine, and can't be repaired in X hours."

Cooldown from just repairing delenda est!
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:28 am

It's to prevent toggling vandal perms to negating shield damage>repairing from a siege system that hasn't existed in like 7 years or something. The bandaid has no reason to exist anymore.

I was a retard to suggest the compromise in OP, BTW. It would be a needless complication that adds nothing. Like a lot of people I was suggesting they add/change something to invalidate something else because I expected Jorbtar to react more positively to that. While I was probably right about the reaction, these compromises always make things worse than just removing the thing that serves no purpose except to be confusing/annoying.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby MooCow » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:27 am

There is a very real degenerate gameplay loop that the repair mechanic prevents, where a player endlessly out repairs the damage on their walls.

The ideal solution would be to have the repair timer accumulate charges until a wall can be fully repaired. When a wall takes damage all repair charges are lost.

It's probably a good idea to keep systems in the game that protect against degenerate gameplay, even if the problems they are protecting against don't currently exist.

Having to wait a real life day or so to repair your walls is literally no extra effort, and arguably a vaguely insisting mechanic as other players can see when wall changes are made.

Having to repair your walls every X minutes is hot garbage and needs to be deleted from the game.

To properly convey the system to players, the message when being blocked by a repairing timer should say 'This will be fully repairable in X hours.'

----

Additionally, before the devs ask "why do you need to repair your walls?".
-expanding your base
-adding additional gates/connectivity to your required multilayered wall system
-coming back to the game after not playing for 3 months

The 3 months being the worst of all, because you can have hundreds of walls to repair effectively giving you a permanent mark of shame. Even a tiny 50x50 base is going to be almost 200 walls
MooCow

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:21 am

You cannot repair a wall as it's being damaged, and even if you could there's another system in place that prevents most things from being repaired for a li'l bit after they've been damaged. The degenerate gameplay you're talking about either never existed, or hasn't existed for like a decade. Also siege isn't real anyway.

It is a lot of extra effort to repair your wall for 20% five times as opposed to 100% once.

It's really not that big of a deal either way since wall health is basically just aesthetics/OCD, but it's kinda cringe when systems are in place that literally do nothing except be annoying.
SnuggleSnail

Postby Vigilance » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:18 am

why the fuck would you bump this thread

it reminded me mvgulik existed

i spit

(this is actually a very good and valid thread and i'd +1 this)
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas