energy food & hunger

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: energy food & hunger

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:10 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:This won't break/change any PVP META, it won't make anything more annoying that it already is, there won't be extra downsides for people that don't play 18 hours per day cause they have a life and it fixes your permanent problem with the miners.

IMO, it would be a great improvement for PVPers, but I don't think that's the core problem, TBH. The hunger system is presumably only really there to stop automation from going too rampant, but if anything it predominately hurts inexperienced people, or those who refuse to game the system with alts. I'm glad it's there in general for anti-botting purposes, but it doesn't need to fuck over miners & people that want to cut more than 5 trees with a stone axe early world before their hunger is fucked.

There have been occasions early game when we've had a bad table & I've already eaten all of my FEP food, but I've gotten low energy again just from running on forest terrain for a bit and my best solution it literally to logout and play another character. A game mechanic that actively discourages you from playing the game is self-evidently bad, but there are lots of solutions for retaining the survival & anti-botting elements of the hunger system while having it not so badly impact regular play.

Yeah exactly, I'm just saying that this:
SnuggleSnail wrote:just make foods that are typically used for hunger(mushroom spits, roasthopper, odd tubers, rat on a stick, grilled frogs legs, cattail stew, butter porridge, roast meat, etc) not give FEPs or hunger.

is undeniably the best easy solution at the moment, not arguing against it.

My LABOUR ALT, who ate shit food without using a table, literally had better stats than my hermit friends, but the devs probably don't even understand what a labour alt is.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sephiron » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:37 am

wonder-ass wrote:it doesn't even stop botting and if anything has encouraged mass alting. I have no fucking idea why energy is still in the game it's such a trash mechanic.
if jorb wants to keep energy for its stupid survival gimmick then just turn it into a passive drain while you play.

Big stupid idea time. What if energy acts as a "max stamina" sort of like how hhp/shp works. You can only have as much stamina as you have energy, and energy slowly goes down over time while logged in(Let's say from full energy, that would take 8 RL hours to reach 0%?). Water should also not lower energy, and you shouldn't be stopped from working if you have low energy like you currently do. Instead, if you have low energy you're just constantly drinking water to fill up your stamina, which personally I think the inconvenience of filling your water up is much better than taking a break to eat. higher water quality should replenish more stamina, instead of how it currently works by decreasing less energy. If you reach 0% energy or something like that, you could get an exhaustion debuff or something. At least then you could finish up whatever you're doing before having to get to a table for a meal break. Eating would still give energy, but sleeping in beds could also replenish energy depending on which bed you're using, and will only replenish energy if you're fed.
Last edited by Sephiron on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sephiron

Postby jordancoles » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:38 am

I still think that eating without a table should only increase energy and give no FEP bonuses
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 pm

jordancoles wrote:I still think that eating without a table should only increase energy and give no FEP bonuses

I like this one even better.
Nightdawg

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
jordancoles wrote:I still think that eating without a table should only increase energy and give no FEP bonuses

I like this one even better.

This still wouldnt change much ud still start starving 15 mins in to a fight early world with q10 water. Its actually unreasonable to run away early world like ull starve b4 u get kod.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:47 pm

wonder-ass wrote:This still wouldnt change much ud still start starving 15 mins in to a fight early world with q10 water. Its actually unreasonable to run away early world like ull starve b4 u get kod.

Yes, but that's another problem that needs tackling. I still don't like how late game I can run for 4 hours from you and pick up every single speed buff in the mean time and you have to call 3 ships from across the world to catch me, assuming I don't also call 3 ships of my own to pick me up.

I guess early world there's no risk of getting cleaved to death cause you get punched anyway.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:37 am

IMO, most of the suggested solutions seem as viable enough to make no difference for people who know what they're doing. The only real concern feels like making it intuitive for new or returning players. Personally, I think specific foods being intended ONLY for energy is the most intuitive.

IMO, every food should have a very specific intended use-case. Although I expect the food system in general will remain so bloated with random garbage and red herrings that 90% of all food would end up in the 'only useful for energy' category, so maybe the table option is better in a non-utopian world. Depends if Jorbtar ever intends to make figuring out what foods are good a reasonable task for a normal, well adjusted human being.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:04 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I expect the food system in general will remain so bloated with random garbage and red herrings that 90% of all food would end up in the 'only useful for energy' category

Yep... unless we also count food variants that use the wrong spices, which would make it 99.5%
Nightdawg

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:58 pm

I mean, we've been asking for this (or any of the variations on mechanics to solve this) since more or less day one of this food system. At what point do we give up on jorb and loftar ever seeing eye to eye with us on it?

I'm somewhat dispirited on this topic.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:16 pm

Sevenless wrote:I mean, we've been asking for this (or any of the variations on mechanics to solve this) since more or less day one of this food system. At what point do we give up on jorb and loftar ever seeing eye to eye with us on it?

I'm somewhat dispirited on this topic.

Yeah this stubbornness is very annoying, but we've seen them change global pools after asking for 2 years, so just be more stubborn than them, as long as you want the game to be good rather than trash.
We can do this, friends!
Nightdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas