Make Wilderness Spawning Smarter

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Make Wilderness Spawning Smarter

Postby cherryquartz » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:48 am

MadNomad wrote:
cherryquartz wrote:
shubla wrote:Clustering by ip geolocation may not be the worst idea.

How did i know you wouldn't be against this? I actually messaged my friend and told him this sounds even worse than a Shubla idea.

can you give some reason why would this idea be bad? for example I find it nice, because you can for example form realms with people of similiar culture and same language, and even in case you were not interested you're still free to build a knarr and go anywhere you want in the world

you can probably say that you can also move or build beacons to find people of the same nation, but in this case it would probably be on village level because it would take too much effort to make a whole realm of purely/mostly 1 nationality using this way

cherryquartz wrote:This also sounds alot like segregation

in case you are really disturbed by the effect of implementing this idea you are still free to travel somewhere else, but in case it is not implemented forming realms of same nationality/culture on realm scale would require building plenty of beacons or make a lot of people do the effort of travelling there, and having many people take the effort of moving is worse than having less people take this effort I think

So, because like 3 people like the idea it should be implemented?

1. there would be a distinct difference in areas that would be populated, an English speaking area would be overrun.

2. People who speak multiple languages, they might prefer to be in a village with others that speak multiple languages.

3. People who are already in villages/factions that speak different languages would have to do what you're bitching about, build beacons etc.

4. Some people aren't interested in being segregated by their language/culture.

5. You, Shubla and anyone else that likes this idea, can still travel anywhere, i can guarantee the majority of the community would not support this idea so the majority of the community would have to travel to find their friends, just so people without friends don't feel so alone.

6. How would J&L know which language people would prefer to speak if those multilingual players were to be segregated?

7. Who would decide where each group was placed? People would complain about distribution of resources etc.

Simply, its a terrible idea and would cause even more racism, discrimination and nastiness that already exists.
cherryquartz

Postby MadNomad » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 am

cherryquartz wrote:So, because like 3 people like the idea it should be implemented?

how would you know how many people like the idea? did you literally ask every player around? in this thread I can see less than 10 people talking

also, maybe it is not as powerful reason as the other ones, but this idea would make things more natural and realistic XD :D
MadNomad

Postby cherryquartz » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 am

MadNomad wrote:
cherryquartz wrote:So, because like 3 people like the idea it should be implemented?

how would you know how many people like the idea? did you literally ask every player around? in this thread I can see less than 10 people talking

also, maybe it is not as powerful reason as the other ones, but this idea would make things more natural and realistic XD :D

Because, clearly, unlike you, i talk to people.

A powerful reason? You haven't even come up with a semi decent reason, let alone a powerful one.
cherryquartz

Postby Nightdawg » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:59 am

MadNomad wrote:what if I do not know a foreign language for example?

if they refuse to speak english, kill them
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby MadNomad » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:03 am

cherryquartz wrote:1. there would be a distinct difference in areas that would be populated, an English speaking area would be overrun.

why would this thing be so terrible? some nations are bigger, some are smaller, but what is so bad about it?

cherryquartz wrote:2. People who speak multiple languages, they might prefer to be in a village with others that speak multiple languages.

but is it more common for people to be used to one language and use it more frequently or to speak a lot of languages at the same time?

cherryquartz wrote:3. People who are already in villages/factions that speak different languages would have to do what you're bitching about, build beacons etc.

good point, perhaps I have not thought about this, but perhaps there is something more to think about in this aspect, does it surely deny the whole sense of this thread's suggestion?

cherryquartz wrote:4. Some people aren't interested in being segregated by their language/culture.

indeed, you are right, but some do, so without having any calculations done, we could assume that it is for example a 50/50 in this case

cherryquartz wrote:5. You, Shubla and anyone else that likes this idea, can still travel anywhere, i can guarantee the majority of the community would not support this idea so the majority of the community would have to travel to find their friends, just so people without friends don't feel so alone.

how can you guarantee / prove this?

cherryquartz wrote:6. How would J&L know which language people would prefer to speak if those multilingual players were to be segregated?

I don't know, perhaps this is another topic to discuss about?

cherryquartz wrote:7. Who would decide where each group was placed? People would complain about distribution of resources etc.

and perhaps this is another topic to discuss about as well

cherryquartz wrote:Simply, its a terrible idea and would cause even more racism, discrimination and nastiness that already exists.

I find this judgement a little bit far-fetched as you did not even say why would it be like this
Last edited by MadNomad on Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby cherryquartz » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:04 am

MadNomad wrote:there's nothing racist in desire to mix with similiar people, just a preference
what if I do not know a foreign language for example? or if my proficiency at speaking it is not too great? or if I simply like something that is my own?

Sounds pretty racist to me.

There's a forum dedicated to finding people to play with, use it.
cherryquartz

Postby MadNomad » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 am

cherryquartz wrote:Because, clearly, unlike you, i talk to people.

actually I am afraid that you do not know me and do not have any basis to make a judgement on how many people I talk with, how can you prove you're right in this case? this is not clear, because you're literally speaking with a random person on the internet that you do not know

cherryquartz wrote:A powerful reason? You haven't even come up with a semi decent reason, let alone a powerful one.

isn't the desire to mix with people of same language/culture a good reason? or having things look more natural/realistic?
MadNomad

Postby cherryquartz » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:10 am

MadNomad wrote:
cherryquartz wrote:A powerful reason? You haven't even come up with a semi decent reason, let alone a powerful one.

isn't the desire to mix with people of same language/culture a good reason? or having things look more natural/realistic?

No, frankly, it sounds racist. I dunno if you've noticed but trolls don't actually live in caves in the real world, we don't have ents roaming around and lynx don't look like they have been smacked in the face with a shovel and run like they are constipated. Realism isn't something we should be worrying about.
cherryquartz

Postby MadNomad » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 am

cherryquartz wrote:
MadNomad wrote:there's nothing racist in desire to mix with similiar people, just a preference
what if I do not know a foreign language for example? or if my proficiency at speaking it is not too great? or if I simply like something that is my own?

I thought that racist is someone who dislikes other races and not someone who simply likes their own, because those two things are not of exactly the same meaning, liking one person does not automatically make you dislike another one, and I do not like to make too much assumptions, but you seem not to understand this detail by how you speak about it

I would also like to point out that I am not here to force some discord and enmity on these forums, I am here just to present you a different, philosophical point of view to consider
Last edited by MadNomad on Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby cherryquartz » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:15 am

MadNomad wrote:
cherryquartz wrote:

I thought that racist is someone who dislikes other races and not someone who simply likes their own, because those two things are not of exactly the same meaning

I would also like to point out that I am not here to force some discord and enmity on these forums, I am here just to present you a different point of view to consider

You're saying players should be forced to spawn with other people that are like them, you don't want to play with people that aren't like you, how is that NOT racist? You're trying to encourage segregation. You want entire realms built up of people that are only one nationality/only speak a certain language, think about that for a second, really think about it.
cherryquartz

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas