buckets of water in inventory

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: buckets of water in inventory

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:45 am

Archiplex wrote:Make the game worse for everybody, including me, because I think it will hurt a group I dislike more than my group

If you dislike the skill gap between average players and PVPers making it neigh impossible for regular players to even run away from PVPers ir probably not how you lessen that gap
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Zbyx » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:08 am

Make it so that additional water containers (except buckets) make you run a bit slower with each additional one, then there wont be need for so many of them in inventory.
Zbyx

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:11 am

You've made a very autistic enemy here today, nematode
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Archiplex » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:33 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Archiplex wrote:Make the game worse for everybody, including me, because I think it will hurt a group I dislike more than my group

If you dislike the skill gap between average players and PVPers making it neigh impossible for regular players to even run away from PVPers ir probably not how you lessen that gap

I'm sure I'll be perfectly fine. Making things even more annoying for people to travel the world and go on long pvp trips that require hours of commitment and autistic determination? Now that's my cuppa tea.

But good point. Let's also make it so you can't travel dock a boat unless you can afford the weariness cost, and remove visitor/regular gate differentiation and just let people run through them so we don't need airlocks anymore, that way sprucies won't get caught off guard by bad game mechanics. That way, they can at least stay near their home and be relatively safe until the big bad pvpers decide to siege. ;)

Hell, let's throw another thing on top of it: Make it so you can only drink so much water every X minutes until it starts to no longer give stamina regeneration.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Zbyx » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:04 pm

Archiplex wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:
Archiplex wrote:
Hell, let's throw another thing on top of it: Make it so you can only drink so much water every X minutes until it starts to no longer give stamina regeneration.

I dont like this idea because it affects a lot, like building which takes forever already
Zbyx

Postby telum12 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:02 pm

Archiplex wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:

I'm sure I'll be perfectly fine. Making things even more annoying for people to travel the world and go on long pvp trips that require hours of commitment and autistic determination? Now that's my cuppa tea.

But good point. Let's also make it so you can't travel dock a boat unless you can afford the weariness cost, and remove visitor/regular gate differentiation and just let people run through them so we don't need airlocks anymore, that way sprucies won't get caught off guard by bad game mechanics. That way, they can at least stay near their home and be relatively safe until the big bad pvpers decide to siege. ;)

You're trying to make pvp more annoying for faction ppl (for whatever reason) but all you're doing is shooting yourself in the food.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby vatas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Problem is, most ideas to "give newbies more chance against veterans" ideas would just be exploited by the veterans. After all, there's no way for game to tell who is genuine new player and who is an alt.

It's not like small minority petitioned for the normal/visitor divide on gates to harm newbies (admittedly, it does arguably adds points of failure to their bases) but because every fight near friendly base turned into "run inside to safety, if somebody is dumb enough to follow close the gate behind them and evict them, they get KO'd if in combat when evict timer finishes.

Making it required to afford TW costs would mean that for the first month or two, everyone is locked out of long sailing trips. Then newbies are still locked out but veterans have enough WILL or have dedicated alt for it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:36 pm

vatas wrote:Problem is, most ideas to "give newbies more chance against veterans" ideas would just be exploited by the veterans.

The only way to give newbies a higher chance, is to give both newbies and veterans the same advantage, by the means of decreasing the skill required (and thus the skill gap) of things, or the time required (and thus the significance of the time difference between people who invest 18 hours a day, and people who can only play 2 hours a day).

A bucket holds 10l. A waterskin holds 3l.
1) You get a bucket after playing for... 10 minutes? idk, it's quick.
You get 2 waterskins (6l, not 10l, per 4 slots) after you catch some small critters or kill some big animals, put the hides on drying racks, and wait for them to dry. This clearly takes more time, and animal hides are needed for other things too.

2) Veterans unlock dry animal hides and better belts much faster than newbies.
It takes newbies more time to unlock dry animal hides, it takes them significantly more to unlock better belts.

Let people put buckets in their inventory = both veterans and newbies gain an advantage. But the gap between them will be a bit smaller. If you look at it overall, the newbies gain a bigger advantage than the veterans, therefore shrinking the gap by a little bit.
At least that's what OP is suggesting for early game IMO.

Late game won't even be affected.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zbyx » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:58 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
vatas wrote:Problem is, most ideas to "give newbies more chance against veterans" ideas would just be exploited by the veterans.

The only way to give newbies a higher chance, is to give both newbies and veterans the same advantage, by the means of decreasing the skill required (and thus the skill gap) of things, or the time required (and thus the significance of the time difference between people who invest 18 hours a day, and people who can only play 2 hours a day).

A bucket holds 10l. A waterskin holds 3l.
1) You get a bucket after playing for... 10 minutes? idk, it's quick.
You get 2 waterskins (6l, not 10l, per 4 slots) after you catch some small critters or kill some big animals, put the hides on drying racks, and wait for them to dry. This clearly takes more time, and animal hides are needed for other things too.

2) Veterans unlock dry animal hides and better belts much faster than newbies.
It takes newbies more time to unlock dry animal hides, it takes them significantly more to unlock better belts.

Let people put buckets in their inventory = both veterans and newbies gain an advantage. But the gap between them will be a bit smaller. If you look at it overall, the newbies gain a bigger advantage than the veterans, therefore shrinking the gap by a little bit.
At least that's what OP is suggesting for early game IMO.

Late game won't even be affected.

Newbies usually don't carry a lot of water with them , but veteran fighters - do. Giving them more options is a terrible idea.
Zbyx

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:45 pm

I mean at some point you have to draw the line and say they'll just get KO'd and have to learn from "running out of water" but imo it's a good thing to make the tools available so they can learn a lot. (aka water bucket in inv or something like this, so they can practise more running ^^)
Pommfritz

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas