Sensing danger in mining

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Sensing danger in mining

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:52 pm

I'll keep this suggestion short because it is the most problematic part of mining in my opinion.
As a person who did a SUBSTANTIAL amount of solo mining on layer 9 nothing is more annoying than having back to back to back max size slime packs spawns while digging a tunnel. When it happens, it is a necessity to run back and fight them (Unless you are a fucking titan and can facetank 12 slimes at once).
Running back to the opportune spot or just till you lose aggro, and then clearing them out, makes a person lose valuable time.
Now count that per trip ( I measure a trip until I spend 5000 energy), you can spawn anywhere from 2 to 6 packs of slimes or boreworms.
That is a lot of time being wasted, on top of mining already being very resource and time demanding.
Having multiple fights like these would make you wounded and weaker, generally ruining other potential trips down because you do not want to risk any more incidents.
What am I suggesting is to add an ability to sense danger in the tiles ahead. Something along the lines of last reward for finishing miner credo "Ability to sense ore ahead".
The ability would be acquired by finishing the cave hermit credo.
When mining a tile that has a slime seed or boreworm seed in it, it would say : "Something creeps in the stone" or "Something tremors in the stone". Area affected would be 3 by 3 ( same as ore sensing ability).
Yes, having this option to sense danger ahead would completely nullify the danger in mining, but that advantage could be lessened by :
1.Having a XP cost to activate similar to "mine song".
2.Having a cool-down between finding danger nodes.
Example : If I find a danger node, the game will alert me with a message if it try to mine dangerous tiles that belong to that node but it wont alert me to new danger nodes one in a period of 1 minute or so. A person could potentially still find a different danger node and just spawn a pack if they decided to mine a little bit away.
3. Slightly higher chance of danger nodes being in the ores compared to regular stone.
This would promote team-play in a positive way, instead of your townie just afk sitting waiting for something to happen.
The only problem I see about my suggestion is regarding the actual code, whether the monster packs are seeded in the tiles or procced on a %.
Hope you guys like it.
ZoddAlmighty

Re: Sensing danger in mining

Postby Vigilance » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:56 pm

i really like some of the ideas presented here. "something glimmers in the vein" this world was a great example of what can be done without making things too terribly cheaty. im sure there's some nuance that can be tweaked here and there with such a suggestion, but i absolutely think that "Surprise mechanics" like slimes detract from gameplay a little more than they add, the way they are currently implemented. Sometimes slogging through L9 is actually like pulling teeth.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:24 pm

Instead of spawning instantly, slimes could gradually seep from the walls?

Some sort of effect for the seeping, if you mine it anyway they are released instantly?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:43 pm

Bottom line, just a notification of some kinda that could point to danger. If I want by any chance to come back and farm slimes, ill mark the spot and activate them by mining out danger tiles.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby DoctorCookie » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:40 pm

I like this idea and tieing to cave hermit makes it no too OP.
DoctorCookie

Postby Vigilance » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:04 pm

Honestly, I think it'd be a better reward from miner and not cave hermit, unless we want to make cave hermit even more mandatory.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:11 pm

The clear answer is adding the 4th mining specific credo (arguably 5th)
DDDsDD999

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:The clear answer is adding the 4th mining specific credo (arguably 5th)

Spidermineman

my boulder sense is tingling
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:50 pm

This is way more helpful than the current reward. Would love to see something like this occur.
pawnchito

Return to Critique & Ideas