Make Wilderness Spawning Smarter

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Make Wilderness Spawning Smarter

Postby Ferinex » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 am

Spawn people of similar linguistic backgrounds in proximity to each other, so that they might find each other naturally in the same neck of the Hearthlands. This would have the added effect of creating regions in the Hearthlands where particular languages are more likely to be encountered. I enjoy encountering people from around the globe, but for practical purposes it makes sense that Polish-speaking folks, Russian-speaking folks, English-speaking folks, etc spawn naturally in blobs near each other. Currently people organize entirely outside the game, and use wilderness beacons to congregate. If we spawned near our Earthly peers it would be more realistic for people to meet firstly in the game, and organize there. Realms themselves may then naturally form around linguistic groups, which is synergistic with the realm chat function.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Re: Make Wilderness Spawning Smarter

Postby meus » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:24 am

How do you know who wants to speak what language, and how about multilingual?

Your easiest and best bet is to join a village directly.
meus

Postby Ferinex » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 pm

when I want to know what a user wants, I either ask or look for an already-provided answer. In this case I'd go first to the system-configured localized language, same as done for the rest of the client's localization.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 pm

Ferinex wrote:when I want to know what a user wants, I either ask or look for an already-provided answer. In this case I'd go first to the system-configured localized language, same as done for the rest of the client's localization.

Posting so I can come back to this post and laugh again in the future.
DDDsDD999

Postby cherryquartz » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 am

Ferinex wrote:Spawn people of similar linguistic backgrounds in proximity to each other, so that they might find each other naturally in the same neck of the Hearthlands. This would have the added effect of creating regions in the Hearthlands where particular languages are more likely to be encountered. I enjoy encountering people from around the globe, but for practical purposes it makes sense that Polish-speaking folks, Russian-speaking folks, English-speaking folks, etc spawn naturally in blobs near each other. Currently people organize entirely outside the game, and use wilderness beacons to congregate. If we spawned near our Earthly peers it would be more realistic for people to meet firstly in the game, and organize there. Realms themselves may then naturally form around linguistic groups, which is synergistic with the realm chat function.

How is this is any way smarter? If you don't have friends, its not up to the game to find you any. This also sounds alot like segregation, are you a racist?
cherryquartz

Postby meus » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:42 pm

Well, it's just about impossible to figure out someone's "true" language. Many people just play with English because it's easier to find anything on the wiki, etc.
Another problem would be how the game world should be divided, in advance - with regard to both overcrowded/desolate areas, and to similar/different languages.
And with how in-game chat works, really, the best option is joining a village.
meus

Postby MadNomad » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:37 pm

interesting idea
MadNomad

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Clustering by ip geolocation may not be the worst idea.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby cherryquartz » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:09 pm

shubla wrote:Clustering by ip geolocation may not be the worst idea.

How did i know you wouldn't be against this? I actually messaged my friend and told him this sounds even worse than a Shubla idea.
cherryquartz

Postby MadNomad » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:19 am

cherryquartz wrote:
shubla wrote:Clustering by ip geolocation may not be the worst idea.

How did i know you wouldn't be against this? I actually messaged my friend and told him this sounds even worse than a Shubla idea.

can you give some reason why would this idea be bad? for example I find it nice, because you can for example form realms with people of similiar culture and same language, and even in case you were not interested you're still free to build a knarr and go anywhere you want in the world

you can probably say that you can also move or build beacons to find people of the same nation, but in this case it would probably be on village level because it would take too much effort to make a whole realm of purely/mostly 1 nationality using this way

cherryquartz wrote:This also sounds alot like segregation

in case you are really disturbed by the effect of implementing this idea you are still free to travel somewhere else, but in case it is not implemented forming realms of same nationality/culture on realm scale would require building plenty of beacons or make a lot of people do the effort of travelling there(and it still does not collect the same amount of similiar people together), and having many people take the effort of moving is worse than having less people take this effort I think

cherryquartz wrote:This also sounds alot like segregation, are you a racist?

there's nothing racist in desire to mix with similiar people, just a preference
what if I do not know a foreign language for example? or if my proficiency at speaking it is not too great? or if I simply like something that is my own?
Last edited by MadNomad on Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadNomad

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas