Hunting and trapping animals

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Hunting and trapping animals

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:30 pm

So the major way to go about hunting is to cheese animals, I will go over a few examples how cheesing animals could actually be part of the game.

Trapping animals
I think it makes sense to trap animals in a game where you can go out and hunt, to avoid damage mainly and take down animals more easly if you are undergeared or unskilled yet.
The way this is done now is basically by boat hunting, abusing cliffs or caves. But my idea is: Why not develop with it?

Examples for common animals (fox - bear)
1)you can build a trap with simple materials (string and wood) and lure animals into it, they will be aggroed but unable to move in there and slowly destroy the trap/break free, giving you enough time to shot it from the distance or run away and clear openings if you melee it. A basic trap will be destroyed after you killed the animal.
2)You can build a metal trap that takes up a bit of inventory space or store it in your belt and put it down, use it the same way as the basic trap however you can pick it up and use it again.

Whales
(I don't want to comment on how rare whales are or something and how tedious it might be to look for them it's a different topic imo that I also have very little experience in)
it's not a trap but the removal of the horse pulling it on land thing as the only option. It just doesn't make any sense to me because most whales you kill on some island and you would need to drag it all the way to your closest shore. It's very very tedious for when you basically got super lucky to find one and then either have to drag it back (can be more or less silly depending how far you happen to be and I think you never wanna skip killing a whale because of that.. ) or you do some alt juggling to port over a horse, which is just a bad mechanic.
My idea is to build some sort of pulley just sideways xd (on land),with a bunch of wood or metal and a rope, rightclick the machine select "use", go to whale rightclick select "tow" and then pull it onto the island with that machine. Very simple, way less tedious. You butcher it and peace out.
OR make it a str requirement, click tow on the whale and pull it on land yourself or with other people who click tow on the whale and have a rope. Their strengths are combined to drag the whale on land.
with 500 combined str you can barely move the whale let it take 30mins-60mins until it's dragged so much that you can butcher
with 10000 combined str you can pull it on land on crawl speed
everything inbetween is a linear progression

Mammoths
have not killed one yet but I think the traps I see are a fine mechanic, I don't wanna comment on it too much but one idea I had was that mammoths very very slowly break the palisade and you can repair it afterwards so it sort of makes sense as a trap rather than an exploit or use the metal trap mentioned above but mammoths will break free faster and break it on killing it. I think it's nice to build in a way so that you can kind of free form build to make a trap (like those mammoth traps)

A thing that's kind of a gimmick but would be cool: you drop a carrot and a rabbit is afk next to it so it's easier to hunt, but it doesn't really matter because you can hunt them anyway and you have access to carrots way too late to make it relevant. but maybe you can drop some foraged berries or something, idk what they eat lol
Pommfritz

Re: Hunting and trapping animals

Postby Zbyx » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Pommfritz wrote:Mammoths
have not killed one yet but I think the traps I see are a fine mechanic, I don't wanna comment on it too much but one idea I had was that mammoths very very slowly break the palisade and you can repair it afterwards so it sort of makes sense as a trap rather than an exploit or use the metal trap mentioned above but mammoths will break free faster and break it on killing it. I think it's nice to build in a way so that you can kind of free form build to make a trap (like those mammoth traps)

The AI of mammoth would need some upgrades because i am absolutely sure people will try to find a way to raid peoples homes like this. I think a better idea would be making a new wall like "wooden spike wall" or "small palisade" or smth.
Zbyx

Re: Hunting and trapping animals

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:35 pm

I didnt think about that yep. Could also just maybe keep it like it is now
Pommfritz

Return to Critique & Ideas