Using alchemy to simplify cooking

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Using alchemy to simplify cooking

Postby WowGain » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:04 am

So as to unify alchemy with more aspects of the game and removing some of the annoying randomness to certain things like parts of cooking- by taking items and analyzing them through alchemy you can find some of their core traits as they relate to stuff like cooking
Say you analyze a block of pine, you discover that it has an affinity for strength sausages and modifies the hunger on them if you smoke those sausages with pine

simple as that
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Re: Using alchemy to simplify cooking

Postby vatas » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Food ingredients have so many variables depending on which food it's applied, I wouldn't be surprised if Jorb simply couldn't pull that data easily even if he wanted.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:28 pm

the food system is awful too much bloat to make this mechanic work.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby WowGain » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:07 pm

vatas wrote:Food ingredients have so many variables depending on which food it's applied, I wouldn't be surprised if Jorb simply couldn't pull that data easily even if he wanted.

An idea that's been suggested before but a good one nonetheless would just be to stop taking every ingredient in the game and randomly assigning it values for every food item it can be used in and instead just give each thing specific attributes that can be understood by human beings
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
WowGain

Postby AtoB » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:26 am

WowGain wrote:
vatas wrote:Food ingredients have so many variables depending on which food it's applied, I wouldn't be surprised if Jorb simply couldn't pull that data easily even if he wanted.

An idea that's been suggested before but a good one nonetheless would just be to stop taking every ingredient in the game and randomly assigning it values for every food item it can be used in and instead just give each thing specific attributes that can be understood by human beings

Where would be the fun in that?

It's better that only robots can iterate through all combinations, so finding the overpowered item of the day is kept to a small group.
AtoB

Postby WowGain » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:20 pm

AtoB wrote:It's better that only robots can iterate through all combinations, so finding the overpowered item of the day is kept to a small group.

cookbooks are a public and easily accessible resource so i wouldnt call it something that's kept hidden from the playerbase, its just annoying that crowd-sourced spreadsheets are basically the only way to have a realistic chance of understanding which ingredient combos on what foods are worth bothering with.
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
WowGain

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 pm

AtoB wrote:It's better that only robots can iterate through all combinations, so finding the overpowered item of the day is kept to a small group.

There are lots of VERY good foods that aren't on the public cookbooks, and the public cookbooks have no good way of parsing the data they're given so they've been vandalized a lot.

Considering how much effort has been put into holding sperglord autists back in the name of keeping stats somewhat balanced, it's hilarious that on the lower end it's unrealistic for most players to even know what foods they're supposed to make. Every time I raid some guy who clearly plays a lot, probably more than me, but I outstat 10:1 I feel bad when I see his cupboards full of worthless garbage food. So much time wasted that if he knew how to spend properly maybe he wouldn't have gotten dunked with no chance to win at all, and maybe I would have a fun rivalry instead of an ant to squash.

Moreover, how the fuck does Jorbtar intend to balance literally hundreds of thousands/millions/tens of millions of recipes? Even a few outliers break the entire system, in fact fewer outliers just make those outliers more powerful because fewer people will have access to them. For the majority of the playerbase feasting is directly or indirectly either a majority of, or a significant portion of their time spent playing the game. There should be an intended set of foods to eat. Foods that are fun to make, hard to bot, or create trade. This is one of the worst places for RNG to decide gameplay.

When smoked sausages were meta for 5 minutes before whales ruined it, I spent so much time outside my walls just boating around hunting and having fun. I don't even rly think it was the most effective use of my time, but it was close enough and more enjoyable. Balancing food around that kind of activity would probably make the world feel more alive than most of your other attempts at getting people to leave their walls.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Return to Critique & Ideas