needing topQ snekkjas/knarrs is bad

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

needing topQ snekkjas/knarrs is bad

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am

Needing a topQ snekkja and or knarr built in whatever realm has the highest or == marriage of the sea has been cancer ever since their inception. Not just because you need to have the boat, but because they functionally nullify your ability to teleport somewhere to PVP a lot of the time since you can't teleport with boats. Not that I'm sure I even want people to be able to teleport with snekkjas, since it'd probably make getting ganked by horses & snekkjas from thingwalls worse.

It's functionally impossible to fight ppl when they have boats and you don't. Also, with the new navel fighting system not only do you need to have a boat, you need as many or more. With Snekkjas being bashable, and way faster in rivers(where most fights happen) if one side has more snekkjas they can just force the other side out of their snekkjas and bash them.

I get that snekkjas and kanrrs being absurdly fast is good in non-combat situations because it means less time to travel along the retardedly big map that nobody wants to do slowly, but IMO they've such a big impact on combat that they should be nerfed into the ground...
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: needing topQ snekkjas/knarrs is bad

Postby jordancoles » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:26 am

Variable speeds for boats based on their quality was a mistake imo. It's fun when you're the speedy boi, but it's terrible when you're in the shit q boat.

I think both sides can agree that it's not ideal
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:39 am

Same speed boats would be a huge improvement, but needing to have boats in order to PVP at all is a big hugely gay. They're way worse than safepalis ever were IMO
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:42 am

I agree that "hey I have better materials now, I can build faster ship, neat" is very nice and probably what devs thought but end result with the game being what it is, OP is absolutely right.

To keep ship quality relevant, it could instead reduce the damage taken while in High Seas.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SavageFox » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:50 am

I think all boats need a speed boost but not through quality
but quality should definitely make them more durable

I want even the basic rowboat and dug out to be a lot faster I think traveling by water should be the fastest way to travel besides teleporting
SavageFox

Postby Southpaw » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm

i love boat speed but the pvp implications are absolutely cancer

feels real good to build a new boat and have it be hella fast and dab on the aqueous creatures, but i do not care for when i am the aqueous creature being dabbed on.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby jordancoles » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am

If variable speed is reduced and normalized, please make sure that they still go faster than the average orca/whale. These animals are just not possible to fight in the water right now and pulling them to shore is basically a requirement.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby SavageFox » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 am

here's another suggestion but won't probably be popular but I think it's the best solution to this problem do not allow people to smash boats why they're occupied it's kind of a bulshit strategy anyway it's been in the game longer than I have played it and I started in World 4

the last time I tried it there was no consequence for smashing a boat why somebody was in it in the middle of a Waterway so you just sit there and wait for them to drown

you do not need a criminal flag to do it either

it's still one of the most broken things in this game

there should be more countermeasures for ships in general new Siege weapons or something

combat in the water in general needs an overhaul

to be honest I think there needs to be a totally different combat system for Water Combat different movesets and abilities to

also a different style of combat to engage from land to water

the boat should still be able to take damage from people but using the destroy command no it should be more sophisticated and require more effort
SavageFox

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:04 am

surely the most needlessly complex & work intensive solution that revolves around obscure mechanics most players who didn't directly read the patch will not know about until they die to it is the best solution here. Setting knarr/snek speed to be == rowboats and maybe making teleporting a bit easier would b 2 simple
SnuggleSnail

Postby SavageFox » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:00 pm

my suggestions won't be a good idea during an active World they would be at the beginning of one where everybody's in the same level
SavageFox

Return to Critique & Ideas