Market the game

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Market the game

Postby Ferinex » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:56 am

insta twitter facebook ads could be effective at getting new players in the door. the game feels much closer to gold/prod ready than back in the day. if you advertise it and new players try it, many will enjoy it and stay. that's just my observation. it seems the only player-attracting thing that happens is world resets
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Re: Market the game

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:08 am

I've previously held position that marketing would be waste, because you'd be paying for people to get potentially bad experience of the game. But over the years game has had so much improvement that I might start to agree. The long-requested "KO options menu" may be the one thing finally turning the scales.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:30 pm

No, this game might have progressed a lot (at a super mega slow pace), but it's not ready yet.

And even if it was close to ready, the devs are nowhere near ready.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Imagine the game would have 10-20k players online on average because of some great success or whatever. There would just be no fucking respawn anywhere and also mining has an endpoint, although I don't know how many manhours would be needed to mine out the entire map this would be an issue at some point.

I think those are some fundamental flaws that stop the game from growing and have actually nothing to do with how good/ polished the game is. Such things don't happen often but if you are not able to cash in on your 2% best outcomes you lose quite a lot of potential value from whatever you are doing.
Last edited by Pommfritz on Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pommfritz

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:06 pm

I think the real flaw is the dog shit tutorial and lack of good public client XD. Every person ive ever shown this game too had no clue what to do got bored and quit. (Some of them even being autistic griefers that would love this game but simply gave it no chance)
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby shubla » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Game has very bad player retention, and big issues with devs not getting rid of certain people and/or mechanics that they should which will cause everybody to just badmouth the game about how its community is so toxic.
Usage of money for marketing would be the worst use of devs earnings I'm quite sure.

Devs have stated earlier anyways that they think that good game should spread from mouth to mouth.

Server cannot even handle more than 1k players at a time.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:07 pm

shubla wrote:Game has very bad player retention, and big issues with devs not getting rid of certain people and/or mechanics that they should which will cause everybody to just badmouth the game about how its community is so toxic.
Usage of money for marketing would be the worst use of devs earnings I'm quite sure.

Devs have stated earlier anyways that they think that good game should spread from mouth to mouth.

Server cannot even handle more than 1k players at a time.

“Getting rid of certain people” lmao retard why are you so mad. play stupid games on forums win stupid prizes in game.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Fostik » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:39 pm

While alpha released games that are pretty hardcore receiving hype quite often, you look back and see that hafen is actually already pretty good, more developed and has deeper mechanics than most of the recent popular indie games.

On the other hand, steps such as marketing or steam release would led developers into unbearable difficulties they may face.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Ferinex » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 pm

Fostik wrote:While alpha released games that are pretty hardcore receiving hype quite often, you look back and see that hafen is actually already pretty good, more developed and has deeper mechanics than most of the recent popular indie games.

On the other hand, steps such as marketing or steam release would led developers into unbearable difficulties they may face.

no risk, no reward. :!:
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby WowGain » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:44 am

shubla wrote:big issues with devs not getting rid of certain people and/or mechanics that they should which will cause everybody to just badmouth the game about how its community is so toxic.

brave to ask jorbtar to get rid of you
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas