Add a timer to getting onto skis, like coracles

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Add a timer to getting onto skis, like coracles

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:05 pm

Skis going sprint speed make you move at 83 speed while normal sprinting is 67. Scripts that get on and off of your skis instantly can be used to get a huge advantage in foot chases

Same issues that lead to the timer on coracles, pls change ty

Also you do not get slowed when you drink water while sprinting, so it's basically legacy movement. Might want to fix that, or just remove speed drops while running and drinking ty

Info about skis:
-Both skis and kicksleds go the same speed on non-slow tiles - 16.7 speed
-Skis go 59 speed when shift clicked on the snow at 3rd speed and it does not drain stamina. Normal run speed is 50. For comparison, kicksleds go between 65-68 speed on snow, so sleds are faster than skis at 3rd speed.
-You can sprint while wearing skis but it drains stamina fast as fuck. Normal sprint speed on foot is 67 and skis sprint at 83 speed.
-You can currently drink while sprining on skis without losing speed
-There is currently no timer to get on or off of a pair of skis
-Skis have no quality
-Skis can go on your back like a coracle and have a right click option to either get on or to pick up. They can also be stored in your inventory, but not a belt
-Skis have variable materials for their appearance

I haven't tested on ice yet because there isn't any
Last edited by jordancoles on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Re: Add a timer to getting onto skis, like coracles

Postby strpk0 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:15 pm

+ 1 please, winter PvP is already painful with how kicksleds work as it is

I also feel like having 4th speed on skis burn your stamina this badly just doubles down on the concept of "if you didn't bring enough water, you're dying".
It should at most be the same for regular sprinting.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:26 am

I cast time on entering skis would be rly bad.

Skis aren't comparable to coracles. If you get caught outside without a ski in winter you just die for free, and probably actually die not just KO because you're completely helpless and only an absolute nematode wouldn't take their time to setup an actual kill.

Imagine a scenario where you're getting chased on a ski fight and for some reason you've forced to cross some non-snow terrain. If they outnumber you, one of them can happily get off their ski and run to you to stop you from getting onto yours by lifting it or w/e. Then, he can run to his friends and be protected while he gets on his. You're left there completely helpless and absolutely fucked. This wouldn't be an uncommon occurrence if snow fights were common, but thankfully they're gonna continue to be so god awful that the solution will just be to not play during winter as before.

That shit worked with coracles because it made them effectively unusable unless your gap is already big enough that getting in a boat wouldn't matter, you're already away. Skis aren't like that, they're completely mandatory to be on near 100% of the time or you just die. Truly an awful/unfun system with regards to PVP, but better than sleds at least.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:35 am

RIP sleds. I think I would prefer a sled chase, there's no chance I carry more water than an aggressive player
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Return to Critique & Ideas