Limited capacity of wells

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Limited capacity of wells

Postby telum12 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 pm

"no water is no tedium"

You're the dude who suggested having a cap on how much water you can consume to reduce tedium of having to drink water. Are you mentally challenged?

Putting up barriers such that you cannot perform certain activities in the game is not removing tedium; rather, it is exactly what adding tedium looks like. Forcing people to maintain multiple wells across multiple locations is increasing tedium. Forcing people to sprinkle water on the ground to improve the output of a well (what the fuck is wrong with you) is tedium.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Massa » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:59 pm

why are we humoring this thread

it sucks and it's a horrible idea completely out of touch with the game and the op made it sickeningly clear he has never played the game in any particular way
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Agrik » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:27 am

telum12 wrote:suggested having a cap on how much water you can consume to reduce tedium of having to drink water.
Well, I often hear "this is tedium", "that is tedium" in recent time. Maybe I get the meaning wrong?

telum12 wrote:Putting up barriers such that you cannot perform certain activities in the game is not removing tedium; rather, it is exactly what adding tedium looks like. Forcing people to maintain multiple wells across multiple locations is increasing tedium.
The whole gameplay is about being able to do some things, not being able to do other ones, and changing something about it by your actions, isn't it? I wonder what the game is supposed to look like, without all the "barriers such that you cannot perform certain activities", while not ceasing to be an open-world survival which has something common with reality. I wonder what in the game isn't "tedium" for you then, if building, defending, contesting, using player-built structures is "tedium". (If I've got right what you mean by "maintain", ofc.) Is having multiple wells across multiple locations still too simple? Then it needs to be made even more complex and challenging. Or you'd prefer to have no well-related activity at all?

telum12 wrote:Forcing people to sprinkle water on the ground to improve the output of a well
I'm not exactly sure how wells work, so pouring water on the ground may be not the way to refill.

Anyways, if the water is of worse quality, it would dilute the inflow, temporarily lowering its Q not only in the nearest well, but in a radius. It's quite limited "improvement", I think. And maybe maximum growth of the inflow should also be limited... IDK, to 2-3 times the natural?
Agrik

Postby Phaen » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:14 am

Agrik wrote:I'm not exactly sure how wells work, so pouring water on the ground may be not the way to refill.

Sprinkling water near a well does nothing because the height of the water in the well depends on how deep the groundwater is in that area:

Phaen

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:35 am

Building a base, defending it, and attacking others are not tedious. Aspects can be, like digging dirt and watching a ram for 24 hours, but crossing sword with a news opponent or building a new, pretty building is not.

Your idea is because it suggests doing an action over and over: building wells with a pali. Currently my water meta is travelling, which is always a risk for combat, to whatever is best public well in reach. Same path granted, but the potential for a player encounter.

To discourage from digging many adjacent wells, people should leave their fucking vgates open. I actually sieged and stole a well this world because they wouldn't share.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Agrik » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:17 am

Phaen wrote:Sprinkling water near a well does nothing because the height of the water in the well depends on how deep the groundwater is in that area:
I wasn't talking about "sprinkling water". The talk, as I get it, was about taking water out of a well and pouring it somewhere on the ground, in amounts that make and keep the well empty.

I appreciate the illustration but it doesn't answer where the poured water ends up. If the well is empty and kept as such for some time, the level of ground water around it perhaps gets lower locally? Like a swamp being drained, but on a lesser scale. While the poured water goes down and would contribute to the amount of water in the ground, again, locally? As I understand, in some places water-resistant (?) layers can isolate groundwater from surface, but such case can perhaps be omitted in the game representation, at least for a time.

Ah, and I've found a different picture, on the Wikipedia:
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Groundwater_flow.svg, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquifer)
Here I see a water table depression due to a usage of a well, "recharge" which is water supposedly seeping through the ground into groundwater, and even typical times of water moving between different places, which are days to years.

Apocoreo wrote:Building a base, defending it, and attacking others are not tedious. Aspects can be, like digging dirt and watching a ram for 24 hours, but crossing sword with a news opponent or building a new, pretty building is not.

Your idea is because it suggests doing an action over and over: building wells with a pali.
Also contesting it, no? If the well is worth the efforts to maintain, it may worth the effort to take over. Literally player-made, or player-driven "local resources".

Apocoreo wrote:Currently my water meta is travelling, which is always a risk for combat, to whatever is best public well in reach. Same path granted, but the potential for a player encounter.

To discourage from digging many adjacent wells, people should leave their fucking vgates open. I actually sieged and stole a well this world because they wouldn't share.
Um, I don't see how this story is related to the topic. It is, perhaps, just I don't get it.
Agrik

Postby Zbyx » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:57 am

Agrik wrote:Wells look like a too easy way to get high Q water

No its not. Not only you need to find a good spot (and if its near high Q water then probably defend it too) , and then to grind a lot of exp to dig it deeper (which is a lot of work just these two) but also bringing a ton of it to your base every week or so is boring af.
It's only whole factions usually which have good Q water well, and if you make it even more limited then everyone else will get a short end of the stick.
Zbyx

Postby Fostik » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am

There is nothing to discuss what tedium is, and how fast water can spread over aquifer.

Limited capacity well is death to public wells - no one will put efforts in well and make it public to see it emptied by others most of the time.
Death of public wells will create a titanic size gap between high scale fractions and other players. Inability to get high quality water for 95% of players will force players to quit new worlds much faster.
Nothing good for game in this idea at all.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Massa » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:26 pm

What's been said has been said.

Suffocating water supply just harms the newbies and smaller players in the game. The big fat guys will always have all the water they need, because they're the ones who make and grind the wells.

Allowing public access on a controlled and managed claim with a limitless supply of water is good for the game. Opening access for everyone to have better resources for trees, food, and anything else that takes water benefits everyone and costs no one. And it's not like the benefits are insanely OP, but having good water takes a lot of pressure off of very specific points that can be a little rough.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Agrik wrote:Also contesting it, no? If the well is worth the efforts to maintain, it may worth the effort to take over. Literally player-made, or player-driven "local resources".

By "contesting" you mean sieging wells? I'm not going to siege multiple wells for water. They're too hard to defend as it is. Better to keep them public. This suggest puts yet more power in the hands of those that already have the power to defend their territory and attack others.

The purpose of the story was to describe my in-game experience with this kind of thing. Wells are hard to increase the q of, making high q water even harder to get means more competition to hold wells, which would be good if the game wasn't so imbalanced. I would no longer be willing to try to take other's wells as it would have far more risk of alerting a big boi, or be a time-consuming, long term war.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas