community vs player progression; a call to change

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: community vs player progression; a call to change

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Id say stat growth this world was at its best plus the 2x ua/mc if only they would change whale mechanics its quite dog shit.
I dont understand how hitting a whale from safety for 20 mins is good and enjoyable content? why do they have so much health? For what?
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Southpaw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 pm

Archiplex wrote:lol the argument became "1v1 me bro"

i dont really think thats a problem when theres so much of this post's suggestion that is "neuter character development" and its basically just people trying to say character development isnt the same level of bogeyman people think it is

if there's one thing i learned this world its that balls of stats are still sometimes piloted by retards
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:10 am

vatas wrote:Way this could work is if you could, for example, create position like "village cook" and the person holding the position while physically within the villageclaim has their relevant stats replaced by the "village cook" -template that has its stats raised through some sort of communal village investment. You could of course make someone else "village cook" if previous person stopped playing or left the village, and the template would stay the same.

I think the game definitely needs player progression, my idea is to add community progression as an alternative/auxiliary thing you can work towards.

I decided I want to make a proper post about this, called "Community Progression: Village Positions" but there are too many completely loose ends.

1. How exactly would you level up Position's stats?
2. How would you apply Credos to a position?
3. If Positions only work while inside Village Claim, you can't really have positions for Forager, Miner or Hunter. If Positions work anywhere, why not make dummy villages that only exist to churn out Positions?
4. How would this interact with death mechanics? (Dying while holding a position, maybe just relevant for combat stats that could be excluded?)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Potjeh » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:14 am

Don't overcomplicate it with village positions, just make quality depend only on raw materials and tools used. If you're removing stats remove them completely, don't half ass it.

But yeah, I like this suggestion because I think it'd lead to a lot more PvP which would be more exciting than replanting your farm for the millionth time. Food can give direct buffs to damage/armor/crafting. Rare shit like whales can give high tier crafting ingredients instead of OP food.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby saltyfish » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:09 am

-1 it is game of character, not communism.
saltyfish

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:03 pm

I like the idea of some grand experimental change just for shits, but I don't think dropping player progression in favour of community progression is the way to go here.

If PVP was still a thing, why do you think that alts and bots would be less used? Wouldn't it maybe even be more necessary to make bots or alts for combat situations if your character is so much more disposable. Consider the shubla-boat scenario or all the non-menial-labour type things that bots are used for (checking spots for animal spawns, natural resources, players). I feel like these bots are more harmful to the game then a bot that mines or farms and your idea doesn't address them at all.

Also, this whole idea really takes away from the hermit experience. You've completely negated them in endgame and made the need to be in a large group even more desirable, or possibly even totally necessary.

BIG IDEA = GOOD
THIS IDEA = BAD
Zentetsuken

Postby maze » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:07 am

Zentetsuken wrote:I like the idea of some grand experimental change just for shits, but I don't think dropping player progression in favour of community progression is the way to go here.

If PVP was still a thing, why do you think that alts and bots would be less used? Wouldn't it maybe even be more necessary to make bots or alts for combat situations if your character is so much more disposable. Consider the shubla-boat scenario or all the non-menial-labour type things that bots are used for (checking spots for animal spawns, natural resources, players). I feel like these bots are more harmful to the game then a bot that mines or farms and your idea doesn't address them at all.

Also, this whole idea really takes away from the hermit experience. You've completely negated them in endgame and made the need to be in a large group even more desirable, or possibly even totally necessary.

BIG IDEA = GOOD
THIS IDEA = BAD

The watch bots were slowly nerfed this world, but people quick made roaming bots + road watching bots.
While making our bots we noticed the angler watching bot was unable to find anglers. it seems if the bot had under 20 str, any angler they discovered first would instantly despawn.
How did we find that out? Well using our world 13 bot that just spawns in then logs off, it didn't work. so we used the roaming one. it didn't work.
So we created a new one that check roads, it started spotting anglers everywhere; teleport the bot to the angler spot to keep the angler loaded~ poof angler.
alright so instead keep angler bot watching but have a main come kill the angler - bam suddenly working angler watching bot.

Not sure how to fix watch bots~ but I've let Jorb know about our watch bots before to fix things. I don't think he really cared to much this world. :(

I don't think the idea itself would stop hermit gameplay; I think it's more that anyone can join into a community and help progress it or a single person can progress their own stuff theirselves- I think the endgame expression in my post might have been a bit of misleading and unwarranted as it was only shoved into the post to "add an endgame" but not even one I think would even be good.

what I really need to do is sit down for a few hours and really writeup along boring read on how systems would work and the progression of such systems in the current state of the game - me being lazy at this point seems to be getting me in trouble :D
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas