Bonds/Claims in Character Sheet

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Bonds/Claims in Character Sheet

Postby Oddity » Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:22 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Make it so the LP system doesn't favor splitting combat and crafting skills between 2+ characters, since they're competing for the same learning points. Then do the same for FEPs so I can raise fighting and crafting stats on one character without them both competing for the same hunger bar. Then let me own a few claims on my main without eating up my mentory (this thread). I'm sure 4-16 claims per character is enough maintenance-tedium to prevent whatever abuses you imagine, without needing to handicap the character's stat growth.

Give us the old LP system back!
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby DonVelD » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:26 am

loftar wrote:Potential critique on the specific ideas linked aside, would you guys really stop using separate combat/crafting characters just because that were implemented? It is difficult for me to imagine that you wouldn't have separate crafting characters anyway just to avoid the risk of them dying in combat. Or is dying purely a thing of the past now?

You have to make a really bad mistake to die, or have really bad luck. I don't think death matters here. Though as snail said there's credos & I think crafting chars would still be used because sharing accounts would get annoying if people only had the desired crafting stat on their main which is currently being used by the owner 24/7.

But still I think that change would make the game much more convenient and it would reduce the need for alts, or make stuff like survival easier to get without sacrificing your combat stats.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:43 am

loftar wrote:Potential critique on the specific ideas linked aside, would you guys really stop using separate combat/crafting characters just because that were implemented? It is difficult for me to imagine that you wouldn't have separate crafting characters anyway just to avoid the risk of them dying in combat. Or is dying purely a thing of the past now?

For myself I could only see crafting alts be relevant for the sake of having a character file available for everyone in the village to easily access if those changes were implemented.
Specifically disincentivizing the village npc would require a lot of other systematic changes that aren't really in the purview of these specific LP growth and claim issues though.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Agrik » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:54 am

loftar wrote:Part of the problem is also that the alt problem is entirely intrinsic to everything about the game. I hardly see a future where we can make it so that it's not strictly speaking better to have two or three alts just to be able to do multiple tasks at once
The case when it's not better is when the outcome depends on the mental activity, not on the time spent. Of course, a game can have more relaxed activities, they just have to be rewarded accordingly.

I'm afraid a game can't be about "just being there and pretending (imitating smth., like LARP)" when it is competitive (open world PvP) and has free access. Looks like, it has to be about solving problems and overcoming challenges then.

DDDsDD999 wrote:I agree that there will always be an advantage in having the ability to have characters in multiple place at once.
An incentive to hoard more "property" can be countered by a need to "maintain" it in a way. (Not in a way of simply spending time, ofc).

loftar wrote:One thing that we have actually considered in the past is that claims become "inactive", as in no longer receiving LP from studied curiosities, when the owner hasn't visited the claim in a while.
Keeping in mind that a claim is something like a projection of its owner's power... maybe somehow take character's stats into account? And anyways, it looks like paying with time-priced LP is too simple.

loftar wrote:Potential critique on the specific ideas linked aside, would you guys really stop using separate combat/crafting characters just because that were implemented? It is difficult for me to imagine that you wouldn't have separate crafting characters anyway just to avoid the risk of them dying in combat.
As long as combat and crafting tracks of development are easy enough that one person can master both...
Agrik

Postby llemonpie » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:21 pm

Why anyone would fight with their crafting character? Its a risk of getting wounds and stats lowered (or even losing character). Also the crafter char almost always sit inside a pali doing crafting, not roaming in the wild.

Merging fighter and crafter character development into one can be beneficial only the first week of the world or so. So its pretty useless.

The separate window for claim bonds and village management is the cleanest idea so far.
But IMHO its better to allocate dev time towards other issues (client usability, UI and gameplay documentation, QOL updates).
llemonpie

Re: Separate slots for Bonds in Character Sheet

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:15 pm

DanteThanatos wrote:Had the same idea few days ago.

Even made this little example.

There is a neat space beneath the study window.

+1

BUMP
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Re: Separate slots for Bonds in Character Sheet

Postby Dawidio123 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:39 pm

noindyfikator wrote:
DanteThanatos wrote:Had the same idea few days ago.

Even made this little example.

There is a neat space beneath the study window.

+1

BUMP

This, stealing a bond from a spruce is not an intended mechanic, it's literally impossible unless the victim has no game knowledge or you make him quit the game (arguably there should be some way to take over a claim, but this ain't it boss), anyone competent has an alt for that and will never lose their bond.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby maze » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:29 pm

My take

I don't normally use claims on my main, taking the exp away sucks.
If I'm playing competitively the alts I have ~ Claim alts, Lawspeaker Alt, Rage Alts, Main toon, Crafter toon, Public Miner, Public Farmer, public butcher, public cook. so 9 alts? this its spread among 10 accounts currently.
The public is nearly a must in some casual style village because players tend to quit a lot, suddenly you have no miner...well shit, better have backup.
It's one reason why It would be nice to have alts or mains tied to the town instead of the account, so anyone can log on.

For Bonds, it takes up extra space, it uses LP, its a noob trap if the noob is knocked out (they don't know about reclaiming 9/10 times).
if it used it's own system, like the experience point system~ I think it would be wholly better; there is no reason a personal claim should be bigger then a village claim. But in a lot of cases its quicker to expand personal claims then it is villages with LP. once you hit around a million point claim, normally then its to much and a village claim is better.

Separate Claims from LP, make it their own thing, make bonds used for transferring only.
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby vatas » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if the amount of people who quit the game forever because of the "someone KO me, three days later they own my base and I can't get out" -newb trap has reached triple digits.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas