Make PVE harder

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make PVE harder

Postby stya » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Down!

PvE does not need more tedium, prob half of the playerbase can barely kill a bear before they quit already...

Those who do know how to fight won't care or find some other cheese or team up and smaller villages/hermits will just suffer from your ideas. I mean you don't need to cheese the vast majority of the animals, you can even fight trolls fairly either alone doing hit and run or with a few friends and just facetank it.
stya

Postby Zbyx » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:44 pm

stya wrote:PvE does not need more tedium

It is not tedious at all to kill animals with cheese i mentioned before, the only tedious thing about current hunting is that you need to bring thousands of animals to your base , butcher them and put it somewhere.
I think if difficulty of hunt and output from each meat piece would be increased that would make things less tedious and more interesting.

stya wrote: prob half of the playerbase can barely kill a bear before they quit already...

I am pretty sure (although i could be wrong) the reason people leave is not because PVE content is too hard, and those who do for this reason are probably in a minority.

stya wrote:Those who do know how to fight won't care or find some other cheese or team up and smaller villages/hermits will just suffer from your ideas.

I don't mind if people cheese, i just do mind if it's the mindless cheese or with little effort/no sacrifice/no skill. ( example: how to kill most land animals : lure to water -> equip boar spear -> in safety use quick barrage untill it is dead and loose nothing)
Ofc it will make it less possible to hunt solo so hermits will probably suffer somewhat (although i think it is negligible difference in the grand scheme of things) , but for a small village it could become a group activity and i think that if people do something together it is definitely more interesting. Currently you can just solo stuff very early into the world (with a few exceptions ofc) so there is no need to take anyone with you.

stya wrote: I mean you don't need to cheese the vast majority of the animals, you can even fight trolls fairly either alone doing hit and run or with a few friends and just facetank it.

It takes quite a while to be able to do something like this so i am kind of fine with that (although i would definitely prefer if troll fights were more memorable than this) . The cheese strategies i want to be changed are those with pretty much no risk and effort.
Zbyx

Postby WowGain » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:47 am

down
you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to the mechanics of hunting, what "challenge" consists of in game design, and about the current state of hunting in haven and hearth

stop
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Zbyx » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:11 am

WowGain wrote: you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to the mechanics of hunting,

I would ask for a bit more detail on this point
WowGain wrote: what "challenge" consists of in game design

Well, i just doubt that i can offer something huge like change combat to a more reactive kind.
WowGain wrote: and about the current state of hunting in haven and hearth

You mean like right now? I think that with stats and equipment people have now the term hunting can be changed into "occasional stop". If you mean something else then i would ask for a bit more explanation on this point too.

WowGain wrote: stop

I could be very wrong about everything i try to offer (although i would like an explanation why) but i am pretty sure we can at least agree on one thing - that hunting is not fun for the most part.
Making a topic from time to time which reminds it to people and makes them think a bit about it is fine in my opinion xP
Zbyx

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:05 am

Pve designed around damage is kind of uninteresting but it works on a very basic level and is probably the easiest thing to do. For more interesting pve/combat h&h would need to shift towards a more action combat oriented design where you could actively dodge attacks/knock down players or something or at least add cc/ movement skills that you can put into your deck. Also I think pve should be designed in a way to prepare you for pvp (at least in a pvp game xd). How this would look like in h&h I have no idea but it is probably very difficult to design and goes beyond being one hit KO'd and die if you fuck up (troll).
Now with cheesing, you forget that it takes time especially undergeared so that's sort of an investment, leaves you open to getting ganked as well. Removing cheesing with some artificial restrictions(boat example) is dumb especially with armor wear. Your highest quality equipment is actually not easy to replace for most people, especially if it's traded or stolen xd So you would need to carry 2 sets around or create an alt with shit gear. That would absolutely suck and people will just try harder to find ways to cheese. Imo you want to create an enviroment where people are indifferent between cheesing and fighting normal and not just blindly put in restrictions. I think good combat skill should be rewarded with not taking any damage, especially vs animals but this is saying combat SKILL and not just damage vs tank ability.
Pommfritz

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas