Let Catapults Damage NPCs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Let Catapults Damage NPCs

Postby jordancoles » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:10 am

Why can catapults damage players but not NPCs? In my opinion, if you are a small-time solo player and if you are willing to invest the resources, I see no problem with being able to catapult a mammoth, a troll, or a whale to death. It would take many shots, and it is not like these creatures are gamebreaking should the average player get their hands on one. Hardcapped by the shooter's survival.

Any competant group grinds these mobs on a near daily basis like it's nothing, so why not give more options to people who are not combat-oriented or who play alone?

An argument I can see against this would be that people could potentially catapult livestock from outside of someones' walls, but placing your animals 25 tiles in doesn't seem like much to ask and even if your animals were in range, only 3 shots can be fired at a time from 1 catapult and it is unlikely for multiple catapults to be used against random hermits. There is also the option to simply not allow tamed animals to be catapulted.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Re: Let Catapults Damage NPCs

Postby Massa » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:06 am

jordancoles wrote:Why can catapults damage players but not NPCs? In my opinion, if you are a small-time solo player and if you are willing to invest the resources, I see no problem with being able to catapult a mammoth, a troll, or a whale to death. It would take many shots, and it is not like these creatures are gamebreaking should the average player get their hands on one. Hardcapped by the shooter's survival.

Any competant group grinds these mobs on a near daily basis like it's nothing, so why not give more options to people who are not combat-oriented or who play alone?

An argument I can see against this would be that people could potentially catapult livestock from outside of someones' walls, but placing your animals 25 tiles in doesn't seem like much to ask and even if your animals were in range, only 3 shots can be fired at a time from 1 catapult and it is unlikely for multiple catapults to be used against random hermits. There is also the option to simply not allow tamed animals to be catapulted.

agree, especially given trolls will fuck you up regardless of a wall
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Troll cave-ins should be straight up removed. Never worked as intended, never will.
Make them spit.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Fierce_Deity » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm

I dont like the idea of a catapult working in a mined section of a cave...maybe naturally generated tunnels and caverns for sure. Muh realism, the ceiling is too low for that shit.

If troll cave ins are removed & swapped with spit or something I think it would need to go through walls to a degree. Especially if you get to catapult them over walls
Fierce_Deity

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:56 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:I dont like the idea of a catapult working in a mined section of a cave...maybe naturally generated tunnels and caverns for sure. Muh realism, the ceiling is too low for that shit.

Well, if it's big enough for a troll to walk through...

Maybe we should have ballista added. Could be used to kill trolls, whales, mammoths, and snails. Should have some major drawbacks.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:09 am

MagicManICT wrote:
Fierce_Deity wrote:I dont like the idea of a catapult working in a mined section of a cave...maybe naturally generated tunnels and caverns for sure. Muh realism, the ceiling is too low for that shit.

Well, if it's big enough for a troll to walk through...

Maybe we should have ballista added. Could be used to kill trolls, whales, mammoths, and snails. Should have some major drawbacks.

I really don't see the problem with just allowing catapults to deal like 450 dmg per shot to animals. It's 3 shots per hour per catapult and if you invest in multiple hours or catapults I see no issue as long as it's survival capped by the person firing.

If you saw how fast factions kill trolls/mammoths etc then you'd realize how much of a of non-an issue it would be to just let hermits get some catapult kills.

I just view it as more sand in the box for different play styles
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:57 pm

jordancoles wrote:If you saw how fast factions kill trolls/mammoths etc then you'd realize how much of a of non-an issue it would be to just let hermits get some catapult kills.

Not really much longer than to take down a bear if done right. There's been a video or two posted.

Overall, I would say I agree. I was merely suggesting an alternative for those that didn't want to warp their view of "realism" for a catapult.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:58 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
jordancoles wrote:If you saw how fast factions kill trolls/mammoths etc then you'd realize how much of a of non-an issue it would be to just let hermits get some catapult kills.

Not really much longer than to take down a bear if done right. There's been a video or two posted.

Overall, I would say I agree. I was merely suggesting an alternative for those that didn't want to warp their view of "realism" for a catapult.

I'd like to see said videos of taking down level 9 trolls, not taking much longer than a bear, with <300 stats, granted we can kill bears with.. 40 stats
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Massa » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 pm

If troll cave ins are removed & swapped with spit or something I think it would need to go through walls to a degree. Especially if you get to catapult them over walls

yeah but a stone tower is chill
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby jordancoles » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:40 am

bump

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Return to Critique & Ideas