Crime rework

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Crime rework

Postby Sephiron » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 am

Okay okay, hear me out here. I know this is a touchy subject for a lot of people but what if...
When you commit a crime, you just get outlawed. If the scent that made you outlawed is collected by another player, then you become red-handed.
This seems to make a lot more sense to me imho. If literally nobody is on your trail, I don't see why the perpetrator would be unable to fast travel home.
If the argument is "Well, what if the murderer/thief is too well defended?", that's just power scaling for you. We could also make sieges easier, as it stands it's kind of a pain to wait all day for a wrecking ball to dry just so you can break into an abandoned claim.

I think wanted posters would be helpful too. Nothing too complex, just let players "copy" a scent onto a wanted poster that can be posted onto trees or walls, or maybe just set down as a standalone object. Any player can roll up to a posted wanted poster and collect a scent from it, and the poster would remain for as long as the original scent exists. Would encourage teamwork I think.
Sephiron

Re: Crime rework

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:26 am

I would unironically quit the game if somebody could perma red hand me by spam picking up my scents in their base with a bot. Also, infinitely re-producible scents would bad for triangulating people's position 24/7. Also, also nobody is going to track the wanted posters anyway.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Sephiron » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:29 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I would unironically quit the game if somebody could perma red hand me by spam picking up my scents in their base with a bot. Also, infinitely re-producible scents would bad for triangulating people's position 24/7. Also, also nobody is going to track the wanted posters anyway.

nah bro, I mean the wanted posters would vanish when your original scent expires. Say you slap someone dead and leave a stench of murder. I think those last for 9 days right? well regnar comes by 6 days later and takes your scent. I think the scent on the ground should vanish (or stay on the ground, just not red-hand more than the first time), and it should only exist in his inventory for 3 more days. This is when you get red-handed for some time. If he brings it back to his little hermit community and makes a wanted poster, the poster should also only last 3 more days. If he convinces someone to pick the scent from the poster, the scent that they receive will only last for 3 days and won't make you red-handed again. Perhaps any one person can collect a scent from each poster only once then?

The whole triangulating people's position 24/7 is kind of the point though, you can kind of do that already although there aren't really enough people playing this game for that to even be a problem. The wanted poster is just because I think it would encourage more pvp. If a poster is set up in a high traffic area then other people may feel encouraged to actually track for once.

You've said it yourself before though- and also demonstrated that nobody tracks anyone. A few days ago I was outlawed because I stole a barrel of tar from someone's fucking leanto. This guy logged into his alt whenever the tarpits nearby were full and emptied them out, and threw it in a leanto. Do you know how long it took me to sail home? Not a single person came chasing me down on my way home. what kind of bullshit is that?
Sephiron

Postby telum12 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Holy shit being randomly redhanded whenever one of your scents scattered in 20, 50, 100, or w/e, places gets picked up sounds like a garbage mechanic.

An initial 5-10 minute redhanded timer and a potential extension up to 1 hour if someone is tracking you (but only 1 hour after scent creation) would make redhanded a lot less cancerous though.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Sephiron » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Well shit, be glad I'm not a game developer. Imagine if they just got rid of the fast travel restrictions completely though
Sephiron

Return to Critique & Ideas