Seasonality Discussion

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Seasonality Discussion

Postby mlg_no-Scoper » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:04 am

All the discussions of seasons have been kinda dumb imo. I feel like people just act like crops dying, forgeble seasonality, and animal seasonality have to be kept as a part of seasons no matter what. The answer for me is pretty simple. Keep the cool seasonal shit like skiing and sledding and snow and ice in the winter, leaf piles and autumn leaf in the fall, etc. and just remove the annoying shit. Its not like haven is a realistic game and its not like removing seasons is more realistic than having crops not die in the winter. The answer to seasonality is to some degree, lessening the the bad parts of winter. I know that the community is a bit split on this issue so it doesn't have to immediately become that crops grow in winter and trees dont die, but changing things like trees not having seeds until summer, and important forgebles always being available. There is literally no reason to entirely remove seasons though because it would make much more sense to just remove the bad parts of seasons without enirely deleting them. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't heard anyone else make this claim, because it just seems like a really simple fix.
mlg_no-Scoper

Re: Seasonality Discussion

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:41 am

I think the whole outrage against seasons comes from shitty pvp with sledges and skis. Which litterally means you die if you don't run around in skis 100% of the time + have all the water you can hold on you. I haven't been in combat with a player during winter and there might be some other issues fighting with skis and sledges but you can also just destroy them (I'm not 100% sure if you can destroy other peoples skis but I managed to destroy mine xd and also a wolf destroyed mine so I assume you can just destroy someone elses and get away or have a non ski fight if he destroys them too). But if you are forced into using skis, otherwise your character just dies, it fucking sucks and also there are little stupid things like the skis landing on your cursor instead in your inventory when you pick them up with a blocked backpack slot or the energy drain on speed4... like just test drive skis for 10mins before you implement them lmao..
otherwise I was really looking forward to winter because it ment no timewasting on farming and raiding the places I planned to when I had this extra time. And also exploring without any energy cost(this is big!!) and discovering many local ressources, for this it's great.
Spring basically just sucks because trees you plant don't grow with seeds, I have no problem if all the trees regrow seeds in Summer but the ones I plant would just grow with seeds.. I just planted a ton of high quality trees in Autumn so I'm still fine on wood this Spring. At this point I have no curio shortage or need those small curios, I also don't really need to forage so for me it's not as bad as for players who are just freshly starting because they can't build or discover anything xD

Would be cool if someone could point out some issues why pvp on skis or sledges suck. My assumption is that both probably have the same speed all the time so there is not really a chance to make use of movement?
Pommfritz

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas